Old versions of protoy.xml and other files needed for mods?

I’m trying to use generate unix patch files for mods that are broken. This would mean I need the versions of the game files that the mods were based on. Once I have the patch file generated, it ideally will be used to patch the changes back into the latest version of the game files in a mostly automated way. Alternatively, if that doesn’t work, I would find/build a similar system that would do xml patches. Then we can have a tool that will auto-update mods. I can test it on existing mods without having some kind of archive of old versions of the original commonly modded xml game files.

I don’t know how to get the old versions of those files though.

Secondarily, does anyone know how to use protomods.xml properly? I think it might be possible to use the xml patching kind of thing I mentioned above, combined with the old source game files, to convert a mod into a protomods based mod that would not break on every update so easily.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I’m also experimenting with using Beyond Compare to merge the new data files with the modded versions in a way that might predictably update them to the new versions. But I am not sure if this is going to work well for an automated system.