One Year Since Release, Disconnect Bug STILL Affects AoE2: DE

A lot of internet companies have marked steam and other gaming services as spam due their high traffic, adding latency and blocking the connection, that is why the alternative is to use a VPN, if you are getting a lot of DC like MBL had, it wasn’t the game it was his company, if the problem would be for everyone there would be thousands of complains in steam and here, there aren’t too many as you can see meaning that even if the disconnections happen is not for everyone and to back up that there are thousands of games being played right now form the beginning to the end.

I am sad for you guys but try using a VPN there are free of them, or try using another ISP.

I think the point is being missed, which is NOT that I am getting dcd, (in fact I almost never get dcd myself), it’s that when you play team games, SOMEONE dcs literally every other game, and that is not an exaggeration.

And when one person dcs, the others just resign in a domino effect. THAT’s the problem…

It’s obviously more of a problem in team games than in 1v1.

In 1v1, assuming you yourself have no dc issues, which is true in my case, then the other person dcing just means you get a free win. It’s not great for competitiveness, but at least you don’t get pissed off if it happens.

When you play team games however, someone else dcing either means you auto win or auto lose. It’s extremely infuriating, and when you put it on top of the horrific matchmaking, it makes team games a terrible experience…

For the people trying so hard to make excuses: if your game is fine, play it, be happy, and leave this topic to the great portion of the community that is trying to have this problem solved. To deny that this issue is indeed affecting a great number of players is to be blind. I mean, just look at Steam forums, there are so many topics on this issue it’s impossible not to notice.
Why bother so much with people reporting a very game-breaking bug?
I myself have not disconnected once, but I had a number of ranked team games with other people disconnecting and thus spoiling the match. Right now I’m waiting on the next patch before trying any other ranked team game. It’s just preposterous to assume it’s ISP related since it’s affecting so many people. If it were, I’d have noticed long ago, but in fact it has become more frequent and noticeable since the last patch only. I had no game with drops before. So it is due to patching. And by the way: no game should require a VPN to be played.

3 Likes

see this is the problem. people have said countless time here that we are talking about team games AND observing other people disconnect. So please, try to understand the problem before you go on a crusade to downplay it. This goes for the two or three people here on the forums who always start making excuses like ISP or “I dont experience it” without understanding what the problem actually is.

Again this is a huge issue, and if you love this game you will do it a service by pushing for its resolution rather than downplaying it every chance you get.

1 Like

Other players have found a solution to their issues by using a VPN, like i said it is not about the game or the servers, it is due their ISP most of the times.

So you got angry because i am offering options instead of giving Like to their complains, is that it? i thought a forum was about sharing solutions among the users, last patch the devs addressed disconnects and that resulted in a 2 weeks DC for every single TG, it was massively reported until the hot fix.

True, true. We are talking team games. I’ve also never had any drops in 1v1’s. And yet someone here mentioned tournaments like HC3, NAC3 and RedBull, which were all 1v1 tournaments… just so off the mark.
It’s hard to grasp so much passion to deny our claims or defend the developers, which, to be honest, aren’t even under heavy fire like they make it seem.

1 Like

I don’t think so, since you need to be logged in to play multiplayer to begin with.
Also whenever we tried to play we never had anyone playing through xbox, and the dc still happened.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case.

Huh this is interesting to know, tho idk if this would be the case with him since he’s already done much more internet stress be4 without having issues (he’s able to upload a lot of heavy stuff without problems). I’ll let him know abt it.

It’s just annoying that we bought this game at launch mostly to be able to play it together, and to this day we were unable to.

I don’t think this makes sense.

If it’s not about the game but about the ISP flaggins steam up as you say and it gets solved using a VPN, then the same issue would be happening for people who have it happening to them in AoE2 in other multiplayer games which use Steam as well.

However, given that I have plenty of other multiplayer games on steam and I have never, literally never, not even once, experienced a disconnect issue on them, how can what you’re saying be true?

1 Like

The other point that’s missed is that the extremely frequent disconnects don’t just affect the team game they happen in, they indirectly even affect other team games and future team games you haven’t played yet.

The reason is because when you have one person disconnect in a team game, almost invariably everyone else on that team resigns immediately (very rareely, if it’s a 4v4, people will stay if just one person disconnects), which means that that game counts as a loss. This then ends up affecting matchmaking rating and people who should be losing end up winning just because someone from the other side disconnected. So you have a completely screwed up team matchmaking system, and you can’t end up getting fair, balanced matches in future too, even when people don’t disconnect, just because there have been so many inappropriate disconnect related victories in other matches before…

People also need to understand that any kind of disconnect issue is MUCH MUCH more aggravating in AoE2 than any other game, simply because of the design of AoE2. Single games can easily last over an hour, and you spend most of that time building up an army and an economy, to have it all destroyed by a disconnect…You have to then re-invest another hour or so of your time, whereas say for example you disconnected in a shooter or fighting game, it’s no problem since matches are very short and you don’t feel you’ve “lost” anything because of a disconnect.

You don’t have to spend an hour building your weapons or training your fighting styles in a shooter or fighting game before you can compete. When you play, your weapon or your fighter will do as much damage as they ever would from beginning to end of the match, (unless the game has rpg elements, which is not uncommon, but that’s really a different genre). Whereas in AoE2 alot of the fun comes after a significant amount of time playing the actual game (e.g. after upgrades etc.).

3 Likes

Just FYI, since the last mini-patch where ranked pools were updated, this issue is STILL happening extremely frequently…please resolve this for the July update.

1 Like

So did the July update fix it for you? Still got some games with drops…

Nope, still having the same issues unfortunately…

1 Like

same issue appearing here