[Poll] Its all about the medieval walls

What do you exactly mean with “the root of all the flaws in game”?
Let me guess it’s the playability and readability that changed the game so much that you don’t like it?

with te new siege mechanics (being build by unis) I hink thats fine. Like in real life, infantry didnt just smash swords or even torches against walls, they build rams :wink:

1 Like

yes buildings are small so the units are big
player colours are all over unit uniforms for readability
ui is not traditional because it has it has nothing to with competitiveness etc

one thig to note i am not against the game at all i just am tired of this “readability” word in all these threads

The stronghold was a boring medieval city builder, in opposite AOE2 was RTS with good game play. Adding meta that slowdown gameplay, not a great game design.

dont know about the “was” part but now it is much much better you can see the difference by watching gameplay clips on youtube as well

Pickaxes aren’t going to get you through that thick wall, shovels would be better.

Yeaaah, so boring that it is one of the biggest RTS franchises to date

I gave multiple reasons why it wouldn’t slow down gameplay, only enhance it

I mean, Stronghold (or at least the games I played) also allows units to break down stone walls, it’s just slow enough that you probably want a siege weapon along if you want to get through a defended section - which is pretty much what it’s like in AoE2 already. The way I see it, if you want to save some money you can just use infantry, while you can build siege weapons if there’s more defenses around or you need to break through quickly for whatever reason.

1 Like

Having walls attackable only by siege is a quick way to kill them game.

2 Likes

You end up losing money as the infantry just get picked off by archers

Do you ever see units in AoE2 attacking stone or fortified walls? Has that game been killed off?

If you think walls are fine in aoe2, then you never played anything other than vs AI.

This is exactly more of an act of desperation than a correct strategy.

Quickwalling in form of incomplete wall parts is of course a completely different matter, but you don’t really know how it is solved in AoE4 …

@Moonshadow7475 when was the last time you saw a pro player build an actual wall made of stone around his base? Just a question. Either way, whether you think it is fine is not the point, the point is, is the game dead? Because you NEVER see units attacking a stone wall unless the player is a complete noob. The difference in AoE4 would just be the having the option or not. Just because the option isn’t there, people start complaining?

I think walls will take longer to build I think because of the size of them. Probably cost more as well. Stronger. Just my thoughts though

1 Like

And you don’t see a problem with that?

To define the whole thing a little more … we are in a middle age game and not at command & conquer.
Why the hell does everything have to go fast, there are really enough RTS games that you could play.
That’s the biggest problem this genre has because it’s always about speed instead of strategy.

The people with money also typically have jobs so they don’t want to duke it out for hours.

I’m sorry, what games are you playing that take hours? The average length for a game is less than an hour, closer to half an hour or less

No. Units shouldn’t be tearing down stone walls with, siege should

Units also shouldn’t tear down buildings, by your logic.

They aren’t tearing down buildings they are burning them down.

What’s to prevent them from burning the walls as well?