[Poll] Population Limit

Tower elephant?

Um, no, it will most likely be a very expensive unit, if you noticed there are barely any compared to the amounts of other units

3 Likes

Its like AoE2 now. Some civs have much more power units that others (etc elephants) but there are counters like monks etc. Also if you create expensive units it is hard to reach pop limit cap.

Example. In AoE2DE the Malay have as a unique unit the Karambit Warriors. Very week - very cheap. They swarm the opponent.

3 Likes

If in game trade and other late game mechanics(like devs said they are Focusing on it) are good then itā€™ll be OP.

2 Likes

Even Ships have less HP then Elephants

And Counter this kind of tanky unit with pikeman or Spearman like this

Just imagine if it costs one pop space and other players are doomed.

1 Like

No because you wonā€™t want to have your entire army consist of one unit just because it has high hp. You will be mixing unit=less elephants, plus you will need to pay for siege=less elephants. Catch my drift?

Ships also have different mechanics and armor and attack values than elephants

For all we know units could have bonuses vs other units, which means spears could very well be strong vs elephants. Not to mention they are probably vastly cheaper so you can outmass the elephants

No, players arenā€™t doomed, if you had played games other than AoE3 you would know this

3 Likes

AoE3 is also very balance game. I have seen 2 videos in YouTube that was putting tier into AoE3DE civs. (Tiers A,B,C,D,E)

The one was using only Tiers A,B,C for all the civs, practically saying that there is not any civ that has really problems with others, and the other Tiers A,B,C,D.

Yes there are some civs that are better than others at least if you see statistics. For example the france in AoE2DE is something similar. But AoE3DE is also very balance and diverse a lot, and this shows that AoE4 logically will be also a very balanced game.

2 Likes

That UI breaks my soul.

3 Likes

In AoE3 each unit does not has the same population and yes elephants takes a lot more. But from the other site, in AoE4, there are limitations not only to units but to buildings also (castles, towers etc). In AoE2 for example (also in 4 logically) a civ with weaker units will be able to spend the resources to defense structures etc while the opponent is spending them to elephants.

PS: Why wait the opponent to pop cap his elephants? It is sure not the best strategy. And yes, some strategies needs to be punished. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A lot of people who voted in this poll are incredibly conservative with maximum pop cap. I mean, sure, we are used to the classic 200 limit, and have played that way for yearsā€¦ but this is a new game with new possibilities, are you really not considering to play with 300 or 400, for example?

One thing is competitive multiplayer, where I can get it more, but in single player Iā€™m so hyped for setting a 500 pop cap per player and unleash an epic medieval battle.

2 Likes

In SP I hope their is infinite pop like in AoE2. A Helms Deep scenario where you are outnumbered and desperately try to hold the walls would be epic

Ok meat shield and bonuses will be good. But i still think Unit with 2000+ hp costing just 1 pop space Will be OP Or broken. And not everybody that good in micromanaging. Some are good some are wrost. Some times people with micromanaging longbows becomes so annoying.

I am confused by your statement that the people voting are being conservative ā€œwith maximum pop cap.ā€ I answered the poll, but I was not asked about my opinion about the maximum pop cap. I donā€™t care what the maximum pop cap is ā€“ it can be as high as the highest number somebody wants.

But this poll asked us ā€œWhat population limit do you think youā€™ll usually play with?ā€

My answer to that is 200. I will usually play with a population limit of 200. I have played with all sorts of pop caps in Age games and find that 200 is the sweet spot. But that has nothing to do with whether I would be willing to consider playing with more. Of course I would consider that. I dont think it is better for me than 200, but I will play anything I suppose.

2 Likes

You draw conclusions without knowing the cost of the unit, or whether he has upgrades that get him that 2k hp? Wowā€¦

No more confused than myself with your answer. If people thinks that will usually play with 200 pop cap, it means they like it the most or they are comfortable with it, always based on prior AoE experiences (since at least most of us have not touched AoE IV yet). It has nothing to do with the maximum pop cap available in the game, of course, but the max pop cap they are usually going to set for their games.

200 has been the classic pop cap for a lot of years, since The Age of Kings in 1999 to The Forgotten Empires in 2012 (I think it came out that year as an unofficial expansion?). So thatā€™s about 13 years (AoE III included) with the same maximum available pop cap.

I always wonder what would have happened if the maximum pop cap for the Age of Kings would have been 250 instead of 200. I would bet that now people would be used to 250 pop cap, and would feel comfortable with that. Thatā€™s why I think people thinking they will usually play with 200 (as almost always since AoE exists) itā€™s conservative, but of course Iā€™m not saying it as some sort of attack or something.

Itā€™s just Iā€™m kinda surprised that much people donā€™t think they will definitely go play usually with a higher pop cap, since AoE IV is a whole new game, and looks like a pretty different experience with more possibilities and a probable spectacular big scale. Iā€™m just as surprised with the third most voted option being ā€œunlimitedā€, though.

Actually most people play with 300 or higher Iā€™ve noticed, whether they be singleplayer or unranked lobbies. 200 is just the standard for ranked
Besides, if you add up all the other options it is really close

1 Like

Elephants will be OP. Adam Isegreen loves them. He decided to put them in the game even before deciding which civs would be on it. It was a must-be, he already told that before.

2 Likes

AoM and AoEO have preset defaults for ranked pvp matching. Like so many players, Iā€™ll play whatever the default is.

1 Like

Yes devlopers didnā€™t reveled much details about bonuses ,Counters & costs to make any conclusion. Iā€™m just guessing a possibility. Iā€™m just trying to say game should be fair with players who are not that Da*n good at micromanaging.

Again, you canā€™t tell if the unit will be OP just by looking at his stats. By looking at stats, Persian war elephants should totally be OP but they arenā€™t because theyā€™re so slow and they cost a fortune

1 Like

Doesnā€™t that grant a significant advantage for a person having a better computer ?