[Polls] On regards to new civs

Sicilian Castle.
New civs might not have new architecture set, but their castles are unique.
20201224_174338
Edit: bonus: Burgundian castle
20201224_174529

6 Likes

Those could be just scenario editor buildings.its kinda odd just to have different castles when everything else looks the same.

South asia wins by landslide

that’s not a landslide. its got a whole extra 4 votes on a poll with 53 voters where you can vote as many options as you want.

1 Like

its a joke lol… still wins tho

1 Like

100% agree.

Polynesians could be interesting as a naval civ but still isn’t accurate in terms of getting war galleys and stuff, let alone stable units. I think the architecture set would be cool to look at, but you are probably right they don’t belong in the game

The game is already nonhistorical enough, it’s either going to add top many “banana Civs” as you put it and become a meme, or actually add some more interesting nations that have actual history to back up their tech tree and bonuses.

It’s funny how it started as Age of Empires, and now it feels more like Age of Kingdoms or Duchies lol. There are a whole slew of European factions they can add now that they’ve opened that door with the Sicilians and Burgundian who were more regional/smaller kingdoms

2 Likes

Current meso civis are not accurate too so having a sea based meso civi for polynesians is fine.

4 Likes

@Hvscarl - Thank you, thank you. This is what sums up my worries about the game. You nailed it with this sentence!
Of course, we can balance any type of civ combination, even if there are 100, but at what cost? I want to preserve this brilliant game and its unique atmosphere.

Kingdoms were never a problem to me. Some kingdoms were bigger than true empires. However the duchy thing worries me too. We could see Thuringians, Orleans or other nonsensical civs in the game…

3 Likes

With cumans and huns added you can match any tribal peoples to this game which might be worse than kingdoms.

1 Like

I think the most unrepresented are some of the Finno-Ugric tribes. Ever play a game of Crusader Kings II? They are all over North-eastern Europe before the Mongol invasions. I feel like they deserve a civ for sure.

But yeah when you start chopping up nation-states into regional things it starts to get silly. Only exception I would want is the Saxons only because they left Germany and went to Britain LOL

1 Like

What do you mean here? Magyars are Finno-Ugric. Do you want Estonians or Finns? North European Duchies?

3 Likes

This depends on how you define Eastern, Central, Western whatever. For me, Eastern Europe is Bohemia and east (not including Germany). To the left of Bohemia is Western Europe. No central for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Teutons (the civ) were upper Germany, above Bohemia. It is perhaps just their unique unit that represents the Teutonic Order.

1 Like

My theory is that Sicilians and Italians will share the new castle skin, same as Franks and Burgundians

2 Likes

Central: Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czechia, Slovakia, Poland and Hungary

I understand we likely do not agree on that but historically, geographically and culturally these lands were very interconnected so they are very different from Eastern European countries like Ukraine, Belarus, Russia. Some of the central european countries had French or German rulers (either elected or imposed by force), none of the eastern countries had similar experience.

The same reasoning is usually applied for Finland when Scandinavia is considered.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

While I’m happy that the developers dicided to revisit Western Europe with some new style civilizations (total number of civs doesn’t say everything) my preferrence will probably always be civilizations with access to alternative cavalry, or at least a good scout line bonus. So Northern or Western Africa, Middle East (camels), Central Asia (steppe lancers, camels), Southeast Asia (elephants) or South Asia/India (elephants, camels) would work just fine for me, independent of any thoughts on representation or balance. But say North American civs with a new type of light cavalry archer or something would suit me just fine as well. (Also throwing East Africa and East Europe into the poll for cavalry potential.) Civs with alternative ship types (Oceania, America’s) could make me happy as well.

2 Likes

I just love the idea of Sicillians.

Their castles are pieces of art.

And on top of that I like infantry…

Just give us Sicillians already or I ll tell the DON!!! :smiling_imp: :smile:

1 Like

Oh a dare you show this map to smbd from Slovenia 11

We need more from Europe

Yesss, these too, told ya, we need more from Europe.

NO. Sicilians and Burgundians, as well as many other duchies were Powerful and Independent therefore totally deserve to be seperate civilizations.

Don’t listen to me on this. Listen to this very knowledgeable guy.

You see? Burgundy and Sicily were Powerful and Independent and didn’t have any civilization already covering them. Same with the Catalans and Aragonese, and many other Powerful kingdoms.
Catalans and Aragonese coming next ofcourse!

1 Like