New Expansion DLC: Dawn of the Dukes

who are “my people”?

The Burgundians came because people wanted Dutch in AoE 2. Civ Burgundians are a good umbrella option for Low Countries. They could make this civ more attractive, but the fact is that this civ represents a region that has not been represented at all before. Sicilians are also a great representation of southern Italy, which is significantly different from Northern Italy.

The Lords of the West is a great idea, but less well done. Still, I find these DLC great. I hope for a better balance of these civs.

As mentioned above, I think this civ should come out in the distant future along with other Central European civs. Teutons civ are a terrible abuse and a bad umbrella. It reminds me of Slavs civ and Indians civ.

The Czechs would be a great fit for the Eastern European DLC. If there are Poles and some South Slavic civ in this DLC, this DLC would be Slavic - Lech, Czech and Rus :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

African Plate Mail Armor:

African Chain Mail Armor:
Quilted Cotton Armor:

Chain Mail, Plate Mail and multiple layers of Quilted Cotton Armor (similar to Gambeson) was popular in West Africa.
Hausa and Kanembu Cavalry were the heaviest. Riders needed help to go up to the horseback.

Benin Warrior:

Portuguese couldn’t use Plate Mail in Africa, because of its climate.

3 Likes

So you don’t have African Kingdoms, Rise of the Raja, and you didn’t get DE? Hmmm…

Seeing as this thread is literally about a DLC that focuses on Eastern Europe, I fail to see how this comment is relevant

4 Likes

He is just salty (as usual)

1 Like

This is ridiculous though. Its the third DLC in a row for an already quite overrepresented continent, ofc people that want the other parts of the world represented would complain (and Europe is 100% represented unless mentioning the pointless Finns)

1 Like

Please, do NOT make me laugh at the fictional african civs you make.

That is a picture of a battle between Britons and african tribes at 1879 AD, at the end of Aoe 3.

That was The Battle of Isandlwana 1879 AD.
The african tribes were creatures from the DARK age.

1 Like

Bornu had gunpowder in the 16th century. Also gunpowder was barely an advantage outside sieges, Spanish used other stuff instead.

Nubians stopped the Arabs, had a thousant years of history and culture and were important for the world economy thanks to the saharian trade. It seems fair enough for me to include them even if not as important as Byzantines.

Looking for well known civs isnt the way to go because thats including stuff that came after the time period of the game, and by terms of deserving being in the game theres no european civ that deserve to be in the game as much as the Somalis or the Kanembu except arguably the more or less already comfortably represented Poles.

Isnt a nomadic tribe starting a 800 year dynasty with two massive territory expansions, multiple civil wars and that moved to another kingdom to rebuild their empire and was considered a superpower by the arabs good enough?

Isnt the powerful trading naval superpowers that were able to stand in equal ground against Ethiopians and Portuguese combined deserving of its own civ?

Those civs were all real and I think Kongo, Kanem and Kilwa would be great additions

3 Likes

You are using a really bad example in multiple ways. Most of the African civs that we propose arent far behind Mali and Ethiopia who were really powerful kingdoms in general.

Also the guys you are talking about (Bantus) had great tactics, were great builders and managed to control a ton of terrain and people through their kingdoms. They also had pretty damn good methalurgy as well

Also thats a painting who is meant to glorify the winning team

2 Likes

EDIT: Zulu apparently also have a Cattle based economy.

Considering how huge Africa is, it’s not surprising that there are Hunter-gatherer, city states, Kingdoms and Empires all at the same time. The Zulu, which are part of the Nguni people, a branch of the Southern Bantu, have click sounds in their language which they share with the Khoisan speaking people which are Hunter-gatherer people. The Zulu actually also have a Cattle based economy aside their Hunter-gatherer livestyle.

Europe has the Sami in the High North, where agriculture anyway doesn’t make huge sense to pursue.

BTW Tribe is a very wide definition. The British in the picture are as much a tribe as the Zulu you’re showcasing XD:

“a social group comprising numerous families, clans, or generations together with slaves, dependents, or adopted strangers”

Apparently there’s also no apparent agreement what it actually exactly entails XD:

a group of people, often of related families, who live together, sharing the same language, culture, and history, especially those who do not live in towns or cities:

So a guy in an English village belongs apparently to a Tribe. Though when exactly is a village a town and why exactly do you have to live not in a village to be part of a non-tribal society?

“A social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.”

So like the United States, the Nigerians, the Chinese, the Romanians etc.

3 Likes

The Kanem Empire, Hausa Kingdoms, Kingdom of Congo, or the Nubian kingdoms, and the sultanates of East Africa could all be viable civs for AOE2. There are other options but the information on them is scant.

1 Like

new civs confirmed by Isgreen:

5 Likes

Thanks for the info, though was kinda expected.

1 Like

Precolonial African history is Oral history. That’s the thing European historian struggle with the most.

1 Like

Perhaps not for the ones I mentioned but largely yes this is a problem.

So Dawn of the Dukes will include:

1. New Civs
  2. New Campaigns
  3. Coop Campaigns

A coop campaign with Poles, Bohemians and Moldovans as the new playable civs (+Lithuanians) in the battle of Grunwald would be perfect. It would be historically correct as well! But I doubt it. Again I do think that Bohemians and Poles will be the only civs.

4 Likes

I honestly dont want a Polish only civ. They are historically important but they will be extremely boring since Im almost sure it will be extremely close to either Liths or Slavs.

the only relevant post in this whole thread for the past several posts lmao. I hope that they’re adding Poland and one of the duchies on the baltic area

1 Like