On Age Ups and Civ Bonuses

I believe and I hope many agree that one of the best ways to make any Aoe game, but especially Aoe2 more interesting is in modifying the way you unlock unique aspects of a Civilisation, and how you Age up.

To AOE3’s credit it for sure has the most interesting Age up mechanics with unique buildings.

What AOE3 lacks or is a bit underdeveloped in is with Unique Technologies, In theory they are available over the Church but they aren’t as strong, or central to an Identity like in Aoe2.

Since I am the most familiar with Age of Empires 2, Medieval Germany, and some other RTS Games like Company of Heroes 2. Here is my concept for Aging up with the HRE and what it could look like.

Monuments:

As a note I hope that all civs age up with monuments, they are a great way to expand your civilization and look cool. Germany obviously has a lot of impressive Castles; one could be an Age up Monument.

Another powerful element was the Hanseatic League and could be represented by a Kontor, a foreign trading post, or a famous building from one of the quarter capitols, Lübeck, Brunswick, Magdeburg, Danzig, or Cologne (Cologne Cathedral?).

Trier was an important Roman city and could be incorporated via a Basilica or the Baths, a strong nod to the ex Roman aspect of parts of Germany.

These are just some examples that come to mind.

So let’s say you choose a monument to age up. That means you would have say 4 or 5 chances to specialize during your gameplay. I think the best way to do this is with One static bonus, and one or two unique upgrades per building.

I’m just going to say that Aoe2 has 40 Civs/8 is 5, so I will pick 5 Civs with then 10 unique techs. (Teutons, Magyars, Bulgarians, Italians, Lithuanians) so you can have 2 unique techs per age.

So you could have

Ironclad (siege weapons +4 melee armor)

Crenellations (Castles +3 range; garrisoned infantry fires

Stirrups (Light Cavalry, Knight line and Konniks attack 33% faster)

Bagains (Militia line +5 melee armor)

Pavise (foot archers (except Skirmishers) and Condottieri +1/+1 armor)

Silk Road (trade units cost -50%)

Hill Forts (Town Centers +3 range)

Tower Shields (Spearman line and Skirmishers +2 pierce armor)

Corvinian Army (Magyar Huszars cost no gold)

Recurve Bow (Cavalry Archers + 1 range and attack)

Monument (Trade/Guard Focus - Hansa) 1

Silk Road (trade units cost -50%)

Tower Shields (Spearman line and Skirmishers +2 pierce armor)

Monument (Foot Army Focus) 2

Ironclad (siege weapons +4 melee armor)

Bagains (Militia line +5 melee armor)

Monument (Cavalry Focus) 3

Stirrups (Light Cavalry, Knight line and Konniks attack 33% faster)

Corvinian Army (Magyar Huszars cost no gold)

Monument 4 (Fortification Focus)

Hill Forts (Town Centers +3 range)

Crenellations (Castles +3 range; garrisoned infantry fires

Monument 5 (Raiding focus)

Recurve Bow (Cavalry Archers + 1 range and attack)

Pavise (foot archers (except Skirmishers) and Condottieri +1/+1 armor)