Photo Mode Camera Height Constraint Problem

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: ######
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
While the photo mode is a nice new addition to the game, one thing I never liked about it is the camera constraint. We can not get too close to the ground in the photo mode (not even close to the normal eye level view), let alone go directly to the ground level (and even below!) like in the free cam mode of the scenario editor. One of my nostalgia is the free view in counter strike, where you can literally go out of the map from any direction.

Here I will present a serious consequence of (the current implementation of) the camera constraints. The photo mode seemingly breaks down when you are looking at elevated terrains nearly horizontally. Attached is an extreme case a save file with a musketeer standing under a really high plateau, just experiment with it, you will find it virtually impossible to get a close shot of the musketeer at a horizontal angle. I found this bug from a real game that unfortunately isn’t available now. I was trying to zoom in on a fight below a cliff and could not do it.

My suggestion would be to totally remove the annoying camera constraint so that not only will the bug be fixed but we can also have more freedom in camera placement. At least, the implementation of the camera constraint should be completely revamped. The current implementation seems to have interfered with functionalities outside the photo mode (See Photomode interferes with scenario editor 'free cam' for an issue that now seems to be fixed).

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: ############ STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Load the attached save file.
  2. Switch to photo mode.
  3. Try to zoom in on the musketeer at a horizontal angle.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
We should be able to zoom in the same way as if the plateau behind the musketeer were not present. Even better, the camera constraint should not be present.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

extreme_case.age3Ysav (8.9 MB)