New Civilizations for Age of Empires I

We won’t see any new civs for AoE DE initial release. My hope is however that if the game sells well enough, devs will be allowed to work on DLCs. There is still so much that can be added to this game, and imho not expanding the content after having done all of the hardest work (pathfinding, ia, remastered graphics and sound) would be a waste.

@Sargon said:
We won’t see any new civs for AoE DE initial release. My hope is however that if the game sells well enough, devs will be allowed to work on DLCs. There is still so much that can be added to this game, and imho not expanding the content after having done all of the hardest work (pathfinding, ia, remastered graphics and sound) would be a waste.
They confirmed the civs a Campaings.

I’m sure that they will make DLC, look into age of empires 2…

@Augustusman said:
Cataphract is supossed Lancer, like Companions(Hetairoi) of Alexander.

Yeah, I know, but the graphics shows a heavy cavalry with sword. :frowning:

For balance purposes I think new units is possible only if each civ gets an exclusive unit (Ã la AoE III) ; for new empires, maybe nubian/kushite kingdom is the only big kingdom that would match the historical period covered by AoE 1 (could be also a cool campaign facing egyptians and ending with the first Nubian pharaohs of egypt in the 12th dynasty).

Parthians.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
Parthians.

Parthians are basically persians, which we already have in game.

@Sargon said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
Parthians.

I don’t think we need any new civs, but Parthia are as basically Persian as Phoenocian are as basically Carthage and Macedonia are as basically Greek. I’ve posted on this before but Parthia are famous enemies of Rome (capturing crasuses Legions eagles) and would have logical bonuses on Horse archers as the phrase ‘parthian shot’ is basically where the phrase ‘parting shot’ comes from.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:

@Sargon said:

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
Parthians.

I don’t think we need any new civs, but Parthia are as basically Persian as Phoenocian are as basically Carthage and Macedonia are as basically Greek. I’ve posted on this before but Parthia are famous enemies of Rome (capturing crasuses Legions eagles) and would have logical bonuses on Horse archers as the phrase ‘parthian shot’ is basically where the phrase ‘parting shot’ comes from.

I respectufully disagree. While Parthians can be thought as the succesors of persians, or their “replacement”, Carthage was one of the many colonies phoenicians established back then. Original phoenicians were still there while their colonies grew in size and power.

Back on the topic: I think we can find as many minor civilizations we want for possible expansions, they don’t have to be fully historically accurate to play. As long as they are fun to play and at least not completely different from their historical counterparts, I am all for adding new civs (later on, hopefully, with DLCs).

New Units to be added:

• Light Cavalry
  • Dual Axeman
  • Armored Dual Axeman
  • Armored Slinger
  • Trade cart
  • Camel Archer
  • Heavy Archer Chariot
  • Heavy Slinger
  • Heavy Camel Rider

Light Cavalry
Upgraded from: Scout
Upgrade cost: 300 food
Trained at: Stable
Type: Cavalry
Cost: 100 Food
HP: 100
Attack: 5
Armor: 0
Pierce Armor: 0
Speed: Fast
Rate of Fire: Fast
Bonus: Scout Lancer Cavalry with large line of sight to scout against stronger defenses.

Dual Axeman
Trained at: Barracks
Type: Light Infantry
Cost: 50 Food
HP: 55
Attack: 10
Range: 0
Armor: 0
Speed: Medium
Upgraded From: Axeman

Armored Dual Axeman
Type: Light Infantry
Cost: 50 Food
HP: 65
Attack: 13
Range: 0
Armor: 1
Speed: Medium
Upgraded From: Dual Axeman

Heavy Slinger
Type: Archer
Cost: 40 Food, 10 Stone
HP: 40
Attack: 4
Range: 6
Pierce Armor: 3
Speed : Medium
Upgraded from: Singre
Bonus: Heavy Slingers have an attack bonus of 4 against archers and also have 3 armor when dealing with enemy archers and siege artillery. They also have an increased attack against walls and towers. Ships, infantry (assuming the slingers don’t run for it) and cavalry can all take them out very easily

Trade Carts:
Similar to trade boats, this unit can be researched in the bronze age in the market in order to train them, and upgraded in the iron age

Camel archers:
Trained at: Archery Range
Cost: 40 Food, 10 Stone, 35 Gold
HP: 65
Attack: 6
Range: 7
Armor: 2
Pierce Armor: 1
Speed : Fast
Bonus: Receives +2 attack bonus against archers, horse archers and cavalry.

Heavy Chariot Archer
Trained at: Stable
Cost: 40 Food, 70 Wood
HP: 100
Attack: 6
Range: 7
Pierce Armor: 1
Speed : Fast
Bonus: High Resistance to conversion; 4 times attack against Priest.
Upgraded from: Chariot Archer
Upgrade Cost is high

Parthians hates Persians. And were more like semi nomadic Iranian people like Sarmatians

About the Heavy Chariot Archers, it could be changed to Scythe Chariot Archer, also, when units get closer, they get damaged be the wheels of this unit, so wheels damage to adjacent units

There are some interesting ideas here, I have much the same opinion on your Hebrew civilization as many other in the forums, it’s too unit specific and there’s no economic bonus to speak of. I would suggest using one of concepts by a forumer known as HIghwing from Heaven Games forum.
Priests move 40% faster
Start Random Map (default resources) with 300 Food
Slingers +2 range
Camels very high attack vs. Priests
Military buildings (except Docks) 25% more expensive to build (I gave this penalty because they have a really big tech tree)
I would change somethings to it myself but it has a nice general base.

@Ekus said:
New Units to be added:

• Light Cavalry
  • Dual Axeman
  • Armored Dual Axeman
  • Armored Slinger
  • Trade cart
  • Camel Archer
  • Heavy Archer Chariot
  • Heavy Slinger
  • Heavy Camel Rider

Light Cavalry is a good idea especially for civilizations that are gold dependant but I would also add another upgrade called Cavalry Raider for the Iron Age. Dual Axeman & Armored Dual Axeman is slightly different to my opinion, I think the names should be Battle Axeman & War Axeman then upgrade to a specific unit type known as Labrys Axeman (Which could also be called Double-bitted/heated Axeman). I think it should go Improved Slinger to Heavy Slinger and not have an armoured upgrade. Trade Boats are actually available from the stone age so I think a land trade unit should also be available from that age too and be upgraded to a unit such as a Merchant Caravan. Camel archers are a good idea and have experimented implementing them in the game. Heavy Chariot Archers I have heavily considered but decided against it, as a unit that could rival the Horse Archers (especially if your Egyptian) and such a unit should not cost no gold. I would also do add two upgrades to the Camel Rider an base there stats in relation to the Upatch Cataphract (Such as the percent each upgrade increases stats).

I like the concept of having an ultimate Axeman in the army, those guys would have lighter armor and less HP than sword guys, but they have more powerful attack

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
All those tribes are latter Roman Empire and more suitable to AOK not AOE as discussed elsewhere. As you know though I’m not against new civs and think Parthia would be a most likely candidate.

Late antiquity share more similarity with classical antiquity than medieval times in terms of warfare.

Armored slinger? God no, what is next , heavy armored clubman?

The axeman is possibly.

I think for now age of empires de should stick to the first games aoe and aoe ror as much as possible as this is a re make of the game. Going forwards maybe some dlc civs as pointed out above I think there is some good ideas for new civs and new units. Can’t wait to see the final product

La boys was used to be a battle weapon, I think is more ceremonial stuff.

@mythdracon said:
I think Goths, Vandals, Gauls and Indians would be worthy inclusions. But the problem is that for India they would need to create a unique architectural style…the Goths, Vandals and Gauls would also need their own more rustic type of architecture…

I would vote for Gauls.

@Augustusman said:
La boys was used to be a battle weapon, I think is more ceremonial stuff.

I mean Labrys.