New civilizations upgrade problems (Blacksmithy and Basic units upgrade)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 51737
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The Sicilians, Burgundians, Bohemians and Poles do not develop their armor of any kind (cavalry, infantry and archery), When they train infantry, they stay in the militia.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Use any of the 4 new civilizations on any type of difficulty (AI CD version)
  2. Units do not develop armor technology throughout the game

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The units should withstand other units that develop armor in the same condition of number and development (depending of course)

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

SP Replay v101.101.51737.0 @2021.08.13 135428.aoe2record (3.1 MB)

Please don’t overlook it, it’s an excellent game, and since a few of us play it on “AI CD Version”, one of the reasons we like it is because AI can wall off them cities and make they less prone to retire so early.

1 Like

Are you trying to imply that the original AI is somewhat better than the new AI? Because it’s not and has been proven already, most notably by Spirit of the Law, where 2 new AI’s can seriously beat 6 original AI’s.

While I do acknowledge the fact that your report is legit, I can only wonder why you should continue to battle this AI when you could be battling the new one which is more challenging. With this new release, it seems the new AI in extreme can go scouts in Feudal.

Are you a developer?

Who? Me? I am, but not for this game, hehe.

Those are new civs. The old AI can’t play them because it wasn’t scripted to do so, which is quite obvious. Also why are you playing against the old AI anyways?

That does not mean the new one is the “better” AI. An AI’s goal should not be to be as strong as possible, but rather to be an opponent that is enjoyable to fight. The old AI walled their base and used a variety of unit compositions including UUs you never see. The new one pretty much always does archer rush no matter the civ. I can understand why some find the old AI more “realistic”.

1 Like

I like the old AI because they build walls, and others use their unique units a lot. Besides building walls, I can use that big thing to push infantry through the walls :laughing::grin: have a purpose in the game.

I do agree that the AoC AI is more enjoyable to play against in some situations, especially since it walls, but the walling is just really bad and I’d rather play against an AI that is better in terms of difficulty and fairness.
If you want walling really bad, I’d recommend you join both Promi’s and the AI Scripter Discord.
You could ask Promi to start working on it if he has time, though I don’t think he’ll do it because of just one request.
Maybe you could start a thread here or on the AoE2 subreddit, and if it gets enough attention, it’s possible that he would start working on it.
Alternatively, in the AI Scripter Discord you could ask someone to teach you how to start working on it yourself. AI scripting is easy to get into, but to make something actually good you will have to invest much time into it. Even if you were to just take Promi AI and start editing it to add a good walling script, let me tell you, making the AI place buildings, and especially walls in the right place, exactly where you want them is pretty hard to do, and I know that since I made an AI too once.
The easiest thing you can do is take the walling script from the old AI and add it to Promi. Sure, this only adds the old, bad walling, but it’s better than nothing I guess. If you want, I can look into it. Just give me a dm on Discord and I’ll see what I can do.
I do agree that the AoC AI is more enjoyable to play against in some situations, especially since it walls, but the walling is just really bad and I’d rather play against an AI that is better in terms of difficulty and fairness.
If you want walling really bad, I’d recommend you join both Promi’s and the AI Scripter Discord.
You could ask Promi to start working on it if he has time, though I don’t think he’ll do it because of just one request.
Maybe you could start a thread here or on the AoE2 subreddit, and if it gets enough attention, it’s possible that he would start working on it.
Alternatively, in the AI Scripter Discord you could ask someone to teach you how to start working on it yourself. AI scripting is easy to get into, but to make something actually good you will have to invest much time into it. Even if you were to just take Promi AI and start editing it to add a good walling script, let me tell you, making the AI place buildings, and especially walls in the right place, exactly where you want them is pretty hard to do, and I know that since I made an AI too once.
The easiest thing you can do is take the walling script from the old AI and add it to Promi. Sure, this only adds the old, bad walling, but it’s better than nothing I guess. If you want, I can look into it. Just give me a dm on Discord and I’ll see what I can do.
CT-6969 Hentai Dealer#6969

1 Like

Where can I find Promi’s Discord? :grin: The truth is, I am a very casual player, it takes me hours to finish a skirmish, because I like to look at each unit, for that reason I like the old AI :laughing: :grinning: As you know, I am not one of those who enter to play multiplayer and finish a game in minutes. I like to enjoy each art that they make in the game, zooming out and zooming in to see details, I know it’s nerd, but it is what I am :rofl: :sleepy: But if Promi’s can do wonders with AI it would be great :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Now the Extreme AI does scout rushes too. Just putting it out there.