Option to ban units in multiplayer games?

I think it’s a fun idea to be able to ban some units, buildings or even upgrades on pvp like in the old map editor (as I remember).
It could be like banning heros in hots but with units in competitive games.

I could dig this in tournament games, like a tournament mode of some sort.

I think thats a little too hard to balance since some factions (at least in AoE 2 HD) dont have a lot of good unit options and other factions can go for almost any unit so it would HEAVILY favor the faction with more choices

Tournament mode sounds interesting, but they’d need to figure out some intuitive way to set this up. Maybe loadable configs that could regulate availability of ships, heroes, units, buildings, etc? That way you could get tournament/industry standard builds for different gamemodes.

@Demokrit said:
I think thats a little too hard to balance since some factions (at least in AoE 2 HD) dont have a lot of good unit options and other factions can go for almost any unit so it would HEAVILY favor the faction with more choices

Doesn’t have to be balanced. I think about banning triremes or priests or maybe town centers and if you lose it then you have to be careful with your villagers.

@Zsombro said:

@Demokrit said:

Doesn’t have to be balanced. I think about banning triremes or priests or maybe town centers and if you lose it then you have to be careful with your villagers.

Well now it sounds like its supposed to be a fun game mode as opposed to a competitive aspect. Im fine with that but I don’t think stuff like that should ever touch the competitive ranked game mode

I also like this idea. Some type of competitive mode would be really fun, maybe with some ranking system as is in other games like Starcraft.

Don’t go for unit ban, go for civ ban instead: it’s much more balanced and alot easier to grasp, especially for newer players

Ye i agree with you. For competitive game maybe 1 ban per team can be interessant a bit like mobas and theire draft mode.

Civilizations are balanced around all units. Taking any unit away would made some civs much weaker. Most of the time there is only two or three different land units that are strong in each civ.

Rather than blocking the most op units (Looking at chariots) should they be nerfed to make them viable without making the useless.

Banning civilization would be great instead:

teams with 3 player each: (cannot pick same civ twice or pick same civ as enemy team)

Team A bans civ.
Team B picks civ.
Team A picks civ.

Team B bans civ.
Team A picks civ.
Team B picks civ.

Team B bans civ.
Team A bans civ.
Team A picks civ.
Team B picks civ.