Old timers check in! We pretend it is 1998!

my mate had it i was totaly transfixed he burned a CD copy of it for me (sorry microsoft) to my 9 yer old mind it was the best game ever and when found the Bigdaddy cheat well let’s just say the AI were not impressed

i love this :smiley:

This game was the beginning of many hours spend on mrfixitonline and aoeheaven, reading countless builds and strats, learning civs, units and their counters. Still got my ■■■■ handed to me online, but it was always fun!

Great times lol

Ahh MSN gaming zone spent 5 years playing “super choson wars” on aoe lol, Held gaming room 1 once for 24hrs lol :dizzy:

I was big on RM mode (Assyrian Chariot rush) and then Archer Wars DM (my Yamato Heavy Horse Archers at reduced gold prices!).

Such great times.

@LordGotwals said:
The year is 97 or 98. I am 7 or 8 years old.
The neighborhood kid is showing off his new game_ (like he always showed off his nice things) _and not letting me play. :frowning:
Instead, I watched him play for hours.
I did enjoy that actually, and discovered a lot of new concepts and words! Like Ballista!

Fast forward to 1999.
I am 9 years old.
Age of Kings comes out. I saw it on the shelf at Sam’s Club and begged my grandfather to buy it for me. Immediately hooked. Played and replayed the campaigns and became obsessed with reading up on the history (was already obsessed with medieval history, and Braveheart was my favorite movie at that age, so this was a recipe for addiction).

The game was a staple of my childhood. To this day I quote the funny voice commands.
I even made a model working trebuchet for my 6th grade science project.

Sadly, Dial up was so bad, I never played it online.

Fast forward to Circa 2008, I am 18 and in college. Found my old disc. Binge played the game.
Disc became destroyed that year (probably for the better). Sad face again.

Fast forward to circa 2014, I was 24.
Learned there was an AoE II HD Edition on Steam!!!

For the first time, I successfully played AoE with friends online.

_There was much rejoicing. _

Fast forward to 2017…

Now you tell me that soon I can play the original game that my childhood self was deprived of?
Huzzah!!!**

Wow, I had the same history! :o You just have to change that kid for my best friend in his house in my case. Ooh, it’s great to be here again fellas. Nostalgia everywhere :cry:

I remember having such a gaming deprived childhood that when my dad came home with AOE: Rise of Rome, we couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t play after installing. Had to learn the hard way that expansions and having the original disk. Was hooked after that, until I realized didn’t have hundreds of dollars to upgrade my computer every few years, and had to give up after AOE III.

The things I would do to play it like that again <3

Can’t wait to play again! I still remember all the scenarios i played way back when on my really old pc

@Felishya said:
My old AOE, AoK, Urban Assault and Empire Earth Machine thousands of years ago, hahaha :smiley:

And here is my host station today … Just got a new Edifier S550 instead of the HCS5640 in the pic.

(

Oh my… don’t tell me you’ve put your display on a subwoofer. That’s criminal, man, a huge vibration can kill it sooner than expected.

@the_choson_one said:

@Felishya said:
My old AOE, AoK, Urban Assault and Empire Earth Machine thousands of years ago, hahaha :smiley:

And here is my host station today … Just got a new Edifier S550 instead of the HCS5640 in the pic.

(

Oh my… don’t tell me you’ve put your display on a subwoofer. That’s criminal, man, a huge vibration can kill it sooner than expected.

Ahaha no! That’s not the subwoofer. What you’re seeing is my center speaker and the display is mounted to the wall. There is no connection at all - just my wallet on the speaker. Who the hell puts his display on subwoofer anyway? And who puts the subwoofer on the desk? My wouldn’t even fit, because it is fucking huge and stands right on the ground under the desk. You can check it out. Just search for “Edifier S550” :slight_smile:

@Felishya said:

@the_choson_one said:

@Felishya said:

(

Ahaha no! That’s not the subwoofer. What you’re seeing is my center speaker and the display is mounted to the wall. There is no connection at all - just my wallet on the speaker. Who the hell puts his display on subwoofer anyway? And who puts the subwoofer on the desk? My wouldn’t even fit, because it is **** huge and stands right on the ground under the desk. You can check it out. Just search for “Edifier S550” :slight_smile:

Ahahaha well then! optical illusion of mine! Btw, nice desk, and searching that Edifier S550… what a beast man :wink:

@the_choson_one said:

@Felishya said:

@the_choson_one said:

@Felishya said:

(

Ahaha no! That’s not the subwoofer. What you’re seeing is my center speaker and the display is mounted to the wall. There is no connection at all - just my wallet on the speaker. Who the hell puts his display on subwoofer anyway? And who puts the subwoofer on the desk? My wouldn’t even fit, because it is **** huge and stands right on the ground under the desk. You can check it out. Just search for “Edifier S550” :slight_smile:

Ahahaha well then! optical illusion of mine! Btw, nice desk, and searching that Edifier S550… what a beast man :wink:

Thanks man!

Im stoked for it

i played the game in 2000 is was 6 lol

Anyone remember some of the clans from the 98/99 years of AoE in trial? I remember a few off hand since I was in a few of them like APO, EPS, and WD. I dumped way too many hours into that game as a young adult.

is that a 386 or 486? have mercy 16 megs of ram goodness? is busta-rhyme tunes in the background?

I don’t like to brag, but… I set up a 10mb Ethernet network in my basement and networked half a dozen computers. It was mostly for work, but my best friend and I spent many hours killing the villagers and warriors of the ancient world on AoE. I never played the demo. Bought the game as soon as I saw it in 1997 because I thought the idea that it was real-time strategy instead of turn based was pretty cool.

Haha I used to play this, starcraft, and Final Fantasy 7 on my dad’s roommate’s windows 98 computer… man that was some fun.