Poles and... Lack of direction?

Right now, they kinda work like Goths but for Cav without the extra building speed for it. They’re the strongest in Late Castle/Early Imp I suppose. I want to see them in action more. Just have seen some insane Hussite Wagon rushes but so far from Poles I’ve just seen one game with the MAA Trush opening @casusincorrabil describes.

1 Like

That’s simply not true.

I’m glad you pointed out the production speed, because this also strikes me as the difference to Goths.

https://aoestats.io/stats/RM_1v1/1650+

Just look at the “average game length”. Lategame doesn’t even have started at that timestamp in the game ;).

1 Like

We’re at 39 civs. Not every civ is going to be good at everything and be equally viable at all ages. I think that’s probably fine, otherwise all civs would have to feel and look more or less exactly the same.

4 Likes

Then if design space is so limited that civs must be unviable at later stages of the game, maybe it’s a sign that there are enough?

I don’t even think poles are the worst lategame civ. I think there are way worse in the game.

Think about aztecs, vikings and turks eg. Or cumans.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that there was (is?) a period of time where devs try to make all civs a bit more similar to each other by killing a lot of unique perks and strategies. Predictably, that is not very exciting for a portion of the playerbase. So now it’s just another phase where the devs need to flip-flop on that a bit, otherwise there is less incentive to buy the DLC if you just get Franks #2 with the DLC

1 Like

Guess we must wait and see what tweaks they’ll apply to both new civs in the future.