Persian Civ Mod

Irrelevant civs like Celts, Goths or Huns can be replaced with more important ones as they existed before the Medieval Age in Roman Era

1 Like

Unit model isn’t the really important because all the common units’ look don’t fit the civs which are not European.

None of those are irrelevant!

2 Likes

in what way in the medieval era game?

agree with you about the unit models…:slightly_smiling_face:
i was just stating an opinion of mine about the battle elephants…

Dont mind.
I just had hoped every civs can get their own building style and unit skin before IIDE released.
LOL

Persians still used elephants in warfare as a significant part of their armies and same goes for cavalry archers. Hence the inclusion of Battle Eles along with War Eles, and the civ bonus cav archers get reflects how Persians had among the 3 best in history, the other 2 being Mongols and Seljuks.

Neither do the models for a lot of other units, which mostly use European models.

As for suggestions to other civs like Indians and Saracens, I appreciate the feedback from you guys and am getting some ideas for what I want to do. Regarding the Persians, I’m planning on an unique upgrade like the Indians got, rather than an unique unit as the only unique unit options I can think of that would benefit them are a siege weapon or a naval vessel (Due to lack of BBC’s and Cannon Galleon in the mod). This mod covers their cavalry pretty well as they get the full roster of mounted units fully upgraded, and the only way to add something meaningful to that was with an unique upgrade.

Having said that, don’t expect any brand new units in my mods (Except Persians) until there’s actual proper support for importing new graphics.

Oh, I just saw you add Bracers for CA, well done. In my view, giving Persian full CA is pretty good enough, the bonus make it strong than current CA civs like Huns and Magyars too much.

The current Persian team bonus reflect that Persian cavalry is the ancestor of European heavy cavalry, I think it’s already a good design.

I know that Persian army had used elephants, however they did not use elephants as often and as much as Indian and Southeast Asian, even other civs in China, Africa and European also used elephants in warfare too, so make Persian gets the inclusion of Battle Eles along with War Eles is really a good option? Such like Chinese, Mongols and Japanese used a lot of gunpowder in history, but there are not in the game, otherwise they will too OP.

Full stable with both elephants and lancers isn’t really necessary. It seems to me that remain one and remove another, and remaining lancers and removing elephants are the better case than remaining elephants and removing lancers I think.

Or Indian get team bonus or tech that allies can train 10 war elephants free in castle or market in Imperial age , +2 elephants if the training ally civ. is Persian. Keep the strength balance and also reflect the history that you focus.

Aswaran has been appear in Persian campaign, actually it’s not a new unit, just make it unhero.

Huns have cheaper CA’s and miss out on the last archer armour upgrade, meaning any civ with fully upgraded CA’s have better ones, technically. The current civs with strong CAs are Mongols, Turks and Magyars and the Persian civ bonus in this mod doesn’t make them too strong compared to these 3 civs, they will at best be on par with them.

Agreed Steppe Lancers should take priority over Battle Eles if I had to narrow it down to 4 units, considering Persians already have War Eles, and I did consider this but decided against it. This is because it didn’t sit right with me that they miss out on either unit considering ES’s original vision for Persians was they would have access to every non-unique mounted in the game.

That’s pretty interesting. I might consider that in the Indian mod (They’re definitely getting a team bonus related to elephants that’s for sure).

I am aware of this and is exactly what I’m working on, just not in its current state because it would be too strong otherwise.

Hey, I wanted to bump this thread because I made probably the most ambitious update to this mod yet.
Apart from nerfing the cost of Kamandaran (It’s still way too op for a Castle Age tech at that cost), I reclassed Steppe Lancer units as Heavy Cavalry so they now have different stats and play noticeably differently (Meaning Mongols lose the HP bonus for Steppe Lancers now) and drumroll
the Persians get a new UU! It’s called the Grivpanwar and it upgrades from the Elite Steppe Lancer. Would love feedback on the current state of this mod and (especially) the new unit. Please let me know what changes you would like to see for the Persians or other civs. I feel like I’m ready to start working on mods for other civs now so will be working on the Saracens next.

1 Like

Will you combine all civ mods or will they be separate mods?

1 Like

If there is demand then of course I would like to combine them, but for now they’re going to be separate. I’m going to see how people respond to the mods and then work from there.

Hey guys, I updated the mod to 36906.

This update also reverts the Steppe Lancers back to Light Cavalry stats meaning Cumans, Mongols and Tatars all gain benefits to them again. Grivpanwar on the other hand are still heavy cavalry despite being just as mobile so they still have similar stats. Hop on over to the mod link to see the update log.

Text mods currently do not work. I submitted a bug report on this last week or the week before.

Link to Bug Report: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/text-mods-do-not-work-in-aoe2de/80436

Hey guys!

Relating to the Persian mod I was hoping for your opinons. Regarding the Cav Archer bonus would you guys prefer I leave the current bonus of +1 attack per age starting Castle Age, or one that removes frame delay and lets CAs fire an extra arrow after researching Parthian Tactics?

Hey thanks for letting me know. I had a look at your bug report and it’s unfortunate that is the case. Text mods work for me when entering the Standard Game lobby but when replicating the bug as you mentioned they don’t work as intended. Hope the devs address this issue because the new unit in my mod depends on their functionality on its information to be viewed properly.

1 Like

I like your ideas with the Persians. When play-testing your mod, it actually made the Persians feel more authentic. I would like to test out the Cav Archers without the frame delay. That would be very interesting. My only concern is whether it would make them too OP with the ability to hit-and-run and go unpunished. If it does, then they would have to get some kind of nerf to try to balance it. That may mean losing Bracer again, or another upgrade.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! Sounds like a plan, I can change it to no frame delay after Parthian Tactics. Would you like to test the extra arrow as well or just see no frame delay first?

Just a suggestion to you. Whenever you add a unit/tech to any civilization try to replace it with with something in the Tech Tree with free upgrade tech, this will keep the AI functionality of the civilization. AI generally follows civ specific build order, so modifying tech tree too much will make it ineffective. It won’t research the new techs unless you know how to edit AI, this is the workaround you should follow.

Ok just to clarify, so you’re saying that if I make a new unit/tech, I should create another tech that makes this new tech free so that the AI “knows” the new tech is available? If that is the case how can I make the free part only available to the AI and not the human player?

I mean for example if you want to introduce some new unit line to the game, the AI will never build them or research them. DE AI has civ specific strategies for the build order it chooses. So it will be better to make a tech that links the unit research to some other unit that is already available in tech tree. the effect of this tech will be that it will upgrade the unit to other unit for free. Thus if you introduce Eagle Line to Malians for example, AI will never train it as AI doesn’t know how to use them. But if you replace the light cavalry line of Malians with Eagle Line then it will use them. Whenever the AI tries to build light cavalry, the units will auto-upgrade to Eagles. i know it will make it messy but it is the only way to keep AI functionality. You may have noticed even in Full Tech Tree Mode, Indian AI will never build knight line or battle elephant line, this is because it is made to have a camel line build order, it doesn’t matter if tech tree is changed. So if you replace this camel line with knight line(free tech that autoupgrades) then only it will use it.

well that is a new idea. one thing we can do is like linking this free upgrade part to some early tech that is then made available to AI only, players are instructed not to use it. For example we may link free upgrade techs to Looms research, one of the basic techs. AI will definitely research it early on. So this tech can be given more effects. Players can be instructed not to research that or given a dummy tech with the same effect which they can research. AI will not research it since it does not research anything outside it’s original tech tree build order.

1 Like