(only) constructive feedback on AoE II RoR

I just wish people were playing online

1 Like

Please don’t. Everything but a Castle.
AoE2 plays so differently because of this one central and very powerful building.
I don’t want AoE1 to play like AoE2, AoE2 already exists and I can go play that.

7 Likes

This is not aoe1, it is aoe2DE within a different time line. I also hope for aoe3 timeline in aoe2 in the future.

Aoe1DE already exists too, we can go play that, how is this an argument?

1 Like

RoR is AoE1.
Everything about the gameplay is AoE1, all the unit stats are AoE1, all the technologies are AoE1.

AoMR will be in the AoE3 engine, that doesn’t mean it should have cannons.

6 Likes

Yes but that’s broken.

That’s like telling people to play AoE2HD because they don’t like some new features like charged attacks or dodging projectiles.

What?
Look at the stats of the units, they are very very far way from what AoE2 is like.

Those are mostly things that were technically not possible in AoE1 and they aren’t missing for game design reasons.

Skill tree?
AoE has no skill tree.
Or do you mean tech tree?
It’s the AoE1 tech tree. Every AoE unit building and technology (with the exception of fanaticism) is still exactly where it used to be.

99% of RoR is AoE1. It doesn’t really matter for the gameplay that the terrain textures are from AOE2.

Probably. We know basically nothing about AoMR.

4 Likes

Things like speed, framedelay and so on have a big impact on how things feel.
Having ballistics also changes a lot and ballistics is only accessible in Iron Age unlike AoE2 where you already get it in Castle Age.

Also stats have an impact. Like how fast do your units die? How many can you even field.
Having Legionaries cost 35 Food, 15 Gold with just 0.5 population means you can field a lot more of them then Champions with their 45 Food, 20 Gold and 1 population.

There are also units in AoE1 that basically have no equivalent in AoE2 like the Chariot Archer. A trash mounted archer unit (and no the Genitour is a very different unit) does not exist in AoE2.

Add Scythians (inventors of chariots), Xiongnu (first who rode horses in battles), Celts, Germans, Magadhans (unified most of India) and Kushites.

3 Likes

Please add unique units and wonders for all civs, currently they look too generic because the units and buildings are basically the same depending on the thech Tree. We need somenting else to feel each civilization unique.

3 Likes

Is the big elephant in the room already adressed there?

No is no proper ranked match making system for RoR AoE1 civs.

Yes, like AoE 3 which has only realistic maps…

I agree with everything…civs and balance issues…

No, because the Academy is made to create only heavy units and the barracks only light melee units…

And what do you do with the other civs?

Yes, like AoM/AoEO…

Yes, it can be…

It happens that they want to keep a certain essence of AoE 1 for Vietnamese AoE1 players, eventually they can make it more like AoE 2 with the successive dlcs…

Because it was the demo campaign of Rise of Rome (besides being the only Carthaginian campaign there is)…

I agree…timeline gaps need to be filled in for AoE 1: Rise of the Israelite Kingdom between 1000 and 734 BCE, Cyrus the Great and the Greco-Persian Wars (559-470 BCE) and then various Roman campaigns and barbarian campaigns (Gaius Marius, Viriatus, Arminius, Boadicea, Constantine) and in between historical battles from Termophyle (480 BCE) to Adrianopolis (378 CE)…

Can you imagine that?..it would be like this:

The civs, the campaigns, the bonuses, the music, the sounds and a long etcetera…

I want to see the crying when the 1.5 receives another expansion and 2DE is not the favorite child for a while.

It also seems outrageous to me that people straight up refused 90% of the RoR DLC because “it’s AoE 1, it’s a different game. I am an AoE 2 player and I only got the Romans civ in unranked for 15 dollars!”

Seriously, where is this elitism coming from? Have these people only played one RTS for their entire lives? It’s not as if they have ported StarCraft in the DE engine. It’s a game of the same franchise, with the same identity and generally the same mechanics.

Currently, the tech trees (units and buildings) are the only and biggest difference between the two games in terms of gameplay and this leads, of course, to a completely different play style.

Why does RoR have to be thrown in the trash? Because it’s not AoE 2? Why does it have to be?

I’m trying to rationalize this topic yet I am unable.

8 Likes

Gameplay of RoR and AoE2 should be kept different. I don’t think castles or other unique features from AoE2 should be added to RoR. But I do think that RoR needs to evolve in a different direction.

• add new Units: Peltast (Javelineer), Battering Ram, Helepolis (Siege Tower), etc.
  • add new Civs and Architectures: Dacians, Gauls, Germans, Iberians, Scythians, Nubians, etc.
  • add unique Wonders for Civs.
  • add new Unit upgrades: Heavy Camel, Elite Chariot Archer, Elite Slinger, etc.
  • add another use to the Academy (New Units, Techs… Summon Zeus? I don’t know)
  • change the names of “Helepolis” for “Polybolos” or other. I don’t know why a Ballista has the name of a Greek siege tower.
15 Likes

Totally agreeing with you, but there is one single feature from AoE2 that is a must even for AoE1: unique units.
I get it that we don’t need a castle/fortress but a unique unit is necessary so civilizations get their own flavor. Right now if you play a scenario without buildings, just units, you cant differentiate at all Yamato from Romans, thing that is absurd at least :slight_smile:

Apart from the unique units, I agree with all your points.

7 Likes

I agree also, RoR and AoE2 should be kept different, and things like castles should not be added.

As to unique units, I would not mind at all if they are added, but I don’t feel that they are necessary to make the civs unique. For example, the Roman and Choson legionaries are stronger than others adding flavor there. The Egyptian priests and Minoan composite bowmen have great range adding flavor there, Palmyran camels are super fast, Sumerian catapults shoot faster, etc. Those are basically unique units, just not re-skinned. Further, the available techs and units further make each civ unique. Adding unique units would be cool, but they are not necessary to distinguish the civs.

1 Like

Still you cant say just from a picture what civs are fighting. As you can do by watching a picture or video from AoE2.
If units re-skin is not necessary then buildings should not be either, right?

1 Like

Couldn’t that also be partially solved by unique skins?
AoE2 also needs regional skins. For most AoE2 civilisations you will rarely build unique units because they require an expensive Castle that can only be build in Castle Age while they often don’t even offer better stats then generic units.

AoE1 has much bigger differences in available units so a Yamato army will look different from a Roman one because they can’t train the same units.

I think the AoE2 concept of unique units is pretty limiting. Just giving every civilisation 1 (nowadays it’s often 2) unique unit that is always on top of the whole generic roster is not very flexible and results in those units rarely being used in higher rank matches.
How many Briton players use Longbows instead of just going for Crossbows?

Regional units like the Eagle Warrior or Steppe Lancer often add more uniqueness to a civilisation then the actual unique units.
A Mayan and Aztec army would probably be exactly the same as the army of some Eurasian civilisation if it wasn’t for the Eagle Warrior.

3 Likes

Sure, unique skins should do it.
I don’t specifically want new units, I want more historical accuracy looking civs. I want some Japanese look on Japanese units as it is on buildings. Anything that brings unique look to a civ should do it for me.

That’s why I play 100% with eagles + unique units when playing Mesoamerican civs, even if it is not the best strategy online, because it breaks the game for me to play a Mesoamerican civ with champions and arbalests.
The historian within me would die.
Also I am one of the few that asked multiple times for regional skins on AoE2DE.

I’m personally prefer Singleplayer or playing with friends.
I spend most of the time in the game making and testing scenarios.
Giving civilisations armies that feel correct is a big thing for me. AoE2 has a bunch of scenario editor only units (like Eastern Swordsman or Sogdian Cataphract) on top of the option of being able to mix unique units of different civilisations.
But there is only so much you can do compared to AoE3 where some civilisations can almost only train unique units.

AoE1/RoR doesn’t have this at all. You are stuck with generic units unless you use mods to unlock AoE2 units. But those are often broken and the icons are always wrong, and that ignores that most of them just look too medieval.

I agree to the implementation of re-skins for units as well as architecture. Good point.

3 Likes