New universal techs?

Reconstruction: Villagers repair 50% faster, 25% for Siege. Ships self repair near dock. Cost 200 stone, 250 wood.

2 Likes

I wonder if that can be overcome with a ‘next page’ button. Sort of like the docks have. It’s very inconvenient with hotkeys as far as I’m aware, but maybe it’s not as glaring for just techs that you click on once? On the other hand, you might not realise you did or didn’t get it if you don’t see the icon immediately either.

I think it can be a auto repair tech for villagers how monk heal unit. Becauase when you are using tons of siege weapon it is quite hard to repair it by hand even via tasking

I do not think so.

The Militia line was underpowered, so Supplies was introduced.
Elephant units are too slow, so it’s possible to introduce Mahouts.
Hand Cannoneers are too niche, so new stuff without overlapping existing bonuses might be good to be introduced as well.
But these are existing global issues.

A global change is often for an existing global issue. So in the last 20 years, it has rarely happened, more often it has been removed rather than added.

For the problems of a specific civilization, please improve it for a specific civilization. Using global changes just to solve the problems of specific civilization is putting the cart before the horse. What’s more, the problems you mentioned are almost all for “future new civilization”, that is, “problems that do not exist now”. You can’t be sure that these problems will exist in those civs designed from scratch, and you can’t sure that the developers have lost their creativity. Even in the latest DLC you see the very typical and useful bonuses like faster attacking Camels and Skirmishers.

2 Likes

Considering we have less civs with Camel Rider than PT, this won’t be a problem. Also you’re fine with Mahout which will be available for only 3-4 civs.

You have some good points. Last DLC was awesome.
And all the “problems” that I was talking about indeed can be solved individually. Maybe when we will have 20 civs with camel rider and 60 civs in total or so, we may think about more generic techs.

Champion upgrade should be cheaper and faster. Then instead of introducing “Trash” armor class, we can add a new tech for Militia line +1MA. Your suggestion of Scout Cavalry line getting “Eagle” armor class also works though.

2 Likes
  • Some kind of imperial upgrade for town centers (hp, attack, range, armor, vill creating speed, etc.). Maybe not available for DM.

• An imperial technology that reduces the wood cost of standard buildings.

• Trash infantry unit that moves fast (like a weak eagle warrior).

• An imperial technology that provides melee armor to rams.

-An imperial upgrade to petards.

I also liked the idea of palisade walls upgrade given by the OP.

Not sure I’d call them universal techs. Generic, common, standard, or even regional perhaps.

Who told ya that? Projectiles can be whatever you want:

This is always a reasonable thing to bring up, but keep in mind that at the time, Eles also had more attack and blast radius (and IIRC Khmer farming was even better). I think there’s room for one small-moderate buff to BEs without breaking TGs.

Of all the ideas, I think this is one of the best candidates for a new generic tech. IIRC someone named it matchlock in another thread. Could be a good way for civs without any gunpowder bonuses/techs to have better lategame HCs (Japanese, Koreans, Berbers, Byzantines, Goths, LIthuanians, Malians, etc). Mahouts also seems like a decent idea.

Here are some random ideas - presented with minimal regard to whether they are balanced/needed, so consider this as Stage 1 brainstorming. Some of these might be better off as UTs with stronger effects, but they could definitely apply to multiple civs, so I’m calling them generic here:

-Town Garrison: Defensive buildings fire 1 more arrow or the arrows of garrisoned units are multiplied by 2. Sort of steps on Tigui’s feet, but that’s kind of a weak tech anyway.

-Indulgences: Relics produce 25% more gold.

-Meditation: Monks regenerate and gain +4 LOS. or Monks gain +1 range (usually for civs without BP).

-Foraging: Infantry gain a percentage of the food of enemy farms they attack or destroy.

-Amentum: Skirmishers +1 range, +50% projectile speed.

-Ballistae: Scorpion bolts gain +2 passthrough range (not available to Khmer).

-Enhanced Muzzle Velocity: Gunpowder projectiles +1 attack, move 40% faster. (I’d prefer that faster BBT projectiles be granted regardless of any tech, but this would be an alternative.)

-Charities/Hospitals: Monasteries heal nearby villagers.

3 Likes

I know it because I’ve used it. You can only have a main projectile and a secondary projectile, for the Castle’s multi arrow attack, they both have to be arrows, like I said. Therefore, you can’t add a third projectile that shoots a ballista bolt.

I’m not disagreeing about the types of projectiles being capped at 2, but in the Editor you can literally make the projectiles whatever you want. Cannonballs, scorp bolts, axes, whatever.

It would be very weird if this was a constraint for modding, but not for the Scenario Editor.

Of course you can make them whatever you want, I never said you couldn’t. What I said was in response to @PlumpDucklin’s post earlier, where they suggested that:

And I said that you can only do this if you break their normal attack in the process.

1 Like

Sure, but then why add the part about how

?

Either I’m very weirdly misunderstanding this, or it was phrased in a way that’s extremely prone to misinterpretation.

The main projectile is where most of a unit’s damage comes from. It’s only a single arrow, and, to my knowledge, will always be a single arrow. It also needs to be or your damage would multiply for each new arrow. Therefore, if you want a building/unit to shoot multiple arrows, you need to use the secondary projectile, and that gets cloned several times. The castle shoots several arrows, and therefore must use the secondary projectile to get the barrage it fires, but the primary projectile does most of the damage. To add a 3rd attack, you would need to replace one of these. Either you would no longer fire your main projectile, and thus wouldn’t deal most of your damage, which would swap to whatever you want for the scorpion style setup, or you replace the secondary projectile, and now you fire several scorpion bolts, most of which don’t do much damage.

Maybe I should have clipped the first part of the part I quoted you on so as to be more clear, but for the record, I’ve never been talking about the 3rd attack/projectile, which I agree would require more coding.

And not to question your experience in modding of course; I’m sure you know your stuff, and am starting to believe there’s a difference in how a couple aspects of the Editor tools work, and how AGE/ Data modding works. All I know is I’ve been able to change both the first and second projectiles of Castles without suffering any kind of damage reduction.

It’s also possible that you’re referring to a limitation that was present until the latest update, which fixed several things about how damage is done. Either way, to get back on topic, and back to the original idea, just making the first projectile of a castle a scorpion bolt would be interesting and add passthrough damage to the high-damage shot without the need for coding in a 3rd attack.

You’re changing the graphics, which anyone can do, I’m talking about adding a literal 3rd attack, which a different graphic, and it’s own stats. Of course it didn’t lose anything, you didn’t change the stats for the unit, merely what it looks like it’s doing.

AGE is significantly more powerful in most ways, having done pretty high end stuff in both. Have you seen the Rome at War mod video by SotL? I did the datamodding for that, I know what I’m talking about.

Homie, how many times do I have to say I’ve never been talking about this and fully agree with what you’ve said about a third attack? Also, changing it to scorpion bolts also adds passthrough damage, not just a different visual. Again, I’m suspecting that something significant has been changed recently such that it might be worth revisiting.

No doubt, and I’ve acknowledged that. Never taken a dive into the mod as I’ve been pretty busy with my own projects, but definitely looks very cool.

1 Like

@SirWiedreich @TheConqueror753
I think it will be better if you discuss in private message.

And have fun modding.

5 Likes

That’s what I considered the OP meant from the start. Or people can insert whatever term makes them happy. Like every civ doesn’t get supplies, does it mean supplies isn’t a universal tech?

In the same way certain civs will or won’t get these new wish list tech.

You know I want militia buffed, but keeping it as a generic tech allows better control over who does or doesn get it. For example malians won’t get it.

100w / 50g for +1/1 armour goes a long way. Plenty of techs doesn’t have to mean expensive if you tweak the cost :wink:. While we at it, imagine for example they buffed arson (double the effect) but limited it from certain civs (malians don’t get it for example)

I had forgotten someone had suggested that. I do wonder how something like that could possibly synergize even with GP civs. Thinking how rarely even Spanish HC are used (+18% ROF), so I wonder if they would even be OP if they had this tech as well. Italians as well, but not Hindus.

For me it was intended to make GP civs more intimidating, currently it’s also only really Turks HC that people are “scared” of and that’s more due to their timing.

Unlike for example Briton xbows

1 Like

Unfortunately this is quite far from accurate

Indians have always had one of the best ecos in the game

They had a massive bonus Vs buildings (+6) 13 dmg instead of 5 Vs TCs (accounting for armour, but before masonry divide gets bigger with tech)

They have imperial camel upgrade (+20 hp +2dmg at the time) that’s about a minimum 25% dmg increase before base armour, even higher after armour

Even a Berber camel with +1PA does not even remotely compete with that, I would even say a Saracen H camel doesn’t fit that either due to dps

I would happily bet ever camel civ could get camelry except Hindus and gurj

Nah, that will be OP.

I’ll even add Byzantines. This left us with 5 civs - Cumans, Turks, Tatars, Mongols and Persians.

Cumans - Literally doesn’t make any difference as they don’t have Heavy Camel Rider.
Turks - I hope no one will complain if a civ without pikeman gets a bonus for Camel Rider. And if arena players push a nerf for them, a compensation is necessary. Since Camel is not the best arena unit, this extra PA can work as the compensation.
Persians - They are totally limited to hybrid maps nowadays. One of if not the worst closed map civ which is pretty generic in open map. This will spice things up. This also fits with their stable good against archer identity. I don’t think this will be a big deal as considering their current win rate in open maps.
Tatars - This civ is the reason why this tech stuck into my head. I never thought they will ever get halberdier. Despite 2nd armor on infantry, halb is decent at their job. And they have Flaming Camel too. Maybe I can’t fit better camel on them.
Mongols - Civ is fine in terms of balance. But it has 2 design issues. SL and Nomad tech. If those issues are addressed, we can sneak in this tech into their tech tree. They don’t have last cav armor which is really great as we are sure it won’t make them strong.

In the end, again I’m probably talking about something that is not even an issue yet.

Interestingly you didn’t suggest this in your own thread. Age of Infantry/Elephants/Camels

You just straight up increased their speed and MA for everyone.