Multiplayer is laggy in current patch

I have had this same issue and it is really frustrating. I am on steam and my computer is way over powered for the game. I thought it was my router, but my connection is fine.

1 Like

Iā€™ve played 3 or 4 games on the new patch, including (2) 1v1 ranked matches, one super long and large 3v3 and the performance seems to have improved back to what I had on the earlier patched. Also, Iā€™ve noticed I somehow get almost half the ping of before for my preferred severs, 50-60 instead of 100 for East USA. I dont wanna jinx it, but has anyone else still gotten the lag from before or is it better for you as well?

i kinda ā€œfixedā€ the lag by using vpn. not super smooth but playable. since the latest patch today i got better ping to servers euro servers now at 30 ms, was 120 before. first test with ai was promising, but havent tried a proper game yet.

has the latest patch fixed the lag for you guys?

Lag seems to be fixed by last server maintainance (that also fixed team games match making). Now the lag seems back. Yesterday i played some games and some of them where pretty laggy.

In one game i talked about it with opponent. We were both from mainland Europa and we played on UK server. I checked other games and those were also played on UK server.

What i really dont understand is why i play mainly on UK server (OK, UK isnt that far), but second most just server in USA. I almost never played on EU server.

I tried to scout rush, but it was just impossible. Freezes over 10 secondes. It only this me, not the enemy. Enemy was fully walled. I tried to break in. Result: Before i even saw that my units were moving, he already had a villagers at the pallisade to repair.

Multiple freezes over 10 seconds. No freezes for enemyā€¦ Not fair at all. In the end i lost because of the lag. Otherwise it would be pretty equal and i dont really know why would win.

Was played at UK server. I have no problems with my wifi, so that isnt the issue to meā€¦

@GMEvangelos when will this lag be fixed? Any ETA.

I never had this much lag. The game was just unplayable on my end (1v1 ranked).

2 Likes

@GMEvangelos can you introduce even more lag please? My units are still moving way too fast.

1 Like

I heard many complaints about 1v1 RM at UK server. Most of my lag is also for 1v1 RM on UK server. Is there an issue with UK server and 1v1 RM games?

@GMEvangelos

2 Likes

I was playing on Black Forest yesterday. It was just myself, my wife and 4 ai on standard and experienced this rubber band effect but oddly my wife didnt.

I was recording at the time it starts to happen roughly about 15 minutes in.

Iā€™m glad it isnt just me to be fair. I thought it was an issue with my laptop which is not underpowered at all.

Alienware 15 R3
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820HK @ 2.90Ghz (burst up to 4.4ghz)
16gb Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Running on an 2TB SSD.

1 Like

My friend and I experienced this issue yesterday (and had previously experienced it off / on for the last several weeks.) After reviewing this thread we noted that,

1. It appears to be related to multiplayer only (no issues with single player)
  2. It was not related to bandwidth (the slowest player had over 100 meg)
  3. Not related to PC specs (the better computer took longer to experience the issue, but still experienced it within 10 minutes.)

Noting that the issue did appear on again / off again and restarting the computer only seemed to help for a short time, we made the following adjustments:

1. We reduced the population cap from 300 to 200 (lag was always introduced before the 50 unit thresh hold was crossed, but we have heard of issues when the game is set to 300 units before.)
  2. We changed the AI being used from AI (HD) to AI.

No other adjustments were made, and the next game played flawlessly.

Can anyone else provide context on what settings you are using for the game when you are experiencing the issue? Any commonality related to either of the above two variables?

1 Like

This sounds like exactly what has been happening for me. After 40-60 mins the game will slow down for maybe 5-10 seconds and then over the course of 2 seconds it will fast forward to where they actually are, only to go back into the slow mode. Still playable if it starts happening in late game but it would be very debilitating to try and win early game without the ability to micro.

I did not experience it before the most recent (end of April 2020) patch to my knowledge.

I just played a ranked match where it happened about 30 minutes ago

1. Two Human Players
  2. No AI
  3. 1v1 Ranked
  4. Serengeti
  5. 1v1 Ranked RM
  6. NA
  7. US (West)
  8. I asked the other player and they did not experience any lag
  9. The game ended normally with one player resigning, but I lost the ability to micro effectively.
  10. Upload link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n6He-E1x9xjcyoLhfnF2B-cylDSuUSrM

I also played a few games with my dad against the AI and it happened in both of those games

1. 2 human players (I was host)
  2. 2 AI players (DE version)
  3. 2v2 unranked games
  4. Lombardia / Team Islands
  5. Multiplayer
  6. Moderate both games, Lombardia: Portuguese & Chinese, Team Islands: Koreans and Vikings
  7. Both on US (East)
  8. Only me
  9. Games ended normally, it slowed down around the hour mark for both I think
  10. Lombardia: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NrwkHUyMtbkvXv05oeNvZ17HLN5eVAfO, Team Islands: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19McmAiJZO5TvCXsM8g0Lvul_1EjLUneN
1 Like

I have same issue. Huge lag in 1v1s and the game suddenly fast forwards. It started happening recently. Any idea when will it get fixed?

I am from Moscow , multiplayer so lag ,the game for me is unplayable

1. How many human players are in the match? 2 players
  2. How many AI players are in the match? 0
  3. How are the teams balance? 11xx
  4. What map are you playing? basic every map in map pool
  5. What game mode are you playing?? Random Map - Ranked
  6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization? 2
  7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN? ukwest or euwest
  8. Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only? I think only me
  9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect? It ended with lots of lag and I JUST QUIET becasuse thats just unplayable
  10. If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link. The same like other people here who send their vd,but more lag a bit

the lag only in multiplay, against AI is ok

I am from China. Just tried ranked games these few days and nearly all my first 10 ranked games are in Brazil. I think my archers once stop shooting mid-click due to the lag.

1. How many human players are in the match? 4/6/8
  2. How many AI players are in the match? 0
  3. How are the teams balance? quite good. around 1k
  4. What map are you playing? oasis, hill fort
  5. What game mode are you playing?? ranked team
  6. If playing with AI, what is their difficulty / civilization? n/a
  7. Are you playing on a Server? Which one, specifically? LAN? Brazil
  8. Who experiences the lag? Everyone? The host only? not sure. myself at least
  9. How does the game end? Does it crash? Do you eventually disconnect? end normally.
  10. If you have the saved game file or a video, please upload it and include a link.
    oasis: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Epy6Q5b8QUFqri9AOPfd_7-dwPkdsbKV
    hill fort: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aWGIGDzr9ABHfjj7gf8P7p5ykQRUTXif

has anybody else tried using a vpn? you could get a free try-out month and see if it helpsā€¦

So weeks later still no fix. Here is my original video +3 more for you guys after recent patches. Still lagging the same way. Everything is fine on my end. Still havenā€™t bought the game for my friends yet. Check notes at bottom of document for when lag spikes and game becomes unplayable.

1 Like

Nothing change yet ,still lag on line play

1 Like

The game ran pretty smoothly for a while but know this issue is back again since a few days. The game almost freezes and then tries to catch up. Sometimes my opponent has the same problem but most of the time it is just me. I had four or five games that lagged extremely since yesterday and lost almost all of them. Pretty frustrating to be honest.

2 Likes

Just lost a game i should have won in ranked ladder b/c im lagging and my opponent is not. And i have a brand new high-performance pc.

@GMEvangelos
Hello, i sugest to put back tthe no ranking point <1min any player cant play anymore because 1/2 games have one of player have red clock in matchmaking its boring to not be possible to leave the game before 1 min anymore
or make it possible when one player have red clock pls just PLS

The lag improved / is almost vanished for me. Is this only me?