Potential Roman Civ Addition Poll and Discussion

You’re right sir. My bad. Mixed up my HRE and ERE. You’re right, Byzantines (or eastern Roman Empire) are direct off shoots, not the HRE. I could therefore be interested in seeing eastern Rome in the game, but rome classic is too outdated.

Eastern Rome is literally the Byzantines

3 Likes

Yes sir you are correct.

Colosseum :joy:

20 characters.

*Poll

We have several mesoamerican civs with no gunpowder in the game. As for your statement about history, hand to hand and gunpowder, it’s an extreme simplification. Firearms even in the latest times of AoE2’s time period were too expensive to be used massively and to slow to recharge to compeletely outmatch all other types of warfare. You have to wait until the 18th century to see bows and arrows being completely abandoned in most countries, and cavalry sabers were still in use in the 19th century, including in the US army.

1 Like

Not to mention they’d backfire literally in your face or at your friend. Crossbows were still way more effective and reliable.

Take the byzantines change the wonder change the uu skin to centurion and we have old rome.

A trigger that starts a Wonder counter would be cool, btw.
Now you can make vills build Coloseums but that won’t start a wonder counter :frowning:

Edit: a ‘countdown to victory’ trigger has the same effect as a Wonder counter BUT the GUI’s of those both counters are different

The game literally has 2 campaigns involving Dark Ages civs, the Huns even got dispersed long before Rome’s Eastern counterpart fell.

Whoops. Sorry I’m new here, thought I was on an Age 4 thread. I’m not too familiar with Age 2 so I’ll take your word for it. I’m not sure how they balanced in game (you mentioned gun troops are expensive), but irl I don’t think any artillery army would be threatened by Western Rome. It’s true that swords weren’t abandoned until self loading rifles were mainstream due to their long reload times, but they were fired in volleys back then. Line by line to ensure nearer on consistent rates of fire than if one had to reload each time without interim shooting. You’re right though, it’s not the be all and end all, but it certainly places a huge advantage in the hands of those who have access.

We already have both in the editor. If I remember correctly, Centurion and Cataphract used to look 90% similar back in HD. Cata got a reskin in DE and now different from Centurion.

1 Like

I also would’ve liked to have added “No, because I don’t want them to waste a civ slot a different civ could’ve added.” Totally agree though, wish I could go back and change the poll without resetting all the results.

1 Like

Btw, It’s quite funny how the comments are filled with people disliking Romans added in the game, while the poll are now shifting in favor of Romans added in AoE 2

Standard symptom of the internet. People that are happy rarely speak about it, as they are satisfied. But people that are unhappy speak up to try and change things or vent.

8 Likes

I created the poll simply because I was curious as to what people’s thoughts on the addition were, not because I think this would change the devs’ minds one way or another. I also wanted to have a place to have a discussion about it.

3 Likes

I agree, I was just quoting from the poll.

I think most people say “early medieval” nowadays. “Dark Ages” is old-fashioned and kind of frowned upon as I understand it.

2 Likes

Having Romans and Byzantines would be like having the Age of Empries 2 French and Age of Empires 3 French in the same game.

2 Likes

Classical Rome is out of the time period of AoE2 and Late Antiquity/Medieval Rome is already in the game (Byzantines)

3 Likes

No, because there’s ENOUGH civilizations to represent Italy.

2 Likes

Some peoples they wanted Venetians civ (also Apennine Peninsula).
Some peoples they wanted Romanians civ (similar name).

Instead of this two interesting civs good for Medieval period, we all get too Ancient Romans…

4 Likes