New civ concept: The Chimu

Here’s how I think what the unique units of potential civs could be

Anasazi - karambit-like archer low cost low attack but can be easily massed, not sure what the name would be

Chams - raiding infantry with bonus against Civilian Units, Champa Pirate

Chimu - heavy siege infantry, Chimu Maceman

Haudenosaunee/Iroquois - anti-cavalry ranged infantry, Tomahawk Warrior

Jurchens - cataphract-like cavalry archer or cavalry crossbowman, Tiefutu

Siamese - some sort of gunpowder elephant, can be called Siege Elephant or Elephant Gunner

Tanguts - anti-infantry camel, Camel Slinger

Tamils - ranged infantry with splash damage, Urumi

1 Like

Huskarl.

Huskarls are the siege infantry of the game.

4 Likes

They are not. They are anti-Archer Infantry, not particularly good at bringing down buildings.

2 Likes

They have +3 against buildings. And that’s without considering the extra damage they deal from being goths (civ bonus).

Huskarls are the siege infantry of the game.

4 Likes

Thats less than what Gothic champions deal against buildings

2 Likes

Yes, but they also have 10 PA to resist arrows from defensive buildings, etc.
You can’t really give them the same extra damage like gothic champions, even if you want tho.

2 Likes

Huskarl (AoM)

Aomhuskarlicon

Destroyer (AoM)
Destroyer_icon

There can be many differences, personally I think it would have been better in AoM if the Destroyer (armed with a trident) was anti-cavalry and the Katapeltes (armed with a mace) was anti-build. In this logic, there could be a UU armed with a mace that is efficient against buildings and also against cavalry.

2 Likes

Chimu and Muisca - Rulers Bathed in Gold DLC

I do like the Katapeltes as an anti-Cavalry Maceman, however.
The idea of a sailor (Atlantean) with a giant mace knocking a horse over in full charge, with one blow, is dearly amusing to me.

It is something I would expect in a cartoon.

1 Like

I think it’s too OP if both sources contain more food.

I’d rather something like:

• Docks spawn a fishing ship upon construction.
  • Fishing ships work faster

I think the royal guard unit is a bit OP (especially with free infantry armour techs, but hey, I thought the same about the Coustillier and in the end it wasn’t that bad. Maybe the civ doesn’t get champions and this UU is a kind of replacement. The warrior shaman I think is great.

Also, they COULD have something associated with gold, since the Chimu did have extensive trade with the Muisca and the Quimbaya of Colombia who were expert goldsmiths. Maybe instead of free infantry blacksmith, it could be that swordsman line upgrades cost extra food instead of gold.

Love the Chimu. I think if one more american civ were to be added it has to be a South American one.

7 Likes

I think there will be some maps in which this bonus can be scary, but beyond those maps I think its fine

3 Likes

I actually thought the opposite. I thought that this UU combined with the warrior shaman would essentially give them a meat wall that autoheals and gets better with time. But yes, you do have a point about the Hydra in AoM

1 Like

I imagined something like “Sea Lords”.

It is a name not yet exploited and could have the expansion color Cyan.

South american civs should have their own architecture set.

5 Likes

Wow so much passion and effort into this. Guys like you keep our beautiful game alive and active!

3 Likes

I want to see them have a fishing ship that can shoot arrows, and transport, but a weak navy from castle onwards.

Like a “counter-pick” to island maps. Where you’re intention is to win water dark age, and then force a forward to enemy.

More importantly, I want to see them! Its a fantastic idea for a Civ, and great opportunity to add in new art. As it could affect Inca buildings too!

3 Likes

Or give them the war canoe (that’s already in the game) starting in Dark Age. Make it a worse version of the galley line that upgrades automatically. And yes, make it possible for fishing ships to transport villagers and/or monks

3 Likes

About the ships: I imagine it as something similar to the Longboat, in this video it is explained that this model of boats generally carried 5 sailors and 10 soldiers on board, according to the chronicles they could transport up to 50 men and 3 horses. These boats could be multifunction (attack and transport) or it could be a more robust and slower version than the Longboat, it could also be a naval unit with a “special ability” like the Coustilliers.

(The video has English subtitles)

About the UU: I see some possibilities:

1. The UU could have a function equal to the Maceman of AoE 3, a powerful armored infantry against infantry, cavalry and buildings also having trample damage. However very vulnerable to ranged attacks and little use in micromanagement.

1. Attack that ignores armor, similar to Leitis or as a variation, have bonus attack against units that have +1 melee armor (no blacksmith upgrades)

1. Taking the AoM Axeman as inspiration, in some Moche / Chimú drawings you can see maces with ax edges. It reminded me of the Axeman + Ax of Vengeance that they had the function of Anti-infantry and anti-buildings.

Of these three options, the one that strikes me the most is that the UU with a melee siege function is similar to a battering ram but is capable of defending itself against cavalry, infantry and eagle warriors but relatively vulnerable to arrows (so contrary to a battering ram) but is much more versatile than Teutonic Knights.

PS: this model of Chimú boots could be used in the design.

1 Like

I dislike the concept of new Americas-based civs to be added (I already find the ones we have now pretty ridiculous to be in AoEII, because of how limited the mechanics and regular unit graphics are to represent them)
But if I had to add one it would be this one, as you said, it would spruce up the Inca campaign and their are basically in the same technological level as the Incas, so it’s not that big of a stretch (way better than people who ask for the Mississipians or the Mapuche)

4 Likes

The Ansazi are waaaaay too behind technologically to all other civs in the game, it wouldn’t make much sense to include them

The Haudenosaunee would be pretty anachronistic to AoE2, the confederacy was founded sometime around the 1500s (give or take 100 years) which is technically inside AoE2’s timeframe, but still at the very tail end of it, if you want a civ that represent all the tribes that would eventually become part of the confederacy you should find a different name (but still, I think they have the same problem as the Ansazi)