Over efficiency of Stone Market Exchange

If you’re involved in the competitive community you’ve likely seen players comment on the defensive stalemates that games can result in. Beastyqt having a video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-oMbLnoV6U&pp=ygUNYmVhc3R5cXQgYW9lNA%3D%3D

While he advocates for mostly map changes, something I agree with, there is a mechanic that’s not often brought up that I think is a big contributor and wanted to shine some light on. That is market exchanging for stone.

As a refresher here’s how market exchange works:
At the market you can exchange gold for any resource. Each resource has a base rate (170g for 100 stone, 130g for 100 of anything else) and a growth every time that exchange is used (+4 gold per exchange, even for stone)

The problem
I think part of the problem with late game stalemates, or at least something to look at is this exchange rate. When games get to a long stalemate situation what you often see are 2 stone walled players who constantly siege and ram each other, but each push or raid does minimal damage before the walls are repaired and the position is reset. In this ultra late game players may be trading or otherwise having a supply of lasting resource. Players will have large banks resources and wars are of attrition. The problem in this state is it’s a very long slog and often players will not deplete resources to any amount that matters.

Now in this situation there is one resource that more than the others is limited, stone. It’s the least plentiful on the map and the most directly required to defensively hold the map (emplacements, walls, keeps). A map like dry arabia has 7.2k stone per side in 1v1 (4 smalls, 1 big per player).

However the market exchange rate dramatically changes the amount of stone. There’s a few ways to look at it. First some stats:

• The first 2400 stone from the market costs 5232 gold to obtain. (~2.2gold per stone). If you mine all the stone on your side and make this trade then the market obtained stone would be 25% of your total stone.
  • In terms of rarity, not villager time, 1 stone is 3.3gold (a map like dry arabia has 3.3x the gold it does stone, each pit is 3.3 the amount of gold it is stone)
  • To trade at the value of 330g/100stone you would first have to obtain 4k gold
  • Every 100 stone is 5 stone wall repairs. That first 2.4k stone would repair 120 wall segments.

Overall the market provides a tremendous amount of stone, especially in terms of repairing and replacing stone walls. I don’t wish to propose an actual solution, but rather call attention to the exchange. Especially with things like trading I think it’s worth looking at or thinking about the stone exchange.

By further limiting stone availability via the market you would have a minimal/no impact on feudal or castle (or even early imperial) play, but could directly target the ability for players to maintain a stalemate late game. It doesn’t change the amount of stone at your disposal until late enough that it’s worth using the market exchange in bulk. I think it’s a lever worth looking at and could greatly improve long games and their ability to be stagnant.

2 Likes