My thoughts so far (release version)

Whew, finally unlocked Scout Cavalry after posting 10 times (3 comments to unlock my ■■■), and this is only the prelude to all the bugs and finicky things that are wrong with this “remake”.

I said in the beta that I was disappointed with the game’s current state and that this was no remake, but that I had hopes that they’d fix the game before the beta was over and… well… they haven’t.

There are still no formations. This was a technological limitation in the OG game, but they made it into a “feature”. If you’re concerned that formations weren’t a thing in the stone age, here’s a simple fix for you: make it a gov’t center or academy tech in the bronze age. Then it’d make sense history-wise, and you’d have an actual feature.

There are still no farm reseeds. Now this isn’t mandatory for the game to be considered a remake like formations, but it’d still be a nice thing to have.

There are still no gates. If you’re gonna say they weren’t a thing in the stone age I’ll agree with you but again, there were palisade gates before stone walls were even popular, so they should be available as a tech in the bronze age.

The pathfinding is somehow worse than the OG… I have no idea how that’s possible.

The AI is still completely braindead, and useless on water maps. Again, this was a limitation… don’t make it a feature.

The amount of maps is still extremely limited. If you want people other than veterans to play the game, you’ll need some diversity. Just look at AoE2 HD.

No modding capability. The game won’t survive long with vanilla content alone, especially if it remains as stale as it currently is.

The Hittite campaign is lacking scenarios. I know they were basically tutorials, but they’re still content and a remake needs MORE content than the OG, not less.

Can’t queue more than one kind of units in one building. Again, old limitations aren’t features.

Classic mode doesn’t extend to the campaigns. That’s just dumb, I know a great many people who got the remake just so they could play the game they know and love on modern PCs instead of having to boot VMWare or something; they don’t want to play modified versions that were made easier.

No way to switch to the old music. Let’s face it, the remixed tracks just aren’t as good as the OG.

Literally the only useful thing that was added to the game that wasn’t in the beta is tech trees… that’s it.

I said it before and I’m regretfully saying it again now, but this isn’t a remake; it’s just a fresh coat of paint on an old, rusty car.

TL;DR : Devs, don’t be lazy and use the old “this isn’t a bug, it’s a feature!”. Old limitations have no reason for existing in a modern remake.

EDIT 2/20 : Another new thing I found is that the way they “rebalanced” the game made most civs completely useless. Unit bonuses but no promotions, economy bonuses that you can’t actually use, bonuses for units they aren’t good at using, etc. Meanwhile, they made Yamato absolutely OP.

EDIT 2/21 : New gripe, hotkeys don’t persist between launches, so you have to change 'em every time.

Does it support saving and restoring multiplayer games?

Here’s a simple answer to all of your questions. This game was designed to replicate the original AOE - there won’t be anything new just optimized graphics and netcode. I believe this was was the main focus. If a feature was not available in the original - don’t expect it to be in the DE version either.

So farm reseeding + unit formations won’t be included.

However, AI improvements, path-finding issues, mods, new map creation and the ability to choose from old or new music should be looked at.

I’m sure these issues will be fixed in upcoming updates.

■■■■, this post covers most of my actual criticism of the AoE: DE version… However, here’s one of my little nitpicks I am trying to restore in the new version: dead unit decay. In the original version, dead units would start to decay, before becoming skeletons, before fading out. I know this is just a detail… But it really was a neat detail, that original players, such as me, probably noticed. I love the new building destruction sprites, I am sure the AoE: DE team can restore the old-school, AoE unit decomposition.

If they could just fix the pathfinding of all units I could forgive almost everything else. You’re right, the pathfinding in this game is somehow even worse than in the original. It badly needs to be fixed. Badly.

The pathfinding in this game is a crime against humanity…

Have anyone else noticed that command queuing is somehow clunky? I tried to order a villager to build a house and then when done to go and chop some trees. When I do that the villager will just skip the building and go directly to the forest. Now this is a bug for sure.

@Ibuuyk said:
Whew, finally unlocked Scout Cavalry after posting 10 times (3 comments to unlock my ****), and this is only the prelude to all the bugs and finicky things that are wrong with this “remake”.

I said in the beta that I was disappointed with the game’s current state and that this was no remake, but that I had hopes that they’d fix the game before the beta was over and… well… they haven’t.

There are still no formations. This was a technological limitation in the OG game, but they made it into a “feature”. If you’re concerned that formations weren’t a thing in the stone age, here’s a simple fix for you: make it a gov’t center or academy tech in the bronze age. Then it’d make sense history-wise, and you’d have an actual feature.

There are still no farm reseeds. Now this isn’t mandatory for the game to be considered a remake like formations, but it’d still be a nice thing to have; or at least make it so you can walk through farms.

There are still no gates. If you’re gonna say they weren’t a thing in the stone age I’ll agree with you but again, there were palisade gates before stone walls were even popular, so they should be available as a tech in the bronze age.

The pathfinding is somehow worse than the OG… I have no idea how that’s possible.

The AI is still completely braindead, and useless on water maps. Again, this was a limitation… don’t make it a feature.

The amount of maps is still extremely limited. If you want people other than veterans to play the game, you’ll need some diversity. Just look at AoE2 HD.

No modding capability. The game won’t survive long with vanilla content alone, especially if it remains as stale as it currently is.

The Hittite campaign is lacking scenarios. I know they were basically tutorials, but they’re still content and a remake needs MORE content than the OG, not less.

Can’t queue more than one kind of units in one building. Again, old limitations aren’t features.

Classic mode doesn’t extend to the campaigns. That’s just dumb, I know a great many people who got the remake just so they could play the game they know and love on modern PCs instead of having to boot VMWare or something; they don’t want to play modified versions that were made easier.

No way to switch to the old music. Let’s face it, the remixed tracks just aren’t as good as the OG.

Literally the only useful thing that was added to the game that wasn’t in the beta is tech trees… that’s it.

I said it before and I’m regretfully saying it again now, but this isn’t a remake; it’s just a fresh coat of paint on an old, rusty car.

TL;DR : Devs, don’t be lazy and use the old “this isn’t a bug, it’s a feature!”. Old limitations have no reason for existing in a modern remake.

Thank you! At last someone else see what I already saw back in the beta build! This is NOT a remastered edition but a copy paste of the original game with the same problems only looking a bit better!

They’ll probably never fix this because they went all the way to releasing this game so in their eyes it’s “done”.

You are just one of those typical negative people, just focusing on the negative things you see when this is a great game already. I know it’s not a perfect game and I’m sure they’ll keep working on fixing details and making it better and better, but why just focus on the stuff you dislike?

First you talk about formations, in my mind really dont get why you really need that, it’s ridiculous, the original game never had that, why would they include it in this remake? it makes no sense, for me when I see formations in my mind it’s already aoe2, I dont want that for this remake at all.

Then you talk about farms reseeds, same thing again, THAT NEVER EXISTED in the original game, and I love that it forces players to be extremely focused on the economy AND army, having the automatic reseeds just make things way too easy, I know it exists in aoe2 and that’s fine but I see no reason why they should include it in this one, dont be lazy and multitask, that’s it.

Gates… seriously? you complain about not having gates? are u gonna tell me that u create gates in every match you play? I dont know but I barely use regular walls when needed to prevent rushes and that’s it, once your economy is good you just destroy the walls and go ahead to attack, again, not a big deal not having it and that was also never a thing in the original game.

I know pathfinding was a thing in the beta, even I mentioned it too during the testing, but right now it’s working good to me, in fact, it has improved A LOT since the first version of the beta.

About the AI, I have no comments, I just dont play single player, in my opinion the fun in this game is all about multiplayer.

I’m not gonna keep going with every single point u talk about because it’s just pointless, I just wanna say that I do not agree with anything you said at all.

“No way to switch to the old music. Let’s face it, the remixed tracks just aren’t as good as the OG.”
WHAT??? the new music is in a whole new level, much much better than before and they keep the same vibes

Enjoy the game guys, it’s awesome to have this one back! :smile:

@PunjabiSpartans said:
Here’s a simple answer to all of your questions. This game was designed to replicate the original AOE - there won’t be anything new just optimized graphics and netcode. I believe this was was the main focus. If a feature was not available in the original - don’t expect it to be in the DE version either.

So farm reseeding + unit formations won’t be included.

However, AI improvements, path-finding issues, mods, new map creation and the ability to choose from old or new music should be looked at.

I’m sure these issues will be fixed in upcoming updates.

Hi mate,

I fail to see the logic behind of going all this way to just release a remastered edition of an old game when it’s exactly the same way as the original game, with only a bit better graphics.

What they should have done is to give us a remastered version of today’s quality of life improvements to make AoE one of the best RTS games out there. And should you not like this then you can always play the original game on a Windows XP computer then.

This is coming from someone that loved AoE back in 97, but sadly the game hasn’t aged very well which is understandable. It’s impossible to go back to a old game like that and not get annoyed by the missing features or path finding error etc, this to me looks like only like a lot of lazy work from the developers side.

Yep absolutly true, I’ve play the beta and some bug are fixed but his not a remaster, when you remastred a game please do NOT copy paste the older one.
Dev’s you say it’s a remastered game and the only thing you have done so far is : remastered the graphics (ok it’s nice), the music ( some people say no but ok…) and the menu/settings.
The least you can do is : take the orignal game, fix all issues, bugs etc… and add some new stuff to improve gameplay for each of us.
I know making a game is difficult, you need time, money etc… but do it great once and for all.
My game is freezing since the last patch : build 5095 , I dont know why but I will investigate.

I have to agree with Fyrapan, I am an old-school player of the game, but in the DE, I would expect some improvement on the pathfinding of villagers and maybe gate features. Pathfinding a basic thing honestly, I have had villagers unable to gather from a foraging bush. That is not normal.

Awesome

@Fyrapan said:

@Ibuuyk said:
Whew, finally unlocked Scout Cavalry after posting 10 times (3 comments to unlock my ****), and this is only the prelude to all the bugs and finicky things that are wrong with this “remake”.

There are still no farm reseeds. Now this isn’t mandatory for the game to be considered a remake like formations, but it’d still be a nice thing to have; or at least make it so you can walk through farms.

Thank you! At last someone else see what I already saw back in the beta build! This is NOT a remastered edition but a copy paste of the original game with the same problems only looking a bit better!

They’ll probably never fix this because they went all the way to releasing this game so in their eyes it’s “done”.

This was obviously, no gates, no farming reseeding, no unique units, no heroes, no formations, no new mechanics, no unique skins.

@xGurbyx said:
You are just one of those typical negative people, just focusing on the negative things you see when this is a great game already. I know it’s not a perfect game and I’m sure they’ll keep working on fixing details and making it better and better, but why just focus on the stuff you dislike?

First you talk about formations, in my mind really dont get why you really need that, it’s ridiculous, the original game never had that, why would they include it in this remake? it makes no sense, for me when I see formations in my mind it’s already aoe2, I dont want that for this remake at all.

Then you talk about farms reseeds, same thing again, THAT NEVER EXISTED in the original game, and I love that it forces players to be extremely focused on the economy AND army, having the automatic reseeds just make things way too easy, I know it exists in aoe2 and that’s fine but I see no reason why they should include it in this one, dont be lazy and multitask, that’s it.

Gates… seriously? you complain about not having gates? are u gonna tell me that u create gates in every match you play? I dont know but I barely use regular walls when needed to prevent rushes and that’s it, once your economy is good you just destroy the walls and go ahead to attack, again, not a big deal not having it and that was also never a thing in the original game.

I know pathfinding was a thing in the beta, even I mentioned it too during the testing, but right now it’s working good to me, in fact, it has improved A LOT since the first version of the beta.

About the AI, I have no comments, I just dont play single player, in my opinion the fun in this game is all about multiplayer.

I’m not gonna keep going with every single point u talk about because it’s just pointless, I just wanna say that I do not agree with anything you said at all.

“No way to switch to the old music. Let’s face it, the remixed tracks just aren’t as good as the OG.”
WHAT??? the new music is in a whole new level, much much better than before and they keep the same vibes

First of all if you really like the game then GOOD for you! Please by all mean go play it and have a good time but don’t speak for the rest of us! A lot of us are very passionate of getting a very solid AoE remastered edition and this is NOT it.

1. I don’t care that a lot of these features wasn’t included in the original game but it probably had to do with different things like not enough time or even a restraint of what they could do back in 97 technology wise which created technical issue’s.

2. What worked back then in 97 doesn’t always work right in today’s standard of 2018. Anyone can see this that has some experience in gaming in general. There has been HUGE amount of improvements, quality of life changes in RTS games + in games in general that make old games look like garbage.

I’m sorry but this is the hard truth, I loved the old game but it’s in nowhere near a remastered edition that most of us expect it to be.

1. And if for some strange reason you should have any issues them fixing this for us you can always go back to play the original game, because you like it so much! That’s alright but I don’t understand why anyone would not want to see their beloved game to become even better!

This is my opinion so please respect it as I respect yours.

Take care

@Fyrapan said:

@Ibuuyk said:

Sounds like someone needs to learn the difference between a remaster and a remake. A remaster is NOTHING more than a copy/paste of original games. If it added new features that weren’t part of the original game, than it would be called remake. Sure there are certain bugs that ought to be looked at, but new features that take away from the original feel should NOT be added.

The real problem is that according to me, this DE version of AoE was heavily focused on multiplayer games which somehow “abandoned” the campaigns, singleplayer and the rest, logical features that were stated in the topic. The point is not to just follow blindly and agree with everything that the developers made, but to be real and to criticize in order to make this game even better. As I said multiple times, most of the civs don’t feel in the right historical spot ( I am a historian in real life though ) such as recruiting units far from even existing in timeframes and periods. If they felt that making each civ have individual units sets is too much work, they could have simply created a civ groups like with the building groups already present. This game should definitely be moddable or will loose interest. Also it would be a nice addition to add small changes that will apply to every civ in terms of new units like upgrades for Scouts, Axemen, Camels etc. So far I completed two campaigns ( First Punic War and the Hittites ) and I felt that they lack bigger battle proportions especially for the last scenarios where you are set in re creating actual battles.

@Fyrapan said:

@xGurbyx said:

First of all if you really like the game then GOOD for you! Please by all mean go play it and have a good time but don’t speak for the rest of us! A lot of us are very passionate of getting a very solid AoE remastered edition and this is NOT it.

1. I don’t care that a lot of these features wasn’t included in the original game but it probably had to do with different things like not enough time or even a restraint of what they could do back in 97 technology wise which created technical issue’s.

2. What worked back then in 97 doesn’t always work right in today’s standard of 2018. Anyone can see this that has some experience in gaming in general. There has been HUGE amount of improvements, quality of life changes in RTS games + in games in general that make old games look like garbage.

I’m sorry but this is the hard truth, I loved the old game but it’s in nowhere near a remastered edition that most of us expect it to be.

1. And if for some strange reason you should have any issues them fixing this for us you can always go back to play the original game, because you like it so much! That’s alright but I don’t understand why anyone would not want to see their beloved game to become even better!

Take care

Clearly you do NOT understand what the definition of remaster is lol. In short, a remaster is NOTHING more than old content being repackaged with better sound and graphics. If anything beyond that was done, it would NO LONGER be a remaster. It’d be a full on remake. Their goal was NOT to remake the game but to remaster it. The game currently is a very solid remaster of the original AoE actually, contrary to you claims, because it does simply what a remaster is actually suppose to do. That being said, there are certainly some bugs that should be looked at, and I’m sure they’re aware of most of them and are working on them.

@xGurbyx said:

Well yeah, I’m glad to at least be able to play the game without VMWare, I just wish it at least ran as well as the OG. Also, you said it yourself, you’re mostly a multiplayer player so your gameplay is completely different than mine and you most likely have completely different complaints about the game. Farm reseeds, gates, formations, and AI isn’t as important to you 'cause chances are you micromanage things more closely and focus on other aspects of the game, but I’m a singleplayer player first and foremost, and I can tell ya those things could be helluva appreciated in the campaigns. As things stand, for a singleplayer player the best option is still to play the OG version on VMWare, especially since you can mod the old game more easily.

Fryapan and Ibuuyk say the whole truth about the actual game.
I can’t understand the need to remastered a game if you just take the old game and do nothing more, this is bullshit.
They just spend money and time for nothing…
I’m very disappointed about the release, dev’s haven’t reed all of our comments or just a part of it ?
The importance of the forum is necessary to any game especially when there is a beta
I expected more of this remaster, I thought AoE:DE going to be a nice game but it’s not.

@ExportedClown72 said:
@Fyrapan said:

@xGurbyx said:
 You are just one of those typical negative people, just focusing on the negative things you see when this is a great game already. I know it's not a perfect game and I'm sure they'll keep working on fixing details and making it better and better, but why just focus on the stuff you dislike?

First you talk about formations, in my mind really dont get why you really need that, it's ridiculous, the original game never had that, why would they include it in this remake? it makes no sense, for me when I see formations in my mind it's already aoe2, I dont want that for this remake at all.

Then you talk about farms reseeds, same thing again, THAT NEVER EXISTED in the original game, and I love that it forces players to be extremely focused on the economy AND army, having the automatic reseeds just make things way too easy, I know it exists in aoe2 and that's fine but I see no reason why they should include it in this one, dont be lazy and multitask, that's it.

Gates... seriously? you complain about not having gates? are u gonna tell me that u create gates in every match you play? I dont know but I barely use regular walls when needed to prevent rushes and that's it, once your economy is good you just destroy the walls and go ahead to attack, again, not a big deal not having it and that was also never a thing in the original game.

I know pathfinding was a thing in the beta, even I mentioned it too during the testing, but right now it's working good to me, in fact, it has improved A LOT since the first version of the beta.

I'm not gonna keep going with every single point u talk about because it's just pointless, I just wanna say that I do not agree with anything you said at all.

"No way to switch to the old music. Let's face it, the remixed tracks just aren't as good as the OG."
 WHAT????? the new music is in a whole new level, much much better than before and they keep the same vibes

Enjoy the game guys, it's awesome to have this one back! :smile:

First of all if you really like the game then GOOD for you! Please by all mean go play it and have a good time but don't speak for the rest of us! A lot of us are very passionate of getting a very solid AoE remastered edition and this is NOT it.

1) I don't care that a lot of these features wasn't included in the original game but it probably had to do with different things like not enough time or even a restraint of what they could do back in 97 technology wise which created technical issue's.

2) What worked back then in 97 doesn't always work right in today's standard of 2018. Anyone can see this that has some experience in gaming in general. There has been HUGE amount of improvements, quality of life changes in RTS games + in games in general that make old games look like garbage.

I'm sorry but this is the hard truth, I loved the old game but it's in nowhere near a remastered edition that most of us expect it to be.

3) And if for some strange reason you should have any issues them fixing this for us you can always go back to play the original game, because you like it so much! That's alright but I don't understand why anyone would not want to see their beloved game to become even better!

Take care

Clearly you do NOT understand what the definition of remaster is lol. In short, a remaster is NOTHING more than old content being repackaged with better sound and graphics. If anything beyond that was done, it would NO LONGER be a remaster. It’d be a full on remake. Their goal was NOT to remake the game but to remaster it. The game currently is a very solid remaster of the original AoE actually, contrary to you claims, because it does simply what a remaster is actually suppose to do. That being said, there are certainly some bugs that should be looked at, and I’m sure they’re aware of most of them and are working on them.

The campaigns are similar, but have been modified in the DE, so is it a remastered or remake? I believe DE is a remake, so I can expect some difference from the original.