Projectile dispersion area is a square instead of a circle

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.59165.0 8311018
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam (not related to bug)
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 (not related to bug)

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The area in which missed projectiles land is actually a square, instead of a circle. This is one of the reasons (if not the only reason, in case the other bugs related to this have all been fixed), that units with a chance to miss their projectiles are less accurate when missing shots than they should be, since, if the dispersion area was a circle instead, it would be a bit smaller on all edges.
When this gets fixed, missed shots will have a slightly higher chance to still hit their intended target, and the Dispersion value of units will better represent their actual Dispersion.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Give a unit the following stats:
  • 0% Accuracy
  • 0< tiles Dispersion (~0.2 should be enough for demonstration)
  • very low Reload Time, so enough projectiles can be fired before they decay and the dispersion shape becomes invisible (0.01 seconds, for instance)
  • 0 Frame Delay
  • a Projectile that’s easy to see after hitting the ground (example: Javelin)
  • no Secondary Projectiles, as they have their own accuracy values (you can use multiple projectiles if you want, but then only use Primary Projectiles, so they use the unit’s Accuracy and Dispersion)
  • very high range, for testing purpose
  1. Set up a scenario where many of these newly set up units can attack something from a large distance

→ Result: Projectiles land in a square instead of a circle

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Projectiles land in a circle

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

^ Several modded Cobra Cars firing javelins at target
→ Shape of Dispersion area is a square instead of a circle

:arrow_forward: Category

Gameplay, Modding

:arrow_forward: Priority

Very low

1 Like

Your test image made me think of this
Fe-Rpr

1 Like

Haha, that’s exactly what I was going for! I just need to lower the projectile arc and give the projectiles an instantly dying petard-like unit as dead unit, so that the projectiles can inflict area damage while still being inaccurate (units with area attack and 0% accuracy deal 0 damage).

1 Like

HI @Stitch3s712 !

We consider this behaviour as designed. Thanks for your detailed report anyway!

1 Like

Hello, sorry for the late reply!
Is there any chance this could be changed in the future then? I believe it would make much more sense if it was a circle, for one because it would make more sense logically, and also because the game pretty much moved from squares in AoE1 to circles in every aspect of the game where it made sense, such as units. Even “fake circles” would be okay if they’re easier to implement I guess, where there are still full tiles used, but the area is cut off on the 4 corners a bit.

1 Like