Please make AOE1 DE Open Source if you now longer add new content to it

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

Honestly, I haven’t played AOE1 DE in a while. However, I have heard from many people that they are eager to get an update with new update for AOE1 DE.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think AOE1 DE is not really developed anymore except for server maintenance.

It would be a pity if AOE1 DE doesn’t get new content anymore.

Therefore I suggest that the source code of AOE1 DE including the modding tools is made open source.

So the community can push the development. This would not exclude that Microsoft can sell more DLCs in the future.

This would probably also lead to more players and ensure that AOE1 DE will continue to be provided with new content for a long time.

What do you think of this idea?

Kind reagards

20 Likes

Yeah, if they can’t or don’t want to keep it alive, so at least let the community do it. In my country AoEDE costs $1 every time there’s a sale, what a joke.

7 Likes

A great idea, that would mean that even this game is gonna get regular updates and not just other 3.

5 Likes

I hate to say it, but this is unfortunately a pipe dream. There is 0 chance in hell that Microsoft is going to relinquish the source code of this game to the community. This game was a sacrifice made as practice for AoE2:DE, and is total abandonware at this point, but Microsoft and Forgotten Empires haven’t made pro-consumer choices for a long time.

1 Like

It’s not going to be opensource. In 2047 Microsoft will announce Age of Empires - Ultra Definitive Edition for the 50th anniversary of Age of Empires 1.

3 Likes

Microsoft could still earn money with the game when it is open source. For example when the game gets more popular because of new content from open source developers they could make a DLC for it. But you have to pay for it.

I think it would be the rescue for AOE DE if it would become open source.

6 Likes

Well, ironically that’s the history of Forgotten Empires right there.

3 Likes

AOE2 isn’t opensource, some people changed the exe file via reverse engineering. Anyway, results wouldn’t be Steam compatible.

AOE1 has more viewers than all other AOE games together. Lots of players and viewers from Vietnam. I think there is really a potential for new DLCs.

5 Likes

While DLCs are coming or not with all the Vietnam playerbase (how large it is?), you can check OpenAge.

Very slow development, but is an open source project of creating an AGE engine clone.

2 Likes

But those are playing the old RoR version, not DE. So there is zero potential of them buying a new DLC, unless that DLC would somehow make them switch to DE in the first place.

1 Like

Perhaps as a precautionary package against eye cancer. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

And that’s probably related to low end PCs?

:question:

Maybe they should offer DE free to them when they buy the DLC. Then they would probably switch.

A middle ground could be to not make the game open source but instead let community members develop the game further. They are not allowed to share the source code externally.

This could be a good way to keep the game alive, which Microsoft might be more likely to agree to.

How is anyone suppose to develop this game without source code?

Maybe I was not clear what I mean sorry. My mother language is not English.

I meant community members who can develop get the source code.

They can work on it. But they are not allowed to share the source code to the public.