New Display Instructions logic is not backwards compatible

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 58259
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The new display instruction logic that supports all player colours is not backwards compatible.
If a player is currently selected it is completely ignored for the shown colour. Aka, all scenarios will currently not show any colour in any display instructions effect when played.

Even if the logic is based on the Trigger Version, all scenarios that are saved in the newer version will break.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Create trigger & Display Instructions effect
  2. Select player 2, set a message & select a unit as icon
  3. Test scenario, no colour.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

For backwards compatability, the text should be checked for <COLOUR>. If this is not at the start of the text, use the player dropdown to keep backwards compatability with scenarios.

:arrow_forward: IMAGES

Ok, I’ve just tested this. You can change the color of the eagle scout by putting in front of the message. The problem? This also changes the color of the text. I think this was a change that came with the recent update. Please revert it. In the patch notes, there is something about " * Triggers: Added color option for object icons in Display Instructions trigger effect." First off, what does this even mean? We could already set the unit icon color by picking the player it would display for, and we could set the text color by writing a pre-fix. This needs to be addressed/reverted really quickly.

I’ve talked to a dev. The ‘new’ feature currently is that you can set a display instructions text & icon to a colour that is not in the game (i.e. A 6 player game can still use p8 colour now).

I don’t really have a problem with this as long as the old behaviour of selecting a player is still allowed because this breaks backwards compatability…

They also changed the text in the patchnotes:

Triggers: Object icons in Display Instructions trigger effect now correctly use the desired player color even if there is no in-game player with said color.

Can you set the two things separately? I only want to set the icon color, I want the text color to be white.

This issue is now tracked, thank you for the report.

1 Like

Currently not possible