Multiplayer matching system

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: latest
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Matching system on multiplayer. Two times in a row another player and I matched for “Enclosed” when he wanted “Arena” and I wanted “Arabia”

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)
  • 25% of the time / matches I play (SOMETIMES)
  • 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)
  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Matchup on multiplayer

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

No idea now.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

1 Like

What is the issue with this?

If you favorite Arabia and banned Arena and he favorite Arena and banned Arabia, then neither of you gets your favorite map (since it is banned by at a least one player), so the system picks another non banned map.

Based on this report i dont know the bug. I like you also dont know your expected result… So how can the devs solve an unknown issue with an unknown expected result!?

I did not think that part through, no. However, you don’t know which maps he or I banned, that was an assumption. In this case, it did turn out true, since I did ban arena.

How the system works (i’ll focus on 1v1 to make it easy, you can generalize it to team games as well:

1. 2 players got matched.
  2. A map get picked.

Picking a map goes as follow:

1. Banned maps by a player are not available for the system to pick.
  2. If there is no favorite map left: pick an map randomly.
  3. If there is one favorite map left: you play on that map.
  4. If there are 2 favorite maps left: each of these map is picked with a probability of 50%.

Knowing this algorithm and hearing your story, i came to previous conclusion. You already told me it was true for you. And it is probably true for him as well.

This is just how the system works. So this isnt a bug.