Hello to the entire community! I hope you’re enjoying Age of Empires IV and are excited about the upcoming expansion. I believe I’ve found a way to make the game’s Matchmaking system fairer and more satisfying for the player base, both in 1v1 matches and team matches. I can anticipate possible drawbacks, but I’m prepared to address relevant questions.
Matchmaking System based on Patience/Impatience Rank Level Parameters.
Currently, the Matchmaking system tends to match players or teams more or less evenly depending on the waiting time for one of the two players or teams in the queue. The result of this is that, on several occasions, you or your opponent wait for a match for 10 minutes only to end up with mostly unbalanced games. This is because the player traffic isn’t high enough for the current system to be satisfactory, especially in team games and at the highest and lowest rankings in 1v1. Therefore, we need to explore other avenues. In Gold, Platinum, or Diamond 1v1 matches, this problem isn’t as prevalent, although they might occasionally match with a high-level player.
My solution would be as follows: There would be three search parameters based on your patience or impatience and the balance or imbalance in finding matches. The three parameters would be Very Patient, Patient, and Impatient.
- Very Patient: From minute 1, you can play against players of your same level. If you’re in Platinum I, you’ll only be matched with Platinum I players, and if you’re in Conqueror III, only with Conqueror III players. You’ll have a longer search time, but you’ll have completely balanced matches.
- Patient: Unlike “Very Patient,” you can play against players of your same level, but also one level above and one level below. If I’m in Platinum I, I can be matched with a Gold III or a Platinum II player (provided they have the same “Patient” parameter). If I’m in Conqueror III, I can be matched with a Conqueror III and a Conqueror II player, as long as the Conqueror II player has the “Patient” parameter as well. You’ll still have to wait a bit, but for a shorter time, and there can still be good balance in the matches.
- Impatient: In this parameter, you can be matched against players of your same level, up to 2 levels higher or 2 levels lower. If you’re in Platinum I, you could be matched with a Platinum III or an Gold II player. If you’re in Conqueror III, you can only be matched against Conqueror I, II, and III players, as long as those players have the parameter activated.
- The system would ALWAYS prioritize, within the selected parameter, matching players who are closer in Elo/Rank level score. For example: If I’m in Platinum I, I choose “Impatient,” and there’s 1 Platinum I, 1 Gold II, and 1 Platinum III in the queue, it would prioritize matching me with the Platinum I.
- A player with the Impatient parameter can be matched with a player with the Patient parameter, as long as their parameters match in the queue (they are 2 players of similar level, for example).
- In team games, an average Elo score would be established among the players on the same team. For example: Player with Diamond II (1250 Elo) and teammate with Platinum III (1180 Elo) = Team Rank level: (1250 + 1180)/2 = 1215 (Diamond I). Team players (especially in 3v3 and 4v4) need to understand that the “very patient” and “patient” system may involve a long wait, but it will result in balanced matches. It’s your choice. Even some one more parameter could be added in those modes.
- My system would reward all types of players, depending on the parameters they choose.
Mid-level players won’t be affected because they will continue to be matched against players of approximately their skill level (without experiencing highly unbalanced matches anymore), while lower Elo, higher Elo, and team players will see improved matchmaking.
If you find a flaw, I invite you to comment on it, and if I need to make corrections, I’ll be happy to edit it.