[Polls] With regards to new civs II

That is exactly my point. The fragment of my comment you quoted is followed by:

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. That phrase was difficult to word, and I think I didn’t do it correctly.

It made sense to me. I guess he did not put it together that you were saying they really did nothing important enough

100%. Unfortunately some repeatedly scream for every single modern country to be represented disregarding its importance or development in the Middle Ages.

1 Like

And that is what this game should be about, the Middle Ages, not the modern day. I try to argue this a lot with things like the Dutch proposals; they were the Frisians for a good majority of this timeframe, how do you justify adding them but not paying homage to the literal culture they spawned from, that had a significant regional presence in the early period???

1 Like

Very wise. Glad to see you moved past posts like these then:

And past figuring South Asia doesn’t warrant multiple civilizations because of how it looks on a map today.

6 Likes

Funnily enough, despite everyone having a tendency to see South Asia as one single country for some reason, you could tie each of its civs to a different modern day country. Gurjaras would be the most tied to modern India, Hindustanis would be Pakistan because of the importance of Islam in this country/civ (despite the empires it represents having mostly being centered around northern India), Bengali would obviously be Bengladesh (despite western Bengal being in India) and Dravidians would be Sri Lanka because of the strong Tamil presence on this island (even though they share it with Sinhalese and most Dravidian people live in Southern India).

6 Likes

Tamil population is around 20% including all the people who were brought down during the colonial era,that is not a strong presence.bengals would be the colosest to the Sinhalese the majority people living in Sri Lanka.

1 Like

Sure, this is why I voted for Africa! No need for global representation of the Caucasus, for example. :wink:

3 Likes

Same could be said about African civis too.

Caucuses region is surrounded by other in-game civis so it’s easier to tell a story about them.

4 Likes

If so then no representation of Oceania or American tribes a fortiori.

Oceania and North America are two very different areas though. Oceania never really had much of a population, let alone large wars. Maaaaaybe the Māori count as some sort of noteworthy.

The America’s as a whole were in most ways behind on Afro-Eurasia, but they had some pretty decent civilizations going before the smallpox-plague apocalypse.

I’m not enough of a historian to pinpoint which civilizations were the most impressive (the Iroquois/Haudenosaunee for example put up one of the best showings after the arrival of the Europeans, but both the aoe2 timeframs and the aforementioned apocalypse make the parts before it at least equally important), how they compare with candidate civs like the Somali, Swahili, Jurchen, Tibetans and those other names often thrown around the forum or what kind of units and bonuses they would have, but the big picture is there was more going on than early stone age tribes on an endless plain.

3 Likes

Maybe they can tell stories about them once they get added, besides you’ve the explorer connections if needed, Portugal and Benin for example. Dumb point!

1 Like

Care to explain? …

These polls prove you should never listen to the average player. How to destroy a classic game.

1 Like

And the age purist had to appear to say the generic aoe2 purist comment that doesnt make any sense to just ■■■■ over the rest of the playerbase.

“This is it, the game is RUINED now!”

• AoE2 Purist, been repeating the same the last 23 years
6 Likes

@TungstenBoar Maybe, I don’t understand much about this part (more time in editor making maps and triggers than in the game).

@AlphaCreator727 But isn’t that what everyone complains about? The gimmicks

Would an archer with the mechanics of the Obuch be really bad?

Imagine if you then paired it with Obuch. :joy:

If the civ had even half decent archer line prob would be too OP

And it would be another proof for the lack of ideas in civ design. Just as the Wootz steel tech is which is basically a copy of Leitis removing the horse.