I’m not going into who the new civs are going to be, but I thought of something interesting that could be a civ bonus (or team bonus) for them which I call the “Rogue from x-men bonus” or the “chameleon bonus” (name needs work).
Basically, this bonus would be “Receives the team bonus of one of the enemy civilizations at random.”
This would mean, for example that, if matched against Teutons, they receive more resistance conversion, if matched against Berbers they can create Genitours, if matched against Incas they build farms 100% faster.
- it would have to be random, especially on team games (ie the player cannot choose which civ bonus they choose;
- it could be apply to all enemy civs;
- in the case that the enemy civ is Portuguese (free cartography for the whole team), they would not their enemy’s scouting or vision nor would the player’s allies get carto, but they would get carto as if they built a market.
- if they are mirror matched, the civ’s team bonus does not stack;
- in a team game when matched against one enemy mirror, they may get their civ’s team bonus assigned and, since it does not stack, they may get nothing.
This would be a completely random “wild card” that adds a little bit of chaos to the game.