Progressive gameplay and RTS

I would describe Castle Siege as an AoE-branded game that draws from the same imaginary historical world as core AoE games but that otherwise doesn’t play or feel like an AoE game but yet still tends to draw existing fans of AoE and keep us entertained and in the same community while we wait patiently for a traditional AoE release. And if that’s how you walk into AoE: Castle Siege, you would find it is actually quite successful at all this. It’s got a tighter community than I’ve ever seen in any game. It can suck you in until you have made teammates and friends with dozens of people around the world. It’s a mobile tower defense app and not a PC real time strategy game. But it’s good on its own merits and dutifully kept the brand warm while MS got down to the important and complicated and ambitious business of developing an AAA heir to the AoE thrown.

Castle Siege is not for everyone and was always going to go down in history as a kinda frivolous tangent in franchise history. It didn’t aim particularly high, but it nailed its targets. Relic would be wise to apply some of its lessons (like the optional but really cool alliance system) to AoE4.

Thanks for clarifying @“Andy P”.

It sounds just like a game my sons like to play on their smartphones, but I know for sure it’s not CS. It also sounds like a MOBA ARTS which I don’t have any problems with if it’s optional gameplay. The idea of bringing alliances to AOE4 I do like too.

I don’t like playing on my mobile, also stopped with smartphone use in general. Too much distraction and people just always expect you to respond asap, so I decided to lower my APM some on my smartphone, my smartphone always has been a business tool and so is useless without having business anymore.

And yet they still call me privately. :slight_smile:

@PCS70 said:
@IamDalv But I would like to hear though if there’s anything you would like to add to the AOE IV version.

Regarding that mode? Well, it would be a nice addition, although I only need a matchmaking and stats like in voobly where you can also see past games stats and their recorded games. But I’m not sure how successful the aforementioned mode would be, I don’t think it had a lot of success in TW: Shogun 2. But there’s always room for improvement. Btw, Rise of Nations had something similar to that if I remember correctly.

@IamDalv
Wouldn’t that mode you are talking about turn AOE too much into a turn based kind of game?

I agree with you on more stats and game streaming for sure. I think those would be a big improvement regarding competitive play and could attract a lot of new players. No, you won’t find me high up those ladders, but that’s not important to me (anymore).

I don’t know Voobly at all, twitch I heard from. Still I think regarding streaming they should not depend for that on a third party or website. Just take a look how DOTA does these things in my humble opinion. That part has been extremely well integrated into the game. Only that part to be clear!

That’s the reason why I’m for revamping the main GUI interface. Like I said before, it’s really from an age of empires ago. :wink:

Thanks for your feedback btw.