Poles civ identity

They can play Obuch easily as well, with the Castles being easy to get, and that goes well with ranged units. Also, on the current Arabia meta, there is a good chance of Feudal Archers, so there should be some use of ranged units in a typical game with Poles.

We have to disagree here. Szlachta Privileges is a pretty cool option in late Castle to early Imperial and makes them unique. Like @CactusSteak2171 said, every cav civ has the last armor and it’s refreshing to have something different.

Never mentioned them here, though I agree both have their design flaws in my opinion (instant army mechancis)

Except this just isn’t true. Magyars only keep up with the great civs in empire wars.
As for byzantines they only have shown promise on kotd4 arabia.

2 Likes

Why though? I mean sure indians or persians relies on heavy vil production while Teutons relies on spamming farms. With poles however you don’t need huge amount of tcs and neither do you have to spam folkwards and farms. You surely can and poles excels at that but at the same time you make like three folkwards and you gather the food incredibly fast to go imp. Because essentially you have faster food income with this bonus. Works with 1,2 or 3 tcs. As long as you can keep your farmers safe you are pretty flexible in deciding if you go for insane boom or faster to imp. Also what helps with this strat is the incentive to mine stone so it’s easier to get castle up for trebs. Done that quite a lot and works fantastically in my experience.

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks for the calculation. Now this seems balanced to me.

You cant play straight Obuch unless you… boom/overboom it out.
Obuch may have 1 more pierce armor than most Infantries, however it lacks the movement speed, so it’s slightly worse than going Castle Age Woad Raiders.

So yeah, Obuch + Skirm/Xbow, a more complex composition, nothing early Castle Age material. You’d have to 3TC it and have many Blacksmith techs (and Ballistics).

Let’s agree to disagree then regarding Magyars, as long as Aztecs, Mayans and Chinese are outpreforming all other civs by far, Magyars wont see much sun light. Being relatively weak against Eagles. (and Camels)

Byzantines are just balanced, once they fix Arabia a little bit more, they’ll be even more viable, since Skirm+Spear strats usually rely on Trush follow up, and the current Arabia isn’t ideal for Trushes (plus the big Towers nerf we had)

I would really liked if the Poles were more designed around the Winged Hussars.
There would have been the opportunity to make winged Hussars a UU and have 2 range.

It is well known the winged hussars used the longest lances. They intentionally lowered the weight to increase the length which lead to the lances shattering more often, that’s why the lances were the only part of the equipment that was provided from the state.

Some people here also claimed that winged hussars were heavy cavalry, but I think it is more fair to say they were “medium cav”. Not armored as heavily as the western counterparts, but superior in mobility and tactics.

But I think it’s now to late to correct this now, I’m quite sad about that missed opportunity.

Spamming Folwarks kills the whole idea of an economical efficiency, too much wood per actually value, you rather have some chaotic farms around the TC at this point. This bonus doesnt assist much if one wants to fast-ish Imp this with just 12-18 farmers. You better have Slavs bonus. (which also isnt great in this situation)

This bonus is simply not flexible as it could be, sadly. Celts, Vikings, Huns, Mayans, Aztecs, Turks, Saracens, Khmer all have high versatility also due to their flexible economy, great bonuses, Poles belong to the other group of eco civs, very boom oriented.

Oh it’s more than worth it to spam folwark.
The question is if it’s reasonable to expose the eco and invest so much attention in it.

Not really given their siege engineers cannons. What it’s actually weak to is better arbs than the poles player, especially from brits, ethiopians, italians, etc.