Please make building attacks re-targetable

Well this is just a helpful tip for communicating then. When you say this:

In response to this

And that quote (misquote in this case) has been repeatedly taken out of context here, when complaining about the game, to slander the person who said it… There is really only one logical way for us to interpret that.

1 Like

You made him seethe then went out in style :sunglasses:

But isn’t this because you targeted a single unit, so the group was circling to try and get at the unit you chose? That’s why in the case of groups the attack move (or patrol if they ever add it) is the better option. Or are you saying they were trying to attack a unit you hadn’t selected? Because I personally hadn’t noticed that behavior at all.

3 Likes

It’s me or they didn’t do anything?

I assume it is supposed to be like that for balance reasons.
It is supposed to be a valid tactic to bring in something like a ram first to force the TC/keep to shoot it instead of the units that follow.

Oh come on, how can you defend such a thing? It obviously should not be like that and I should have control of my own army/buildings.
In AoE2 for example, units and buildings still hit rams first by default, but you can retarget their attack. That requires skill, because after, let’s say, you kill an archer, the default target will switch back to the rams. So you will have to manually target again another unit. This is not easy to do, but you can still do it if you have the skill, now that’s balancing.

7 Likes

I didn’t say I agree with that decision.
That’s just what I think the intention of that decision is.

come on, it’s a stupid design, we should make noise about that the tournament will be full of all in with target abuse on ram it’s so stupid

1 Like

They will not make you able to retarget attack.

The great critics they get made them rigth to keep it.

This is the final game and a fine piece of art of a AAA game. XD

I just lost a game because my keep was shooting the ram instead of the archers, so my units couldn’t kill the rams. My army was smaller and I may have lost anyway, but not being able to target my keep guaranteed that I would lose.

Retargeting building attacks is a feature that should have been included by default.

I found that defensive structures were unable to change their targets, making ram a near-invincible siege unit. Cannons, trebuchets and all that stuff are just junk. Ram unlock early, the number is large, completely dominate the battlefield.

I think defensive structures should be able to change targets manually, otherwise the game would be dead.

3 Likes

I think it is common sense that a defensive structure be able to hit any target within range, instead of being fixated on a ram.

This might have been an intentional mechanic by the devs to reward aggressive play but it really affects your ability to defend a push when under heavy pressure.

One key thing is the beefy stats of the ram itself, having 900 HP and 15 Ranged Armour

Assuming these stats are true,
Unit Torch Damage: 1 attack every 2.0s
Dark 10+10 vs Siege
Feudal 13+10 vs Siege
Castle 16+10 vs Siege
Imperial 20+10 vs Siege

A ram can take 900/26 = 35 hits from a melee unit in castle age (to be verified)
If you use your melee units or villagers to take out the rams, it will die to focused enemy unit attacks, while your OWN defensive structure(s) will be unable to deal any damage to enemy units, making this an extremely lopsided engagement.

TDLR: Allow specific targeting of enemy units by defensive structures, and players will be able to mount an effective defense against heavy aggression.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right,

ram now attracts all building fire, making building defenses a joke.
Archers’ fire is also drawn to ram, which forces you to control the Archers while the opponent attack with RAM at their leisure.

I got pushed with spearman + ram. It would have been easy to defend, my plan was to kill the ram with the vils and, if the spearmen approached, defend the vils with the TC. But the TC started focusing the ram, and I couldn’t manage to make it fire to the spearman. Is there a way you can choose the target for the TC?

This stupid thing cost me the game 11.

2 Likes

See attached video, even though I’m commanding the town center to attach infantry, it ignores it and keeps attacking on the siege ram:

3 Likes

Is this intentional that you cannot target enemy units with this building? It fires but at whatever is closest which is useless vs ram pushes.

I think it’s pretty stupid that u can’t choose target for ur tc , tower , keep etc .

The power of ram attack is ram tank all the demage with very high range armour and hp , while other units protect ram .

It will be so much better , if u can actually target units arround ram manually , so u can then use ur units to kill ram . Building attacking ram is just wasting their attack .

I played the English in a 2v2 and was attacked early with rams. All I had was 3 arches and my TC filled with villagers. It seems like no matter what I did I could not target the enemy units except for the ram. Though I really wanted to target all the units standing around the ram since they actually take damage from arrows and the Ram barley does.

Is this a bug or a terrible feature? Cause not being allowed to target something else then the ram makes the early ram rush extremely strong since one can just place their archers next to the enemy town centre and not being able to take damage because the ram will tank it all. #LetMeTargetWithTheTC

7 Likes

Hello everyone, i play only with chinese and it´s hard to counter an armored unit rush at feudal age.

Not having a counter unit to armored is really a bad thing, but it could be manageable if TC´s focused on the right unit´s.

When the enemy makes ram the TC / Towers focus all fire on ram´s and that´s dumb.
When you garrisson your vills you´re already being penalized because they´re not producing any resourses.

Even If they focused on knight´s or man at arms it would still be really hard, but not impossible like it is now. I think it could focus on unit´s that are hitting other unit´s instead of the closest tank one (ram).

This way if the attacker really wants to focus on killing the TC, it could focus on attacking it with all unit´s and the TC would only focus on RAM´s, but on the other hand i can send pikes to kill them and they couldn´t hit back without getting back fired. Another thing they could do is garrison unit´s inside the ram to avoid being hit, ungarrisson do some damage and return to avoid TC focus.

Another example: if the attacker uses archers to kill the pikes and maintain the cav hitting TC, the TC would hit the arches. It´s a priority target system like LOL.

What you guys think about this?

1 Like

I also think that Chinese need something to help them against the popular aggressive feudal plays, but
I would assume the TC targetting mechanism had some intention behind it, maybe they found rams not viable otherwise or something.
So along with a nerf to French knights especially in Feudal I wonder if something like early Crossbowmen might be a tool helping Chinese survive in this meta. The historical precedent is there and I don’t see how this would be oppressive or unfun and it sounds like a nice complement to somewhat underperforming Zhuge Nu right now.

1 Like