Poll about which area of the world the playerbase wants more civs from

Then why did we got an African/South East Asian expansion pack lots of people were excited about?
I don’t know, but I’ve seen a lot of civ requests which actually do not want anymore European civs but rather something else, indicating a certain fatigue on that regard.

1 Like

Given the current civ list, that’s including african and asian dlc ones, the additional ones shall be european, that’s what this poll, and current trend suggest

1 Like

With 72 votes, it’s hardly statistically relevant, considering the total player base of AOE2 player consists of millions of people.

1 Like

The same could be said of the few albeit vocal proponents of other region civs in this forum

5 Likes

True, true, I agree on that :smiley:

Anyway, I just hope we’ll get more non Euro civs. Africa and India needs more love and a few more American civs would be definitely nice.

4 Likes

LOL no.

The last 9 civs should be actually long lasting powerful states and not just other kingdoms some Europeans are sad isnt totally represented despite having a better representation than most of Asia (not even going to mention the practically non existent African representation with just a Sahel civ, an eastern African civ and a northern African civ despite the continent having a larger variety than Europe). If Saracens were European people would be asking for them having two to four civs

2 Likes

Tbh your poll who has far more people involved so I would consider it far more accurate

1 Like

Also I dont think we are few, I would say most people are bored of Europe

2 Likes

let me guess you are an European/American? AND games are made by European/American. On top of that games are marketed towards European/American audience mostly. So Eurocentric bias is bound to be seen. Can’t blame them since here in South Asia/Africa/Middle East doesn’t have much big market for gaming yet and all of them just happy playing free mobile games like PUBG, Free Fire, etc.
Me, as a historical enthusiastic wants to see other region. I want to see a whole series/movie/game about Tamerlane who himself got fairly amount historical record. AOE2 summarizes the conflict in short but if it went to detail it’d have been nearly 20 scenario. You have Tamerlane’s early life with cattle stealing, internal conflicts, rising to power then fight vs Delhi Sultanate, Ottomans, Mameluke, Russia, Golden Horde, Georgia. All of them will take soo long to cover.
Point is there are actually more than enough materials to talk about. To collect those materials European/American gamedevs have to go into these region and find these records which isn’t possible given to their location they live in and as a result they have to work with the records that they have closeby. So as a result you see weird design choices like Indians in AOE2 just being an umbrella and focused on Camel which clearly isn’t the case.

2 Likes

You could vote multiple in that poll if im not mistaken.

Correct majority is most of the time silent.

3 Likes

I agree with you on that. I also want to see more diversity, as a history enthusiast.
But the required material to create european new civs being so simple to gather whereas it requires much expertise and much effort to do the same un other regions, along with the appetence of the player base for european civs (let’s face it, most will buy successive european dlc, even if they never get outside Europe, even if individually they advocate for other region civs), the probability to see Aragonese, Venitians, Georgians, … is far greater

3 Likes

You can choose to disregard the poll but then we would be talking about an opinion (yours ), and not any reflection of the majority ( which as it has been said is almost always silent )

1 Like

You could vote on several options yes, because most people don’t want civs from one region only.

1 Like

Then it would be more votes not really more voters.Then the data could be misinterpreted as well.
Lets not forget some people seems to have multiple accounts just to vote.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you get vote manipulation from considering that the votes are public. The poll also clearly indicates the amount of voters, not only the votes. You could argue the same here. Who would create 10 different accounts for a civ poll the devs might not even consider? Even if they’d consider it, you could check via the IP address and I doubt most Forum users have more than two electronic devices.

1 Like

I now europe is popular, I am just surprised how it is such a forerunner after the past two dlc. I was thinking central asia or africa would be higher up on desired dlc. Im down for a large water expansion and then a good bit of pacific island civs. They could make for some entertaining campaigns.

I would like to see Serbians and Argentinians added to the game mostly because they represent the top-level playerbase also and I feel that’s needed at this point.

2 Likes

Argentinians?
There was no Argentina.

4 Likes

I feel that there are two groups. People who want only European civilizations and people who want non-European civilizations.

I would welcome Serbians, Armenians, Georgians and even Vlachs, but now it is time for Indian, African and East Asian DLC-s. I don’t really want American civs. They don’t fit Age of Empires. The only expectations are the Chimu and the Purepechas.

6 Likes

I choose to disregard the poll because I feel the other is more accurate because:
a. It divides Europe and even gives the option of “no more civs” which is an option wheter I like the option
b. Gives you the posibility of voting multiple options which is more accurate for future DLCs
c. Has more people who voted on it

My opinion of most people being bored of Europe comes mostly from Reddit tbh so you may disagree. Its honestly a bit divided beetwen people that want more and people that dont so its not a big diference.

2 Likes