My ideas for old civs after Dawn of the Dukes

What I talking about and what you talking about?
I mean it is fine to be not 100% correct but should not be 100% incorrect.

Guess we gotta start changing all sorts or bonuses, unique techs and units then.

This is not rhe game to play if you want historically accurate stuff.

The mayans are wrong on so many levels it’s not funny

They literally ran themselves out of resources. Yet look at one of their bonuses.

They abhorred the use of the bow. But they are an archer civ.

Wth does a civ in Central America have to do with El dorado?

2 Likes

Unfortiunately the only segment I would agree with is giving the Spanish crosbowmen. The rest I personally don’t see a need for.

What I would however deem interesting is to add the following:

Vikings.

Have Vikings lose Arbalerster but instead they get Halbedier, have their longboats be able to attack as well as transport units (Infantry only) (loses transport ships but they have non attacking Longboats in feudal age.)

Byzantines.

Have Byzantines lose Hand cannoneer, bombard cannon and bombard tower, Change civ unique tech 1 to : Justinian Reforms - Sword line +1 Melee armour.
(Optional) Enables the technology of Varangian Guard in Imperial age.
In Imperial age , Byzanitne army gain access to a special unit in the Barracks called the Varangian Guard. - Expensive , slow moving but difficult to convert with a limited build amount.
Since the Byzantines are a Defencive civ, the Varangian Guards can have a high attack boost when in the vicinity of a TC or Castle but outside a certain radius from these buildings the VG should loose the strong attack bonus and just be as strong as a normal Champion.
(Highly loyal guards of the Emperor)

Unique tech 2 remains Logistica.

African ,Mezzo,

African and mezzo civs should only have canoe navies. Able to fire arrows ,fast ,agile and only using 0.5 pop space but they don’t have access to Gally line ,nor fire ships, nor cannon. Gallons. All canoes can carry/transport 3-5 units.

Idk, could be too strong being able to mass longboats from feudal…

I like the feature, but lose bombard cannon doesn´t compensate it imo

I would like to see a more “realistic” water techs for mesos and African, but being realistic, i don´t expect that

Just make it expencive thus only 1 or two can be aforded in the early game.

Just trying to counter the ‘‘YOU WANT BYZANTINES TO BE TO STRONG.’’ camp.

Most of these changes I feel are change just for the sake of it. I don’t think any of them improve the gameplay of these civs at all. I appreciate your ideas and willingness to contribute but it seems like AoE2’s community is obsessed with balance changes way more than it should be.

2 Likes