New unit type - Repairer

Hello. Hear me out.

Relic developers’ aim with AoE IV is make you feel like a general, implying they want to minimize the effects and need of micro-ing in the battlefield.

In support of this goal, if I may be so bold, I would like to propose a new breed of villagers: The field repairer. The field repairer is an upgraded villager that, when placed on the field, auto repairs nearby siege units, outposts and castles, walls, or buildings in that order of priority. They can be tasked to attack units, but their attack will be that of a villager.

The mechanics of this would be to create a regular villager. This vill can then undergo training as repairer in a training facility (I vote for the siege workshop). Then, after paying, say, 10 gold, and waiting 25 secs or so, the vill comes out upgraded as a repairer ready to patrol the city looking for damaged siege, walls, keeps, landmarks, etc. If they are attacked, they fight back with the strength of a regular vill; same is they are tasked to attack.

To test if viable: See if it should be good or bad for balancing and other concerns whether or not the repairer can be task to do vill stuff like resource gathering or building construction. I initially think they should lose the ability to gather resources, but should keep the ability to build buildings.

The Vision Fulfilled

With this repairer, us players can feel like generals: “Deploy seige up north and assign 3 repairers.” “Let’s break in. Send the bombards with 5 repairers to breach the walls, then build a keep and 10 barracks to keep pushing from that point.”

Repairers will care for the bombards automatically, not requiring micro-ing to keep them healthy.

Digging it? I dig it. You guys? Comment. I would like to hear what you all think about having to first create the repairer as a vill, then having it upgraded in a training building as opposed to having the new unit created from say, the siege workshop directly. This puts pressure on TC’s which are expensive when compared to siege workshops, of which you could have 7 or 8 to produce from.