New Expansion DLC: Dawn of the Dukes

Not always. They had periods of independence.

You are probably thinking of Transylvania. I’m talking about Wallachia and Moldova.

1 Like

Im kind of putting Transylvania and Wallachia together, because the story is the same, just different kingdoms/empires (magyars vs bulgarians). They were basically under the control of major powers, and the Vlachs became a factor only when the ‘original’ population depleted.

They were different kingdoms however. Wallachia and Moldava were kingdoms with largely Vlach majority.

The point is, Wallachia was most of the times not independent, and Vlachs did not really have much say in the course of events most of the times. I get it that they had some short periods of success here and there, but I don’t know if you can easily base a civ on that.

They participated in the battle of Grunwald, have a campaign in AOE2 (Dracula) and waged wars with the Ottomans. If you think that this is insufficient to include them in the game, that’s absolutely fine. I think it is however.

1 Like

Yes, I think there are more interesting new civs to add. As I said, the area where Vlad campaign is set was inhabited by all kinds of people, so how that campaign is now is actually pretty good.

1 Like

Fair enough! I understand.

What civs have been confirmed?

Unfortunately, I can’t recreate it, because I’m having a lecture now - the charms of distant study…

1 Like

New civs have been confirmed, not which ones. At 32m55s

5 Likes

The upcoming co-op mode sounds really interesting. Wonder if they are played on totally new campaigns or will they revamp existing campaings for this new mode.

I’m hoping for some of both.

Good news: All polish/bohemians supporters will be happy, potentially (Both Bohemia and Poland are, perhaps, the obvious choices).
Bad news: Unrepresented regions and empires (Caucasus, Siam, Some parts of Africa, America) have to wait even more.

5 Likes

Okay, let me tell you that saying this is a really dumb argument. We are comparing kingdoms that cobtrolled large territories and did have big conflicts and a big importance to the global economy with late medieval kingdoms that the only interesting thing they did was some insurgences and raids and being conquered after a war. The Duchy of Estonia as an state from what it says on wikipedia was never independent and neither were the other Finns (as an state). You are basically asking for Mapuche but Mapuche at least have the excuse of not being defeated during the timeline and also being from a vastly less explored region of the world.

And saying that the Northern crusades are an important part of the history of the world is European bias that is influenced by stuff after the timeline. The only reason you care is because you can still see countries called after that people.

Also adding new African civs arent that hard to market if you play it smart. Nubians and Somalis can include new campaigns forcold civs while having fairly recognizable names, Songhay (and Zimbabwe I think) are fairly popular thanks to appearing in other games (who still manage to convince people to buy them) and Vandals are kinda European. If you do an eastern African (Somalis and Nubians), a central African (Kanembu and Vandals) and a western african (Yoruba or Bantu and Songhay) they will surely do fine.

2 Likes

Yes, because that’s a very insightful statement /s

The thing is that African civs are irrelevant in a thread about Eastern European DLC. Sure there might be interesting stuff that is not yet covered, but it’s not relevant in this thread, because this is an Eastern European DLC thread, where we are just talking about what that DLC might or should include. The answer is clearly not going to be any African civ.

Christianity turned out to be one of the major religions of the world, so a major crusade launched by this religion is surely relevant enough, and surely the events themselves are not that hard to make a cool campaign about that can then be consequentially easily marketed and sold.

Thing is, when most people think about medieval history, they think about knights, castles, crusades, stuff like that, so the northern crusades are definitely not a worse option than African civs that will be completely obscure to many people. I am pretty sure that the next DLC after this one will be a non-European one, so we just need to be patient and wait it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Berber invasions of Iberia? Those were significant.

Sorry, but no.
Northern Crusades led to Teutonic Order State Formation.
This state became Prussia.
Prussia united Germany.
Germany is the Main player in the World like 2 hundred Years.
So without Crusades World would be now TOTALLY Different.

Besides, im the one who will like to see other Civs from other parts od the World. This is very good way to get people interested with them.

If you do a truely terrible comparison I think thats the kind of statement you will get. Comparing long lasting big empires important for the world economy to some random euro tribes that were conquered by a crusade and did a buch of raids and saying that they are as pointless is just dumb. I cant really say much beyond that that you cant understand by yourself.

You were the one that mentioned them when I said Finns are pointless. I wouldnt be talking about them if you didnt mention them.

And a northern crusade campaign would be cool but they dont deserve their own civ. Just use Liths.

And no, not everything that the christian did is important enough to add the random tribes they fought against as civs

1 Like

Thats also stuff that comes from outside the timeline by a lit of time and still doesnt justify adding random civs.

1 Like

Your ignorance of European history is not a valid point of argument. Calling things dumb doesn’t validate your points.

You are in a minority of people who would rather see obscure tribes/civs added, rather than civs and events that were present during important parts of history. I don’t really know what else to tell you. I am sure that we will get more civs from all parts of the world, but there are simply much better choices than most if not all of the suggestions you gave in your reply to me.

1 Like

Actually, venetians may be on the Duchies DLC, since tecnically they were one (doge is the venetian word for duke), and they had close relationships with the east.

Not saying that they should, just that they might, depending on how many civs (if there’ll be civs at all…) are present.

1 Like