Polish and Magyars and Lithuanians

Too strong for Castle Age. This would just literally melt through almost every unit composition. I liked @MatCauthon3 idea more to change the UT to +1 for all melee cavalry units (and making the Magyar Huszar trash by default)

Bohemians get Chemistry in Castle Age, and that just gives +1 attack, no range, and yeah, CA is disabled from their tech tree – for a good reason.

Granted there is no civ with extra range but the 25% attack speed is much stronger for the mongols when talking purely damage…

we don’t have to change anything, i just don’t see how all of a sudden that would make the magyars super strong…

you can mass cav archers the second you get into feudal, if you open with archers you have ranges, you can for sure build cav archers before you have a castle,

sorry it wasn’t clear but I was also talking about the Magyar hussar, and even with a few stables that you can get faster than a castle you will out produce the castle easily, and it’s not a big deal if you loose them with a castle that is not the case.

exactly but the Winged hussar and Magyar Hussar are regional Units and Unique Units, this would not drastically change the game but only help two maybe 3 civs against heavy cav that they are more voulnerable against and boost their role of strong light cav civs

agreed that maybe the attack and range is too strong, in combination but I think there can be a more interesting Unique tech that helps light cav be a stronger buffer.

yeah pierce armour is finicky, because a lot of units can focus fire a singular unit from range. So the effect of even +1 pierce attack piles on very fast. Then the extra range on top just means unlimited micro potential.

extra range is better then pure attack speed. why do you think britons is better then ethiopians.

because their bonuses aren’t set up for them to be a cav archer civ first, they are setup for them to be a cavalry civ first.

mass cav archer in early castle age? GLWT - they lack thumb ring.

you think Lithuanians and Magyars are vulnerable to heavy cavalry?

1 Like

Paying for +1 attack for all cavalry units seems like a bit too much

Wouldnt it make more sense to just increase the base attack of the unit by one?

the point was for it to be a castle age unique tech. it fits the civs theme - they get free attack upgrades from the blacksmith as is, and their cav archers get +1 range/attack with their UT.

the buff would also help the knight-line, so it would mean slightly better than average Paladin. Which could maybe make the civ less overlooked for TG

1 Like

Ah I thought he meant that the UT would increase the attack of Magyar Huszars against cav by 1.

+1 attack for all cav is actually a solid change

nope. +1 for scouts, magyar hussars, and knight line.

1 Like

Yeah that seems good

Quite agree with it. I think a lot of players already suggested trash Magyar Huszar from the beginning. A simple suggestion was Magyar Huszar cost 90 food and Corvinian Army UT reduces the food cost by 10.

That’s only because Poles lack Plate Barding Armor. The Winged Hussar itself has no problem with that. And I think a unit that can be produced from stable is still preferable.

One - third (or one - fifth) of Malians UT but in castle age? Since I’m not a fan of overlapping bonuses, I can’t like it. Also Magyars get free attack upgrade. Extra attack is not needed imo

Mongols & Tatars are the only 2 CA civ according to game description, not even Huns. A lot of Cavalry civ has some CA bonus as well and I think Magyars is not any different from others.

That doesn’t change much. The Unit will still be pretty underwhelming compared to the Winged Hussars, you get a pretty bad deal in comparison to an easily spammable stable unit. I still think Mat’s solution is the best so far.

except the Malians unique tech requires imp, and they lose blast furnace for it. this would give them something to make them more appealing overall because irght now magyars are largely ignored.

that’s a weak unique tech imho. weaker then the current one.

but they don’t get EXTRA attack, they just get the attack upgrades for free - which has a limited time bonus, unlike say Malians. because once other civs have attack upgrades researched your bonus is gone. thjs way they get something more long term too.

True.

Maybe.

Right now I personally don’t find a single reason to pick Magyars in TG. Wanna play scouts → knights → paladin, there is not a single one better than Franks. Wanna play CA, go Huns or even Tatars.

Pretty much exactly what I said.

True but in Imp I think that extra attack remains for a very long time. BF gives 2 attack and you always take armor first which gives 1MA. So Magyars get 1 extra attack for a while. AlsoMalians lacks both Paladin and Hussar. Magyars have both. Magyars paladin will have exact same attack as Malians Cavalier but +40 HP and +1 Pa. Just to be clear I don’t like it because of overlapping.

Thanks to your proposal, I got a new idea very similar to yours. Cavalry +x attack bonus vs cavalry. Maybe scout line excluded as they already have good discounted scouts. We don’t have a single anti cavalry cavalry, not even an UU. All are camels and camels are not cavalry, they don’t even share the same armor class any more.

know what Malians have that Magyars don’t though? a great eco bonus and reliable siege. and i am sorry, but Light cav with +3 extra attack is better then generic hussar.

Magyars one is not generic after considering the discount. Anyway I don’t think you can convince me to like this bonus. Sorry about that.

This statement will not change. Just my personal preference.

Also I think devs are trying their best to avoid overlapping, even still now. Cysion in his interview with Ornlu said that they tried their best to find unique bonuses for DOTD civs. The only one slightly overlaps is Sanctity and Fervor affects villagers with Berbers speed.

generic stats though - malian light cav will beat them head to head any day.

that’s fine, but just an fyi +1 attack is still far better then reducing food cost by 10.

Yeah I guess.

The new Cumans bonus would be great for Magyars. I’d love to have that reducing or maybe even replacing their scout discount.

Yeah, so I think Mat’s idea could make the civ more appealing for TG. Having slightly better Paladins + the flexibility to go FU Arb/FU HCA if needed should hopefully make some people even consider the civ. Tbf my main concern is still just the fact the Magyar Huszar now really fell behind the Winged Hussars.