No more classical and medival genere

AoE IV must not stick to classical and medival, because for Bannermen is already out there in prgoress and classical and medival genere rts market had already been saturated.

While Bannermen looks neat and all, I kind of disagree about the market being saturated with medieval RTS titles. In fact, I can’t remember the last really good medieval rts I played, fantasy or historical. Total War doesn’t really count, being a very different sort of RTS as it is.

The last RTS I really, really fell in love with was Dawn of War 1 (+ expansions). Oh, and I guess Sins of a Solar Empire (+expansions), neither of which are medieval.

To be fair, I don’t necessarily think AOE 4 NEEDS to be medieval, but if it is, I wouldn’t knock it down for it. The medieval period is a fun time set to fight and build in after all.

4 Likes

No way Bannermen can be a competitor for AOE4 or saturate the medieval RTS market. It’s nice to have more RTS games, but Bannermen is just a small indie title which took more inspiration from Starcraft or Warcraft than AOE. Wish them luck, but doubt most people are even going to know about it.

3 Likes

Generic as â– â– â– â–  and clon of warcraft.

In all fairness, “clone of Warcraft or AOE” is not necessarily a bad thing. I fondly remember the (demo) for Armies of Exigo. That game was pretty ■■■■ neat, and did a good job of combining the vibe of Warcraft with AOE, and despite its inspirations, felt like it stood on its own well enough. For that matter, you could make the case for Dawn of War 1 being a “clone” of Starcraft/ AOE for following the same base management systems (three tier level up, armory techs, etc), yet it feels fresh and does enough to stand apart.

With all of that said… the thing that does worry me about Bannermen is the scale. Armies of Exigo appealed to me in ways Warcraft does not mainly because the battles were larger, and the units less chunky. I never did like how Warcraft 3 armies always felt like skirmishing warbands instead of the mighty legions described in the plot. Also; the lack of formations and unit behavior controls really irks in in RTS titles like these. Again, it’s why Warcraft was so ■■■■ hard for me to sink into. I hope Bannermen works such things in, and certainly hope AOE 4 looks to AOE2/ AOM rather than AOE 3 for unit management systems.

1 Like

Age of Empires was the first and best to occupy the classical and medieval RTS genres. It doesn’t need to get out of the way for bannerman or anybody else.

5 Likes

I can not imagine Age of Empires IV with modern warfare or something like WW 1-2 era.

New game mechanics such as planes might be interesting but I always felt deep in my heart that ancient times is the best AGE for Age of Empires. Age of Empires 3 usage of rifles is strange, I liked AoE 2 or 1 feeling a lot more.

5 Likes

Generally agree there @Trajanas. I think a pre-modern ere has potential to work, but they’d need to really capture the shift in military doctrines to really make it feel like an evolution in warfare, rather than just “Age level 3: your troops can shoot from further away.”. And yeah, AOE 2 is definately the high point. I am not so keen on a revisit of antiquity though, simply because we’ve gone to that age more than a few times by now (AOE 1, AOM and AOE Online).

1 Like

I don’t see planes flying before ww1, but an eagle or hawk as scout might be a nice addition for certain civs.

1 Like

Strongly disagree. While there are a bunch of medieval RTS produced during the last 10 years no one comes close to an authentic AOE game. AOE RTS is just next level and its really hard to tell a game that can compete with it.

2 Likes

AoE I and II had covered much of that genere. Then AoE III had covered enlightment/colonial era generes. There is a lots of expectations of generes AoE had not covered which in the falls in the first half of 20th century. There must be expansion packs of AoE III which must includes weaponary, infastructures diversity and specfications. E.g. concepts of types and specfications of weaponary and armory buildings during colonial/enlgihtment eras of 17th to 19th century and much more…

You mean thematic, agesor epoch aren’t no a genre.

Pushing a real classic game like AOE to modern ages wouldn’t be good for this franchise. Too much competition there anyway. Also it will start to look like Rise Of Nations from MS. Did you ever play that game?

4 Likes

Yeah I played RoN and its expansion packs and recently I also played Empires Dawn of the Modern World. But not neccessary just come up with new unique concepts, features, specifications and graphical engine and designs. Though I never bother to push my ideas on the developers, that they may consider it spammy.

Anyway the main stress for AoE IV where changes to be made which I perfer is in the following areas (as a Unique Selling Point) which counts the most in the end wheter its a campagin or a skrimisher mode;-

1. Concepts;- Historical, Political, Economic, Cultural and Social
  2. Features
  3. Specifications
  4. Graphical Design
  5. Graphics Engine
1 Like

Yeah I played RoN and its expansion packs and recently I also played Empires Dawn of the Modern World. But not neccessary just come up with new unique concepts, features, specifications and graphical engine and designs. Though I never bother to push my ideas on the developers, that they may consider it spammy.

1 Like

Why spammy?

The first must be gameplay, and concept cover whole thing.
But I’m not sure about specifications?

1 Like

I think he refers to the numerous amount of new posts with almost like the same subject and content. That could be considered as spamming by the moderators. I don’t have any problem with that though. Just clean it up later.

Lionkanzentai is there to defuse my posts for fun, and he really able to do that. I will suggest you not to bother his replies on my posts because I had flagged this guy a several times, rest is up to you.