Khmer have the most bonuses for Elephants for historical reasons, but now they don’t need them anymore. Meanwhile Burmese need something to do other than Arambai, and they need something against archers. Elephants with +1 PA would be -in some ways- better vs archers than knights are, but it’s not worth getting the UT. If you get the castle up, you might as well make Arambai.
Changes aiming to nerf Khmer Elephants:
- change the elephant speed bonus into a UT
- remove the elephant attack bonus
Changes aiming to buff Burmese elephants:
- make the +1/+1 armour bonus a civ bonus instead of a UT
- change the UT to give elephants more attack
After this there is a problem that the Khmer and Persian UTs would be too similar. I’d propose to change this in a manner which buffs WE when they are weak, without effecting their late game (much)
Changes to Persian UT:
- Remove the Mamouts technology and implement the WE speed increase in the base WE stats
- Make the UT instead grant WE scout-style conversion resistance.
Monks would probably still counter small numbers of WE, but at least they wouldn’t counter them as badly. In the situations where WE are strong, monks are unworkable anyway because of the micro requirement, so I don’t think the buff would make WE too strong in any situation.
If these changes are implemented, I hope we could one day see BE being buffed again, rather than the constant onslaught of minor nerfs the unit has been facing.