Profanity Filter -> Optional

My name is censored too for online matches. It’s sad how they’re so concerned about someones feelings getting hurt or being offended when there’s other things going on that need to be addressed with this game. I can honestly say I wont buy Age of Empires 4 due to how politically correct this game is, or any other Microsoft game for that matter. They sealed their deal with me on any of their products for the future. There’s a reason I have a Play Station sitting in my house and not using a Microsoft X Box 1.

1 Like

You think that’s bad? Imagine having TWO players with morse code names ** **** * in your team and trying to communicate ! maybe they should drop names altogether and just call ourselves blue,red,green,yellow…etc

3 Likes

Just making my opinion heard here. This new profanity filter is ridiculous, please have it removed or at least optional. Most of us are well into adulthood and we don’t want this game to be adapted to 11 year olds. This is part of how Runescape slowly destroyed itself back in 2007-2012.

Cheers,
Bad

8 Likes

seriously??? i cant even make a ffa lobby? for the love of god, listen to the community. nobody except 5 people wanted such a filter implemented and if anything, it is heavily reducing the quality of the game. i also had another occasion today where i couldnt say “dutch(lithuanians)”. typing something is like a coin flip at this point, whether my teammates will receive it or get ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

the entire community is calling for either a complete removal of this “”“feature”"", or making it optional and heavily reducing the amount of words it filters. when will the devs listen?

7 Likes

well
‘ffa 9x’ clearly stands for “■■■■ you my Friends(all) 9 times”
how are you surprised

2 Likes

How about the devs build a parental lock on the setting. You, as the parent and owner of the PC, would then launch the game once and toggle the filter to “on,” lock the setting with a strong password/code on the Options screen, and leave the room for your kids to play. Same thing could be done with the blood/corpse settings. Problems solved!

What do you think?

2 Likes

You know… You really do touch a big ethical problem at SV and USA in general here and as extension of USA in the EU it isn’t one bit different sadly. Excellent interview btw.

Expect some direct targeting.

1 Like

The fact that the profanity filter is still in the game, after I’ve read almost exclusively all negative feedback from people is pretty lame. Just get rid of it!

5 Likes

I agree with this. Even if it worked properly, MS have to understand that not everyone is easily provoked. And tbh I actually enjoy trash talk in online gaming. Some people are too fragile emotionally, I guess? Having an option for this is understandable (even though i think they should just grow some resistance to it, that would benefit them on real life too), but this should then be optional.

3 Likes

I agree. Used to play AOE3 and AOE2 with my friends a lot and I really disliked the censoring. A toggle option(censored by default) would be great in my opinion so people can choose to disable it. I have a younger sibling who’s usually in the lobby with my friends as well and he prefers it to be censored.

1 Like

Profanity filter can never work properly for all cases, because people speak different languages and so this filter would need to correctly identify language before filtering words based on this language. It is just too hard to correctly identify language and improper words.

Many words also have multiple meanings in language. For example there are many words in english, which are both used to reference some type of animal and as an insult. It depends on context and correctly identifying context is certainly impossible for profanity filter.

Here are couple of examples of such words with multiple meanings. You just can’t filter them out automatically. Talking about farmer’s big ■■■■ or ■■■ is absolutely polite and civil.
https://www.google.com/search?q=■■■■
https://www.google.com/search?q=■■■
https://www.google.com/search?q=■■■■■

2 Likes

Dear Sir,

you made my day.

I would never have thought to read my player name somewhere in a forum. :joy:

Yeah, I don’t understand how my real name does offend anyone in anyway. I guess I’m a naturally born badass or the dot turns the name into something offensive …

… but jokes aside, it really bums me. I don’t like profanity filters. I can deal with bad language and being harressed, which didn’t even occur to me in AoE2DE yet and I don’t expect it to happen.

Having a profanity filter or not should be up to the players themselves as an option that they can toggle on or off. Really hope to see that implemented in the near future.

The funny thing is that my player name is only censored in the player list of the lobby and in the game itself, but not in the chat of the lobby - at least to me, not sure how others see my name.

Greetings,
felix.

1 Like

This whole ordeal might even give you a minority complex 11.

It’s good than you found this post though. And I can’t believe it’s been over a month and no word has been spoken about this from the devs. It’s disappointing to say the least.

See you on the field again, felix. Or, in FE language: …

Greetings,

Googolplex

2 Likes

honestly. seeing no react from the devs is blowing me away, is been 2 weeks and im starting to feel like the game isnt fun anymore, u cant even talk with people in lobbies, multiplayer games are more or less a social thing, and what makes a game FUN has to do with that as well, the fact that u cannot even hold a normal convesation with someone in chat because random harmless words are getting censored and that leads to the whole sentence being censored is just stupid and is clearly no what I’ve paid for when i bought the game.

6 Likes

now “11” is censored as well, this is reaching new levels of brain damage

10 Likes

Can someone tell me why every sentence with “11” on it is censored? This is heavily ridiculous and in order for the filter to work we have to wait 0.5/1 second, that time is vital for some of us, nobody asked for this, ruins the game, ruins the immersion, ruins the fun, ruins the everything. Man, isn’t the game for people over 13 anyways? Most people over 9 know more slurs than we all do combined so why censore it all… H_ell… (yes that is censored as well).

Also, “felix” you, whoever decided this was a good idea.

Ah, my newest starred word is:

Believe it or not, 11 (laughing) shows up as ** on my chat.

FE, please, when will you get rid of this ridiculous censorship??? Honestly, shame on you FE, for leaving this situation unattended for over a month now. Indeed, felix. you whoever decided this was a good idea.

I found a new one: n19. So this player name looks as follows: ‘dalton1965’ --> ‘dalto***65’

All I can say is… Shame…

1 Like

“n19” could be ineterpet as “nig” by the bot which is a shirt internet way of writing a racial slur in english. This bot is trying to act too smart and overextending a lot. this is the key of the problem of how it’s coded atm.

They should never have let this thing in without a toggle option. Let us turn it off and then experiment with it until you get it to work properly.

I’m surprised it censored 11 now. wow.

Thankfully it doesn’t kill entire sentences but rather just the supposedly bad words now.

1 Like

The worst thing here is that there is zero response from the team.
They are always like " we are reading the official forums, keep posting there". But how hard is it to respond to such important topics?

No need to respond to most stuff here, like balance, weird feature requests etc.
But why keep telling us to post on the “official forums”, when there is ZERO interaction or at least confirmation that they acknowledge stuff?

8 Likes

Age of Empires 1 DE is pretty much a failure. Age 2 DE is well on its way. My time playing this game has diminished over the past month. Please boycott all Microsoft products in the future. That’s what I’m doing. I refuse to support a company that forces politically correct ideals on their community. I refuse to even use Microsoft browsers.

4 Likes