Profanity Filter -> Optional

They are merging now everything here so it’s easier to ignore.

Devs, I noticed something today. The tech “Sanctity” contains the word t i t. SancTITy. This is highly offensive and having my 11-year old dog around it’s not appropriate. I’d like to request the removal of this tech or even better, censor it so I know you care.

18 Likes

and i dont understand why the admins are keep moving the bug reports to this thread? its a bug, its not a feature, chats getting censored because of using the numbers " 1 " " 11 " " 31 " or the letters " i " " L " etc is a BUG, not a profanity filter
why are the admins moving them here? its legit bug reprot

5 Likes

One of the devs @GMEvangelos replied in a different topic:
https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/the-devs-have-abandoned-us/74312

He conveniently closed the topic so nobody could reply to what he said. This is the interesting part:

As such, the team is working to find an optimal solution that strikes a healthy balance for the game and community.

THE OPTIMAL SOLUTION IS TO MAKE IT OPTIONAL and not force shit upon players. But apparently they are not considering this option at all.

Not to mention this filter is highly hypocrital. There’s techs, units, and parts of the GUI which are highly obscene and inappropriate and offensive and need to be censored as well.
keshik

17 Likes

You missed this part the dev said in that same topic, “While there remains a clear need for automatic filtering.”
That’s the best line of it all. Who NEEDS this automatic filtering? LMAO. Nobody asked for it. This was implemented by Microsoft themselves. Nowhere did I see ANYONE in this community say they NEED a censor filter in the game when HD or Voobly doesn’t have it themselves. The funny thing is these devs are clearly told what to say by Microsoft. They have no spine and are puppets you can tell.

7 Likes

The letter ‘L’ ‘l’ is also starred.

One funny fact is that this topic was created after the first implementation of this filter.
Certain numbers/phrases/etc, such as “11” were not censored.

They saw this (and other topics) with overwhelming dislike (at least 20 to 1) against the filter.

So how did they react? They made the filter even more nazi. Slow Clap

7 Likes

My name is now also censored. On score my name is ****** ******.

Microsoft should get in touch with the University of Southern California to inform them that the Trojan mascot is highly offensive. I had no idea that the movie Troy was such smut! That movie is full of Trojans, many of whom get wasted.

4 Likes

I like how the Devs flagged your post for calling them out. That’s how they operate around here… any type of criticism they have to hide it.

Skill, I wouldn’t compare Microsoft or these Devs to the Nazis. That’s actually an insult to Nazis IMO. I think they’re more on the other side of the spectrum if you ask me. I’m sure this post will get flagged too but I don’t care. They don’t listen to what the community says anyway. Especially with this filter.

1 Like

I understand with and agree with the reason for the profanity filter. It keeps the community healthy. However, it is way overdone. I think a less strict version should be mandatory because allowing people to bypass it will just allow toxic people to be toxic. But I think you should be able to toggle off a strict version and only have a less strict version. The strict version could ban anything interpreted as toxic (for kids or whoever, basically what it is now) and the less strict version would only ban obviously toxic words like the f word, etc…

Judging from some of the responses on this thread I can see why they felt the need to implement this and keep the community healthy…

There is no need for a mandatory filter. I don’t get offended by swear words or slurs, it’s not protecting me from anything. I would like to turn it off so I can see exactly what my friends or opponents are saying.

People will always find a way to be toxic with or without swear words. I remember when you could get banned on the Blizzard forum for writing TLDR. League of Legends had a reputation for being extremely toxic when most of that was just people saying “BAD”

4 Likes

As great as a (fully working) profanity filter can be, it NEEDS to be optional. Especially since many people are bi-lingual. I am from sweden and we use english terms and say them in swedish sentences, for example: (To) Quit/Stop in swedish is “sluta” and unconjugated remove the “a” well, tough luck :frowning:.
Profanity filters ALWAYS messes with non-english natives and are by design bound to, this issue is neglected in way to many games.
I have been silent about this issue because I mostly play with my brother and we talk over discord, but I had the weird experience that my name, Italian AI and the enemy AI flavor phrases when they resign was just *** ** ******** **** ****. This is already adressed by most in the community, but whether or not the profanity filter will be optional or no it MUST be improved, this won’t do.
I agree with there being a profanity filter by default, but you must have the option to opt-out and if the profanity-filter is this broken everyone is going to opt out.

6 Likes

No idea. I guess they think people rightfully saying they hate the filter is the same as people saying the filter is entirely broken.

1 Like

It’s getting worse, now the letter i by itself is censored, any phrase that contains the “I” on it is censored, also any sentece that contains an 11 is censored, this is totally stupid…

2 Likes

:**** *********** ****** ** **********

shakes head

I have isolated this issue to be a problem with Xbox Live, and not the game. Steam users do not have this censoring, provided they are not signed into Xbox Live at the same time. By default, message filtering is set to the highest level as specified in https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/family-online-safety/online-safety/safety-settings-for-messages. This setting is NOT modifiable via PC as the option is not present in account settings, but is modifiable via an Xbox console. Modifying the setting on a console will also affect the setting for PC.

I have contacted Xbox account support regarding this and they have confirmed that this is not implemented yet for PC. They are also unable to modify it directly as this setting is classified as personal information which they do not have authorization to change. The only way to get this fixed is to push attention to this issue as the Microsoft/Xbox developers may not be aware of this.

I have posted a report via Feedback Hub, comment on it so that it can get more attention. You can access this from [Start] > [Feedback Hub]. Select [Feedback] on the left menu, sort by [Most Recent], filter by [Problems], Device [PC], Category [Gaming and Xbox], Subcategory [All Other Games]. Feedback was submitted at time of posting this message, titled [Xbox account lacking options to modify message filtering on PC].

8 Likes

I can’t find your topic

Has it been merged with something else or do I just suck at searching?

If one of you is an insider and the other is not you will not see each other’s feedback hub posts.

I want to refuse to believe you, because that sound thoroughly stupid. But because of how bad the feedback hub is, I accept it. I can’t even change language, irritating.

Profanity filter doesn’t seem to be working as intended as it blocks numbers and safe words. It blocks taunt 11 for some reason, as well completely safe messages like the one in read (it was meant to be “I can’t read what you said” or something of the sort, and I believe the blocked word was ‘cant’ as I have seen other messages with that word being blocked as well.)

This is causing a lot of miscommunication in team matches.

May I suggest a profanity filter that 1) is more accurate and only block bad words and 2) a filter like the one from AOE3 in which one the bad word is blurred out, but the rest of the message can be read. This would prevent miscommunication.

This is a different topic altogether but if you don’t have a profanity filter that works, the least you could do was add a way to block people that do, in fact, use bad words constantly and neither me nor anyone else should have to bother with dealing with them.

1 Like

Try scroll to the top?