Perhaps only a timely DLC (with a bit of balancing + bug squashing) could revive an RTS that generated so much hope and expectation after years of waiting. Yes, it can be revived. Let’s be positive.
Even more than for AoE II and III, AoE IV DLCs must have a solid theme, because of the deep, asymmetric civ concept (regardless of how well this concept has been actualized so far). A compelling historical context.
So what DLCs make sense + are possible in reality? This poll is the result of a meticulous study and investigation, it’s meant to be the only realistic DLC poll so far.
You can vote for up to 5 DLCs.
I’d like to thank each one of you for reading and participating.
- Empires of India: Chola Empire & Vijaynagar
- Crossroads of the World: Persians & Seljuk Empire
- The Reconquista: Spanish vs the Moors
- Battle of Empires: Byzantines + Italian States vs Ottoman Empire
- Ends of the World: Japanese & Mali Empire
- Distant Worlds: Spanish Empire vs Inca Empire
- Southeast Kingdoms: Khmer & Dai Viet / Vietnamese
- Clash of Titans & End of an Era: Roman Empire vs Ottoman Empire
- Powers of Africa: Mali Empire & Ethiopians
- The New World: Inca Empire & Aztec Empire
- Fortress of Europe: Hungary + Bulgaria vs Ottoman Empire
- Eternal Civilizations: Persians & Indians
- The Northern Forces: Poland-Lithuania & the Norse
- Clash of Giants: Ottoman Empire vs Persian Empire
- The Crusades: Fatimid Dynasty, Seljuk Empire & Crusader States
- Adventurers on Sea and Desert: Portugal & Mali Empire
- Where the Sun Rises: Japanese & Goryeo / Korea
- Superpower: Ottoman Empire vs all-Europe + Persia + Mamluks
Important investigation notes:
1- both Hungary and Bulgaria were included in “Fortress of Europe” as they were long considered some of the strongest armies in Europe in medieval centuries
2- “Dai Viet” was chosen to represent the Vietnamese states as it was the most long-lasting state (corrected)
3- “Spanish” is so referred in the Reconquista because the Spanish Kingdom was still under construction
4- “Mali Empire” also represents Songhai Empire and is referred as the other “End of the World”, opposite Japan, because it’s the westernmost medieval empire
5- “Ottoman Empire” includes its predecessors, the Seljuk Empire and the Sultanate of Rum
6- it was decided to consider “Norse” as a DLC civ instead of “Kingdom of Denmark” for wider representation
7- “Byzantines” could also be called the “Byzantine Empire” or the “Roman Empire”
8- Portugal added in this version of the poll, as part of “Adventurers on Sea and Desert” with Mali (new)
9- Korea is now called by it’s historical name, “Goryeo”, while Japan is named generic “Japanese” as it wasn’t a unified state most of the time