šŸ“° New Matchmaking Customization (and more) coming this July! (AoE2)

The prefered map option is not a good move.

Think about it if you are not playing your prefered map chances are you are playing your opponents prefered map.

i mean why pick one players or the others preffered map and not making totaly random if preffered map is different?

I see much more reason for alt f4 than beforeā€¦

1 Like

You still play on maps which you didnt ban. That is the same as the current system. Only thing that really changes is that you are much more likely to play on your favorite map.

I have no clue why you will Alt F4 even more if you already play more games on your favorite map.

Yeah i was wondering about that as wellā€¦ BUT remember it factors your bans as wellā€¦ So if you ban BF, you wonā€™t face someone there ever, if the opponent " prefers" it you will play one of the other maps. Meaning yes you will still be queued for maps that arenā€™t preferred and it doesnā€™t mean you will always get your preferred map

BUT you are more likely to get your preferencesā€¦

Imo this will definitely effect queue timesā€¦ I think its ok for the majority of players who sit around the average elo 1000 and 1350 respectively since thereā€™s tons of players but higher elo should theoretically have longer queue times but hopefully less alt f4s

Im excited to see how this works out, i mainly care for the balance and pathing update

Iusually donā€™t ban maps, but I have a feeling that if i get spammed by peopleā€™s preference for Arabia or black forest over and over ill start putting bans on those maps

1 Like

So this update is for Multiplayer fanbase only?

1 Like

Has anyone got if there will be changes acting on something different than matchmaking?
Specifically:

• balance changes
  • common issues (pathing)
2 Likes

I think there will be bug fixes and other new things too.

1 Like

Thanks for the announcement and the preview!

It is different, because with the new feature youā€™ll know if your opponent chose the ā€œall-randomā€ feature as well, and if he didnā€™t and he picked a civ, youā€™ll be able to pick your civ as well.

The new feature that gives everyone random only works when BOTH players activated it.

In the current system, if you pick random, you may be faced against someone who civ picked. The new feature allows you to only play random if your opponent chose random as well.

Because now if my map is not picked high chances is the one picked is the opponents favourite. The one he has a pre-planed strat to go along with his civ choice.

the answer to that would be that if prefered map is not the same then random selection from not banned options.

Thatā€™s true and itā€™s a small downside, but itā€™s not that big of a deal in my opinion. If you have that map not banned, you should have some civ and strat choices prepared for it as well.

And when you think about it, in the case that both players use their 3 bans, you will have a maximum of 4 maps in common. And that is only for the ā€œworstā€ case where you have the same 3 bans as your opponent.

If instead of banning 1 of the map you banned, he banned your preferred map, then you will have only 3 maps in common left, among which his preferred map. So thatā€™s already 33% chance to match on it in a regular system. But yeah, with the new system, it will be 100% chance to match on his preferred map.

Thatā€™s a small downside in my opinion, and itā€™s compensated by the fact that if the roles are swapped, and youā€™re the one who banned his preferred map, you will be the one matching on your preferred map.
Therefore you will have that (small) advantage from time to time as well, and you are able to play your preferred map more frequently.

What is different to the current situation? You still can face the same map, so you need to have some plans for every map without a ban. That is already the case and this wont change at all.

He might be have a better plan for his favorite map, but on the other side: You also face players on your favorite map, where they have this downside. I dont really think this is a great issue.

In the end you play more games at your favorite map compared to the current system. Isnt that great?

I agree. However, I think there might be another downside: From the video it looks like as if the number of maps in the pool will be increased. Of course, that could just be for the purpose of showing the idea but what might result from this new system could be that you have a high chance to play your favorite map but also have a good chance to play a map that you donā€™t like.

So in this case itā€™s really a trade-off and we have to wait and see how happy people will be with that. I personally am not a fan of heavy map rotation because there just arenā€™t enough maps that are good from a competetive point of view. Imo the current map pool is by far the best since the release and I wouldnā€™t mind having that for several months but at least the preferred map option is a good thing. Letā€™s just hope that they donā€™t fall back to including a bunch of maps that nobody wants to play.

These Changes looks really good. Great news!

I actually liked the variety of maps we had in ranked games with the old system. Especially for watching but also for playing, even if it was sometimes hard to get used to a new map, it was nice to have a pool of map styles you come to see. I am worried that this variety will be gone with the way the preferred map is announced to work for now. The problem for me just was that there have been bad map pools with to much ā€œexperimentalā€ maps.

You are probably wrong. From what i see, it just showed the map pool of previous month. Not the recent map pool since this week. So i see no reason to expect what you said.

Makes sense. Letā€™s hope the current 1v1 pool wonā€™t be completely changed in 2 weeks or so. Combined with the new features, itā€™s really a great combination of competetive settings and variety.

I guess that only two weeks for learn map is a bit short, I played when arrive of my job, but sometimes I dont play for two or three days, now their try learn to map in only 16 days, is very short, more sense is at least each three weeks.

Can we get an approximate estimate? early, mid, or late July?

1 Like

Cant you guys add the reconnect option for Multiplayer ranked games, its a much needed feature, sometimes for a split second the game gets frozen and there is no way out rather than quitting , this issues needs to be addressed firstly.