Of all the pros the game has, which one is your favorite?

Eco dynamics, walls and sound.

2 Likes
  • Sound, unanimously

• Music, also.
    The dynamic music vs. static tracks dichotomy reminds me of how the Zelda scores evolved through time.

Going on a tangent here. Ocarina of Time had so many memorable melodies, now capable of evoking immense nostalgia. The hardware limitations made it necessary to have such well crafted music, as there were only so many sounds that could be played at once. So the role each ā€œinstrumentā€ played was incredibly well developed.

Breath of the Wild brought subtle, dynamic tracks that responded beautifully to the playerā€™s surroundings, while taking advantage of better technology (with proper orchestration) and STILL creating memorable harmonies, melodies and timbres. Now we can have film-quality soundtracks on videogames, meaning the concept of sound dynamics (quiet moments can be as important as loud moments) and - why not - delayed gratification make the intense events REALLY intense.

I think something very, very similar happened to AoE. Including the nods to past soundtracks, that make me wonder if some of the same composers were involved in some capacity. Hats off, everybody!

Sorry, music is very important to me :sweat_smile:

• Stability, since in that department weā€™ve come to expect ridiculous releases from huge companies in the industry. Looking at you, Ubi and CD-Projekt Red.

• Balance, you can tell itā€™s being played by hundreds of people for a while now.

• Overall fun, which could be better described in an essay I donā€™t have the time to type out!

As we all know, some adjustments are needed. And some expectations we held since the last decade werenā€™t met. But overall the pros outweigh the cons; happy to be here.

P.S. Wow this is crazy, this super detailed video on Ocarina of Timeā€™s music was recommended to me How Creative Limitations Shaped Ocarina of Time's Best Music - YouTube
A tad off-topic, but a great watch for anyone interested!

3 Likes

Mongol civilization and Mangudai that can finally shoot while moving.

2 Likes

BEST thing about aoe 4.
Unit representation and role is much closer to realism than aoe2

6 Likes

Some of my most favourites
Homing arrows , Farm placement QoL , Age up wonders .
Also Magudai and Nest of Bees .
But the best of them all
drumrolls
No decay

1 Like

Well I havenā€™t had access to the closed beta like some of you obviously have, butā€¦

I like the fact that villagers actually have to chop down a tree before they chop pieces of it off.

I like that villagers have an animation for dropping things like logs into the camps. (And not just bumping into buildings and having the resources instantly vanish.)

I love the sheep following the scout around - it is adorable.

I like villagers donā€™t spastically bump into each other just trying to harvest 1 sheep.

I like that the Muslim factions refuse meat that is not halal (aka: no boar/ swine flesh).

I also like that Abbasid men-at-arms wear eastern splint mail while western armies wear chain mail.

And, despite many other people complaining about it, I actually really like the qwerty grid control system. Coming more from MOBAs rather than RTS, I was surprised I could instantly pick up the gameā€™s hotkeys and didnā€™t have to click an icon onceā€¦ Itā€™s just a little sad that this is not talked about at all as the game seems to not be advertised to the MOBA communities at all even though it would be perfect for them.

8 Likes

Their enthusiasm is hilarious

1 Like

Definitely FE_MarkR / GiveUAnxiety. See what I did there?

Thereā€™s a whole host of things I love about the gameā€¦ but if thereā€™s something that stands out for me:

1. Civs feel unique, fun to play, and exciting to discover.
  2. Unit pathing logic is actually really, really good.
  3. Love the graphics - evokes a sense of adventure for meā€¦ and itā€™s so pleasant to look at. It accentuates details really well too.

Iā€™ve documented a whole list of things I like here: Age of Empires 4: Comprehensive Closed Beta + Stress Test Feedback Contd.

6 Likes

Areā€™nt farms infinite ?

Apparently yes.

Yeah they are in AoE4. I believe AoE2 didnā€™t have that for a long time, then they added the auto-reseed later.

Thank you for the great work that you have done in analyzing positive points that you enjoy in AoE IV. This feedback is very important to us, which allows us to make the game more interesting. Please keep sending comments, because constructive comments will allow us to see where we should pay attention.

9 Likes

It didnā€™t crash for me

I loved when farm was not infinit, people would build alot of tiny city, to secure wood.

But, whit infinit farm, people mass produce farm and build one big city, not expanding.

Players get what they need, by magicaly trading in his city market, where every thing is always there, for the rigth priceā€¦ XD

If Players need 150 farm to be viable and keep spaming units, he will do it, from the safety of his base.

Game will be about the first to get canon, will win.

2 Likes

This is simply not the case.
Buying or selling ressources on the market is not cost effective and it becomes less cost effective the more you use it. It can be used to correct minor macro issues and mistakes as when you need a bit extra wood for another house or a bit extra ressource for an upgrade. You canā€™t simply use it to compensate for not having a specific ressource, specially if that ressource is gold.
On aoe4 you need map control to secure ressources, especially maps such as King of the Hill where all gold and stone are on the middle.
Turtling on this game can be easily punished by the other player taking the map, denying ressources and potentially capturing all sacret sites and winning the game

Donā€™t worry, when you deplette your stone/wood/gold, i will be the only one having the map control. XD

I will sell so much food, that the price tag of byers will be less then 1 in gold.

You will not need farm to by food.

I will be the one having all the resouces in my hand, since i spam farm every where i could, in a ā€œ+ā€ formation whit the mill. :smiley:

I like units: they seem more realistic by stats. and skirmisher is gone for good. i hate that unit it is so not logical to do what it does in aoe2

1 Like

The campaigns look fun and will be (mostly) new.

The racial differences are much greater than in AoE2 and look like theyā€™re going to make the campaigns feel even more different (similar to how they leveling heroes in the Polish campaign in AoE2 made it feel more unique out of a couple dozen total campaigns).

The appearance of walls being even more important/playing a larger role.

4 Likes

AoE2 still doesnā€™t have infinite farms . It only has ressedable farms which still need wood .