Old timers check in! We pretend it is 1998!

I’m not an old timer, but I like to think that I am. I started playing when I was around 5 or 6 on the first game. It took me a little while to master the game but ive but many hours into all three(never played age of mythology).

Awesome!!! Checking in guys, AoE shaped my fresh era at college! Can’t wait to become official beta tester now :slight_smile:

Several people commented that they got their older versions to work on Windows 10 machines. HOW? I have been trying to load my old game on my new laptop and it wont work. It loads but wont play??? I would LOVE to be able to play again… sometime before October 19th

@TangledEagle76 said:
Several people commented that they got their older versions to work on Windows 10 machines. HOW? I have been trying to load my old game on my new laptop and it wont work. It loads but wont play??? I would LOVE to be able to play again… sometime before October 19th

1. Run EVERYTHING (including the installer) as Administrator
  2. I recommend installing it to somewhere other than Program Files, because if you forget t “Run as Administrator” then your campaign progress and save games will be deleted. I have mine in C:\AOE\
  3. On Windows 8 (I don’t think it happens on 10, but I don’t remember for sure) you’ll get a pop-up saying something like “Windows needs to install the following for this application to work.” Say yes/ok to let it install DirectPlay.
  4. Once installed, you can right click on the icon → Properties → Compatibility and “Run this program in compatibility mode for” Windows 98 or XP. Also check the box that says “Run this program as an administrator.”

Many people say that step 4 is unnecessary, but I think it depends on your system.

1. For high resolution, go to upatch-hd.weebly.com and download then install UPatch.

Lol My first PC ( if you can even call it that ) was a ADAM it ran on casette like tapes

Then Apple , when we played Oregon trail…

Then when internet arrived a Tandy 500 MB total hard disc space pc running win98 and dial up aol 4.0
Then a Imac which was a little better …LOL
Now I have a much better computer and a Ipad

I remember the day when you could get AoE from a box of Nutri Grain.

Guys i remember go to the shop to buy the game, and play and play and play was amaizing, iplay all aoe from aoe to mithology, now the games need more to keep me like that, but its great, hope to see the game

The greatest history lesson there was this game. Was in highschool and had to learn about Jeanne D’arc. I just played the campaign and aced the history test. good times

WOW. Time flies quick. I used to be a nerd and had hair on me head. Now my hair have been thinned out, but I am still a nerd. Thank you for the memory. Ensemble people influenced my teen years. Relic please #makeEnsembleProud with AOE 4!

@“Gino NL” I had a Spanish teacher in high school, and nobody in her classes had ever heard of El Cid, except for an extraordinary number of students around 2000-2003 when the Conquerers was big.

Yep, me and my pal when I was 16 were playing this game, started at 6pm, and 8 am I had to go to work at Circuit City :slight_smile: selling computers. Pentium 2 333 with 32mb of ram and 8gb hard drive I think ? Great times.

I used to have one of those old grey-turned yellow monitors with the de-magnetization button.
Klick it and the whole screen whould shake while you’re sat there hoping your testicles didn’t lose their mojo.

@LazyFragger said:
I used to have one of those old grey-turned yellow monitors with the de-magnetization button.
Klick it and the whole screen whould shake while you’re sat there hoping your testicles didn’t lose their mojo.

Gotta love a cheeky degaus :slight_smile:

I was in the 7th grade. We had networking at school and a really cool science teacher. RoR was what excited me to go to school. Putting the disc in to start then ejecting to pass it one. Oh the good old days.

With the delay of the definitive edition, I guess we’ll continue to rock it like it’s 1998. That’s around when when I bought it for my kids, and fell in love with it for myself. Still playing. So’s my son, per his Steam account. Good times

We used to play networked with my son and his friends. Usually took about 4 hours to play. In the end when we got tired we as the adults would send our troops. It literally was a blue line of troops clear across the screen. The kids could never figure out how we did that…resource management…can’t wait to play with my son again who is now 28 and I am turning 50! Great memories!

I remember trying to share one disc between three computers so that my dad, sisters, and I could gang up on the computers.

Oh man, I still remember playing this game when new. My desktop computer would not run it when it came out actually, but my shiny new work laptop could! I remember playing on my 19inch 432 pound (estimated weight) crt monitor at work actually… I believe I first played off the demo disc from PC Gamer? Been a while but that’s what I seem to remember.

At work a couple weeks back I was approcahed to go repair a computer on a production machine that had quit booting suddenly. Ok. What’s its running I ask, how old? They say, oh, well, it’s running Windows 95. The look on my face was priceless I’m sure. Got it fixed, had to extract files off of the original 13 floppy discs to repair and all 13 discs were still good! And the floppy drive worked! Just when I thought I’d seen it all.

Working on that got me to remembering AoE actually hence me joining up here to keep in the loop better.

I still have a 2000 built high end machine (for that time) with windows 98 on it just for this game, and descent. I used to borrow Pc’s from work and have my kids and their Friends play on my network at home all weekend long

Just upgraded my RAM to 32 from 16, I can play in 8 player mode now! How cool is that?