Poll: should more automatic functions be added

Implying that Auto-queue has the same weight as any automation feature also does.

1 Like

Okay, but you have to admit, old era 3d graphics don’t hold up as well as the 2d graphics of Age of Empires.

Although, considering how ugly Star Wars Battleground is, maybe we just got lucky.

The problem was that the 3D at that time was ugly because the PC’s didn’t have the power to render tons of complex models with good lighting as we do now, so models in AoM had to be very “blocky”.

Even average 2D graphics like AoK had will still be better than bad 3D ones.

Even AoE3 had some ugly models because performance is needed.

AoE4 will be interesting, considering that we now have the tech to make a good-looking 3D RTS with good performance.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I don’t want to call out all 3d graphics. Homeworld looked great at the time, because blocky was fine with giant starships, but we just didn’t have the power back then.

If Age of Mythology was made today, I would totally be on board. I love how it captured the ability to make important choices when you aged up, with Minor Gods. It gave you game a lot more character, without being cluttered as I feel Age of Empires 3 is with their card system.

But you are totally right.

1 Like

I can barely wait for them to make a DE lol.
I love all AoE games, but I love AoM 1% more than the others :grinning:

1 Like

You just vote. You want are open to evalute lore automatic things. It’s not that hard to understand the poll. Either you’re open to change the core of the game or not.

If you take stuff like auto-explore as a change to the core of the game then it’s safe to say that the core of the game it’s been changed since the arrival of the first expansion.

And I honestly can’t understand why you care so much if you don’t even play the game.

1 Like

As noted Youtuber Brownbear says about Age of Mythology and Auto Queueing, at the 17:53 mark of his youtube clip.

“Autoqueue goes beyond simplifying the user interface. Quality of life features have the potential to completely change how a game is played and make otherwise hidden problems suddenly super visible”

I love how being made aware of problems is somehow a worse then the problems themselves.

1 Like

There’s another aspect to be considered. Every time I see polls or topics about automatic festures, I see most answers are “it would ruin competitive games”, “you must learn to play” and so on, like this is a sport and not simply a game, in which a player should firstly have fun. Obviously, in “sport-like” matches, automation should be kept at a minimum, because you are actually competing, but it’s not always like this.

2 Likes

LordPatito8258
I have created a post to propose an idea on the subject, at the following link.

Solution to Automatic Queue Function, both parties will like it.

Yorok0

SmallestChart82

Yeah sorry man but unless auto queue features have clear downsides those of us against it aren’t going to be happy.

I proposed it for the time of the castles, consider that you have 3 “urban centers”, you must produce 9 villagers every minute, that is, 12 clicks, adding that you have to produce the military units at the same time in several barracks, then I proposed to produce units military automatically in era IV.

I proposed it for the time of the castles, consider that you have 3 “urban centers”, you must produce 9 villagers every minute, that is, 12 clicks, adding that you have to produce the military units at the same time in several barracks, then I proposed to produce units military automatically in era IV.

Continuing the discussion from Poll: should more automatic functions be added:

Your poll is too broad. Don’t lump auto-reseed and auto-scout into auto queue units or auto unit actions.

Currently the answer eludes to more functions aside from auto reseed and auto scout and alludes to, say more automatic functions beyond quality of life features.
Like auto queuing villagers, and auto queueing military units from wherever - these types of features would be too much and I would say no to. However towards your question I answer yes that the current features that have been added are good for the game and that for future feature additions to be considered carefully.

However. I did not vote because the premise of the poll is unclear as to what your reasons are in the wording.

Currently the poll is skewed towards whether or not auto-type functions are good or not, and they are good in the context of quality of life features. But not good in the sense of adding, say, auto queuing military units.

On second thought - having town centers automatically queue 1 villager after another would be a nice quality of life feature, but military units are a no-go.

We don’t need more features to have more features, we only need what is carefully considered to be a boon to the playerbase.

I think this is a very comlicated theme.
I think that atm especially for “slower” players the eco and ressource optimation takes too much “attention economics”, but for faster players it’s an important part of the “macro” decisiont to take. It’s still a “difference maker” at the highest level of play.
Personally I think to make the game more interesting for new players it would be benefitial to reduce the “obligatory” actions, but this at the same time would indirectly punish all players who over the years learned their best way to economically split their attention. So it’s absolutely understandable if they are against it. They invested so much time to have good macro and then it’s useless again?
I think we need some kind of “compromise” like if you use such things like autoqueue or whatever you lose efficiency (increased trainig time or slightly higher unit cost). I think this way it would somwhat balance and even encourage players to get better at their macro play for higher efficiency.

What do you think about that concept?

1 Like

It’s decent enough, but I don’t believe hitting the cost of the unit nor the training time is the way to go - in my opinion, players would have to know when to toggle it off, all that hard work on eco macro won’t be wasted and knowing when to idle or start a research are key points as well as when to add food fron boar early so the villagers can steadily be created.