Musketeer-type units should be handled with care

no one uses that in multiplayer (perhaps in treaty?). The Naturalist (2vils+2 cows) or the Quartermaster (400w) are the meta (only viable age up politicians).

2 Likes

Portuguese Logistician, as good as it is, is still not worth the 100 extra Food and slower Age Up time.
No one, in Supremacy, uses Logistician.
Brits Musks will body Ports Musks, by Age 3, because they get all their card sooner, get Vills faster (Vills from House building is faster than from multiple TCs), and have better Economy.

This is why no one plays with Ports Musks, even though they benefit from the same cards as Caçadores, which is the Meta unit.

1 Like

I just prefer Portugal because I can have good musks and skirmishers and the economy is less tedious. Portugal feels more like what Britain should have been with an actual Napoleonic army and not Longbowmen haha.

Instead, th devs gave us an Artillery unit from the 100 Years War, which we did not even fight on, instead of the Falconet which we extensively used.

1 Like

Yeah organ gun is pretty random, still at least they can still get all the other arty like horse cannons, culverins, heavy cannons so you’re not stuck with an archaic unit the whole game.

I dont want to derail the thread though I’ll just say ‘European Rework please’ and leave it at that!

British economy outclasses every civ in the game except for japan and Sweden. Mainly because the Portuguese economy is very slow to take off, British are quite fast to take off and can defend early attacks pretty easily compared to port japan or Sweden. Brit can defend early pressure simply by making units as well and Portugal can by shipping colonial militia. When you consider that towards the start of a game Portugal cannot make villagers constantly from all their tc until mid fortress, Brit 2tc easily out eco port, of course that’s not mentioning port water, but it’s not every game you can go water. Cassadors are very strong also while ports have royal guard dragoon, Brit have more cav ups than port, it turns out that fully carded Brit dragoon’s are just as good as port dragoon’s fully carded except ports have a card for a slight range boost, but almost no one uses that in 1v1 brit goons smash port goons age 3 Brit get cav combat cav hp and cav attack, port only get dragoon combat falcs are better than organ guns except possibly In mass. Only thing port does better than Brit is in the skirm category but I think if port can take a 4 tp stagecoach they will be evenly matched with Brit as long as they can hold the tp line all game (easier said than done) or if port has water, but don’t forget that Brit water boom is almost on par with port water boom and that Brit have a far superior land boom that they can do in conjunction with the water boom since both booms just require having a surplus of wood

1 Like

Dude, come on … What’s with this post man ? wtf.
Muskets are fine as they are. Just use Skirmishers to counter them.
If you want to lame, just go with France. You have there the best hand cavalry, the best artillery, the best skirmishers…

Ah, all I meant was it was less tedious because you don’t have to keep tasking the villagers that spawn from the houses haha. Pushing villagers out the town centres with rally points is easier on my dyspraxic brain! :slight_smile:

Will you pay me if I teach you how to read?

Ah, that makes more sense I think ports do have an age 4 edge over most civilizations because cassador organ Gun goon is a nice composition because it scales very well

i mean if ports where historically correct they would basically not have a cavalry unit, except maybe the most vanilla hussars, cavalry just wasn’t something the portugese used a lot of in the periode.

1 Like

They would have Hussars, and possibly Dragoons, but no real upgrade cards for them.
Instead, they would have upgrade cards for Artillery, or Mercenaries, which were more important and feasible to field, for Portugal.

Everything but that please

But European civs really need a rework, specially the Revolution system, atht should be discarded for something actually useful.

This game is not Total War so completely reworking a faction with new mechanics is unrealistic. Not to mention these civs are well-studied and their play styles are simple and very effective.

But they can at least add a few new units, cards or techs that introduces more flavor and greater variety, just to keep up with the new civs, even with the new European or “semi-European” civs (Swedes and US). The reworked revolution is a nice try but that (1) still needs more work (2) should not be limited to revolution only.

2 Likes

The Swedes got completely new mechanics in a patch (they way their mercenaries work).

1 Like

Yeah but that’s still not the same level of “rework” like having a whole new list of features (like Total War Warhammer 1 factions in Warhammer 2), or a completely different mechanics (like English in Civ 6), because those games are more casual.

The Swedish mercenary is exactly the kind of “rework” I’d expect for old civs.

1 Like

I actually have an idea that could work, when going to age 4(or maybe to age 5) you get to choose if you want to be a monarchy or a republic. And depending on witch one you choose to pick you will unlock one or two new technologies for example French going to age 4 if they pick monarchy can have a tech to boost their cavalry hp but reduce cavalry train time significantly, or if they choose republic they get a boost to artillery attack, but all artillery cost one more population. Kind of like church techs they don’t have a cost but have a downside to them as well.

1 Like

My idea was somewhat like this, but more tailored to each civ, and their History.

1 Like

I remember that idea but I really didn’t think the devs want to do a more individual approach because there are nine euro civs but from a gameplay perspective your idea is clearly better

1 Like