New civ idea

most pikemen are good vs buildings, not super unique.

from my point of view i view korea as a minor civ (meaning similar to sohei and maya) and for that i just much rather see the rocket battery, since that is the 1 famous land unit of the era from korea.

i mean they could also add in the war wagon that have rifles which are already even in the game just not usable for some reason, lol and the bonus against buildings for the already existing pike men really isnt all that good. its better to use grenadiers for civs that have them, or arrow knights for aztecs. but for civs that dont have artillery spears arent really worth getting to take down buildings. they could also give koreans the horse artillery as well as the rocket battery, as well as the chinese’s flamethrowers

minor civs get 1 unit, not 6.

Native artilery could be the flamong arrows or their indonesian counterpart (cetangs?). Alternatively and perhaps more interesting a mortauru type of unit or a hand mortar

This would Make Korea a much more useful native civ. A must have if you will
Turtle ships + Mortars

1 Like

Not supported: Korea is about the same level of importance as the Maya. It is only suitable as an indigenous tribe.

Support: Maybe developers will make Korea a new civilization for commercial reasons.

Unique unit: In history, Korea had turtle shell ships and a kind of rocket launcher called “Honeycomb”, but the most outstanding unit in Korea was the archer, because Koreans often hunted.

Exclude unique units: cavalry, Korea has many mountains and sparse plains.The precious flat land is almost used for farming, so it will not have a strong and unique cavalry unit.

Possible direction: In history, Korea was invaded by Japan and asked for help from China. Therefore, civilized design is at a disadvantage when fighting against the Japanese army, but it can gain an advantage if it cooperates with the Chinese army.

north korea is a modern entity.

No matter how much I think about them, they are more suited to the minor civ. And spearmen are too cliche. after the Imjin War, they trained excellent matchlock gunner troops.

1 Like

I think Korea could be a potential civilisation for AoE3.
They might not be as important in the time frame but sometimes popularity or potential for interesting design are more important than historical importance.

Korea

Units

Barracks

Spearman Pikeman with shield that has high HP that is still relatively cheap. Worse at siege. (Cost Coin not Wood)
Archer Archaic Anti Infantry with high rate of fire
Arquebusier Skirmisher (Age 3)

maybe:
Musketeer Heavy ranged Infantry

Stable

Hussar equivalent
Cavalry Archer equivalent (Age 3)

Castle

Fire Lance long range Grenadier, cheaper but lower rate of fire (Age 2)
Hwacha medium range Artillery that fires multiple shots causing very huge AoE that is devastating for Infantry (Age 3)
Chongtong Long range cannon that is better against Artillery and Ships than Infantry basically a Culverin/Falconet Hybrid (Age 3)
Mortar Not sure if more like the European, Japanese or Chinese one. (Age 4)

Dock

Panokseon high damage manoeuvrable medium size ship equipped with both Hwacha and cannons (Age 2)
Turtle Ship high HP ship but decent damage (Age 3)

Wonders

1. Produces free villagers but can be upgraded to produce military units instead (useful when you reach the villager limit) maybe even an exclusive Heavy Cannon.
  2. Produces Food and can be upgraded every Age.
  3. Produces Coin and can be upgraded every Age.
  4. Produces Wood and can be upgraded every Age.
  5. Produces More Export and XP than Food, Coin and Wood (reverse Porcelain Tower) and can be upgraded every Age.

Unlike the Porcelain Tower they can be upgraded and are not stuck at the resource production of the Age their are build in.
They produce about as much resources as a Porcelain Tower, so they are slightly worse than a factory. The main disadvantage is that they can’t switch production modes.

Features

Free Castle wagon on each Age up and Castle Limit +1, but no cards to increase Castle limit or ship Castles. Castle units are the main strength of the Korean army.
Can build cheaper Tower that has less HP than an European Outpost but can station up to 5 Infantry that increase damage.
Build villages like Chinese. Has lower villager limit (maybe 75-80) because their Wonders are all factories.

Gameplay

Koreans are a defensive civilisation. Their Wonders boost their economy but they are vulnerable and have to be defended.
The Castle is very important because it gives a much better variety of units compared to other Asian civilisations.

1 Like

There are much more important Asian civs to add into the game, than Korea.
That is the issue.

2 Likes

The issue is that they can add all the civs you mentioned plus Korea if FE devs tried to. Remember Microsoft may get more Korean players if they added Korean civ for AoE 3 DE just like how they made Koreans for AoE 2 according to the video you posted before.

For Koreans to be added in the game, check out the WoL (Wars of Liberty) version of Korean civ.

Here is the link: Asian Culture | Wars of Liberty

They could, but I doubt they would.

1 Like

hey just fyi yall saying korea wouldnt fit in with the other civs in aoe3 ya wrong i based my image of them in aoe3 on the empires dawn of the modern world korean campaign and i just found a copy to play and in the very first level proved yall wrong A its set in the late 1500s and they are already using firearms and B the very first unit thats trainable for you is a freaking rocket cav which is basically a cav unit that shoots a hand held rocket at things not to mention you start off with an explosive slinger unit that throws bombs both of which would be a great unit in aoe3 aside from the war wagons and turtle ships

the Korean war (Imjin war) is generally categorized as:

Korea shows up with mostly archaic infantry

japan shows up with mostly guns

japan wins.

yes the Imjin war from 1592-98 was interesting but they where bailed out by china, and it was entirely a defensive war, Kora just isn’t an empire.

okay i want you to think about that, do you think that actually happened? clue: horses generally dont like firearms, rockets even less so.

the most famous Korean unit of the era is the Hwacha

2 Likes

empires dawn of the modern world is also another game thats historically accurate when you look at the unit and building info it even shows you some historical info about said unit

That game begins in the Middle Ages, when Korea actually had the ability to project force. In the AoE3 period, it no longer did.

The Imjin War broke Korea’s willingness to expand, and after 1598 (around when this game starts) it just became a battleground nation for other empires.
In many ways, it still is.

aoe3 is set between the ages of 1492 and 1876 and empires starts in the 1500’s im literally playing it rn dont try to correct me lol and again no ones talking about the imijin ware dude

No, AoE3 starts in the 1500s, not before.

" Setting

The game is set where Age of Empires II left off with the discovery of the [New World] and the beginning of colonial times between the 1500s to the year 1850. Age of Empires III follows in the style of the previous games of the series, with the [player] taking a European colony from a small settlement into a powerful empire. The player also progresses through five ‘[Ages]’, a system of tiered advancement in which each tier offers increasingly powerful units and upgrades."

hey guess its the official aoe3 wiki page lol

Nope, the game starts with the Ottoman invasion of Malta, in the 18th of May 1565.

Sorry, but there is no pre-1500s content in the game.

Also, even if you include 1492, Korea was still not an Imperial or Colonial Power, it was subservient to China, basically a client state.

1 Like

omg the single player campaign has nothing to do with multiplayer the whole game in general has content from between 1492 and 1876 this whole thread was about adding to multiplayer genius