New Armenian militia line bonus will be added to the list of "bonuses you can give militia line that still don't stop them from sucking"

Archer and Knight lines are so powerful that even when a civ has 0 bonuses to them they will still see play in every match.

Meanwhile even civs with bonuses to infantry such as more HP, faster move speed, extra attack, more attack speed, extra armor, etc. still don’t play their militia lines outside of low elo noob matches. We can add Armenians to the list of “this bonus sounds powerful but militia line is such a terrible choice it actually won’t matter at all”.

Stop adding infantry civs to the game if you aren’t going to make militia not a complete garbage choice.

5 Likes

Armenian bonus would be good if they also got the Dravidians barracks tech discount, but at the same time it could be OP for spearmen line (pikes in feudal and halbs in castle).

2 Likes

Castle age halbs actually looks really promising (and is not expensive either)

That’s the hilarious part. The bonus will most likely only be used on spearman line. Militia are garbage and even giving them insane civ bonuses still has them see 0 play.

3 Likes

Well at least we get infantry on the board, just maybe not the militias this time

This reminds me very much of my own topic “Militia-line is perpatually roasted”; emphasis on “perpetually”.

I agree. The only real utility is Dark Age Spearman, Feudal Age Pikeman and Castle Age Halberdier will totally shut down scout into knight strategy.

What makes you guys think, that Longswords in Feudal age are not very good? It is obviously very good.

It’s not good lol. Longswords in Fuedal will still die to archers. It’s a useless gimmick. Militia line is such a garbage unit choice that even seemingly powerful buffs don’t suddenly make it good.

1 Like

You need more Archers or Castle age upgrades against it, and both is a big investment, while the Armenian player doesn’t need castle age and can use the 800 food and 200 gold for Longswords. The armenian player can just fully commit to Longswords, and the window for the opponent to hold it down is very narrow, so that I expect it to be practically very good. It also forces all civs into Archers, because Armenians have many counters against Cavalry and superior Infantry.

They’ve been giving militia line a lot of incremental buffs. They’re still weak but the intent to fix them is there. Just because they aren’t viable yet, doesn’t mean they will never be and that devs should “stop adding infantry civs”.

1 Like

Giving both of the line one age earlier for same civ created this problem. Dravidians will be totally fine with Feudal pikeman and Castle Halberdier.

3 Likes

And we could turnnArmenians into an archer civ instead of yet another infantry civ

2 Likes

I think they just need a bit of speed. The reason nobody uses them early because villagers would just laugh and run away when they try to raid, and archers can just shoot and run from them all day. I suggest move squires to Feudal, and introduce a new speed tech at Castle Age that gives less speed, like +8%.

2 Likes

Id say Dark Age M@A would still be still pretty bad. You would rather have 2 more militia in the dark age because your job is to get villagers idle and more militia means more harassment

You are straight up wrong about it being good and will never see fuedal Longswords outside of a noob match. Longsword upgrade doesn’t add pierce armor. It doesn’t help them raid better. They still get chased down and die to archers. You don’t even need more archers just a small amount shuts down fuedal longswords, and if your opponent is actually going all in fuedal longswords he will lose the match.

On Hera’s channel he goes fuedal longswords against the AI and loses nearly all of them to archers lol. The AI didn’t even micro the archers well and accidentally ran in to melee against them losing half its archers but still pulled through.

2 Likes

Agreed. In general adding infantry civs is the worst thing to do. But I like this civ because it gets halbs for late castle age, which could be solid for forward castle drops, and the warrior priest which sounds interesting. And it has knights and light cav with bloodlines, husbandry and +2 to play the generic meta as an alternative and quite a good castle unit. So its technically not an “infantry” civ. Its just a decent civ with some infantry bonus that should be ignored most of the time.

In practice I think the halbs and champions are too expensive for castle age. Maybe very late castle/on your way to imp.

Interested to see castle age two handed swordsmen. See If they’re viable or not.

Or make a tech that give them a cooldown charge attack which will boost their speed up, activate when there’re enemy nearby.

You are straight up wrong about it being good and will never see fuedal Longswords outside of a noob match. Longsword upgrade doesn’t add pierce armor. It doesn’t help them raid better. They still get chased down and die to archers. You don’t even need more archers just a small amount shuts down fuedal longswords, and if your opponent is actually going all in fuedal longswords he will lose the match.

Longswords have 15 more HP. That is as good as 0.75 pierce armor against Archers. Vikings Man at arms are already noticablely better against archers with 9 extra HP.

Armenian Longswords look better than Viking, Malian and Roman MAAs. It seems like they are the best Infantry in Feudal age. You say it is way to weak, but you can not just give Fuedal Infantry 150 HP or something like that. They are giving a massive bonus for Armenian Infantry. They can not do more than give massive boni. MAA are often useful for me in my games, and you can not let it depend on Hera elo only. You are not going to play Infanter anyway, but I appreciate new Infantry civs. And I do not want Infantry to be disfigured or neglegted.