[Poll] What update do you want to see most?

It’s what a small part of the community does not want, right? Not everybody uses the forum. And I dont think balance and bugfixing are as simple as doing some silly/funny mods and avatars.

2 Likes

I’m really not sure why those silly monthly events are annoying players. There’s very low resources spent on them, likely not the same as spent on other things, and usually skins that are easy to replace too; and skins you can completely ignore on top of not having to see them from other players, so whether you use them or not is completely personal.

Sometimes, the skins are fun. Some probably enjoy the more wacky ones, some likely enjoy the more realistic skins, some don’t at all. I know I use several of them all the time (relic marker, main menu, gunpowder tracers, larger onager shots), and many of those are them making official versions of community mods that have been extremely popular.

Giving something optional for players to do is not a bad thing, and they do find a use. Maybe you don’t care about avatars, but I have with several of them.

I can agree to when having to pick and choose between these events and actual content, having these events is really low priority, they’re not even comparable. That’s why this poll is so flawed. You’re never going to get people voting for the avatars/skin mods when you have other options such as *literally a new #### available.

But it’s something you can entirely ignore and forget about, so I really don’t understand the problem. Do you think if those events were to stop, you’d magically have a new balance patch every week instead?

3 Likes

That’s what it comes down to for a lot of people, and why they find many of the event mods annoying - not that they make the game worse by any means, but that they represent a prioritization of flair over function that a lot of people find questionable at best. This was my stance particularly when the Scenario Editor was broken beyond usability for about 4 months this year. It’s true that some of them are quite low-investment, but others like the Xolotl-at-Arms (which I find very cool, but don’t use) are high-enough investment that they might as well have just made it an Editor unit, which would have much broader utility.

In general I don’t think the devs should be much involved in the business of making mods as opposed to permanent content (more unique Castles/regional monks or more Editor units). Profile unlocks are fine, but beyond that, I don’t really see any of the graphical/sound mods as really adding anything to the game. It seems more like one of those things that is a much better fit for other types of games than for AoE2, but the devs decided to prioritize it to please the crowd that needs to see all kinds of silly, transient novelty in order to feel that the game “is being worked on,” or something like that.

IMO the events are ~fine-ish, but should be less frequent, and the graphics team should be freed up to work on more permanent and less silly stuff. Even the graphics additions that I like (Dark Knight, Xolotl-at-Arms) are not very worthwhile to me as mods, but would be way cool as new Editor units.

6 Likes

+1 to this. word limit.

3 Likes

An Official API and page like aoe2.net

2 Likes

This one is really necessary that almost all service relied on aoe2.net are broken except aoe2 insight

2 Likes

Seeing only 26% voted for team balance elo ranked fix made me upset

Which was also broken at first, until they managed to fix it somehow.

2 Likes

Yes as a team game only player usually can feel the community are full of solo player which makes me feel like a minority group

it is actually pretty good with the recently update function which can “replay” the game in website

That update has been there before AoE2net went down. I’ve been using it to analyse my own games for few months now. But my point was that aoe2 insights website was also down (though I think that was due to aoenexus or something, which might’ve been the result of aoe2 net. I remember unranked games not being tracked there at least, which I attributed to aoe2net being down).

1 Like

I really want a lot more scenario editor resources (unit/building skins, etc) to make it easier to mod (alter or create civs) and make custom maps/campaigns.

Honestly this is just because I had an idea for a mod that adds a few civs but I have 0 modelling skills.

2 Likes

The developer has been for region spy assassin diplomat and Inquisitor only for Italy pope Unit model Joining the game 's