Mortal auto-attacking troops

then why are you getting ratio-ed so hard lol

So you ran out of arguments. I wish you a good life pal.

I wish siege elephants were building and artillery locked as mortars were. Attacking infantry instead of walls is annoying af for an already expensive and easy-to-counter unit.

In case to get a buff, it would be only for captured ones from native civs, which doesnt have any artillery (but Haude) vs infantry, they cost more pop slots and can be trained only from embassies.

Iā€™m full in to remove that. Itā€™s not good. It was possible in the beta from 2004 , but they removed it for good reasons.

Artillery in general needs a second look currently, especially their behaviour but also their balance.

F.e. Heavy cannons only beeing used when thereā€™s a gimick build for them or their pop getting significantly lowered. Incidentally the bombard has both a gimmick via shipments and a 25% pop lowering and now on occaision you see one from ottos.
Papal bombard is just not worth 8 pop or the opportunity cost of the single ita factory, nvm the fact that despite beeing a inf shipment it getā€™s beat by the falc-culv basically everytime.
Horse arty basically making falcs near extinct unless the civ has the 2 falc cards.
Handmortar and flying crow beeing justā€¦ bad to use/ feel bad to use.

No. It should be able to attack inf but it should get modes it canā€™t override. Also the upgrade is literally called howitzer which was used against infantry and should come to dominate by WW1, though i think the unit also should get a reskin.

same with chinese hand mortar for years. they should target cannons or buildings.

1 Like

I donā€™t have an issue with mortars being able to target units it was always annoying when there were no building either left in range or around you and mortars couldnā€™t shoot at units they were just wasting pop space. I think they should always target buildings when in range or just make a button that needs clicked to enable it when they are in firing mode.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but this shouldnā€™t be done. If I made Mortars I want them to do what theyā€™re supposed to do. The HP is useful when attacking buildings (as it makes them tanky and can force a potential overcommitment from the enemy as they take a while trying to kill them) and arguably thatā€™s the only thing they should be good at because they are very good at it.

I donā€™t believe their ability to attack infantry should be buffed at all. The only thing that needs to change is they need to prioritize buildings over units.

1 Like

Mortars do prioritize buildings Sometimesā€¦Emphasis on sometimes. I tested this on several modes too and not just treaty. It depends on where you click when attack moving and if the Mortar detects a building near it. Instead of a building in range.

I get what you mean and this is a pain. There should be a button. That makes mortars unable to attack units to fix this issue.

4 modes: Limber, Explosive (against units) and Solid against buildings, and free fire.

Overcomplicate an already perfect unit back in the day.

They didnt need x2 vs walls, either attack to units

1 Like